Distance from a 3-Space Line to a Point

In summary, the distance between the line x=3t-1, y=2-t, z=t and the point (2,0,-5) can be found by taking the cross product of the vector from the point to the line and the direction vector of the line, divided by the length of the direction vector. This will give the minimum distance between the point and the line.
page13

Homework Statement

Find the distance between the line x=3t-1, y=2-t, z=t and the point (2,0,-5)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm assuming I need to use the formula D=[ax+by+cz+d]/root(a^2+b^2+c^2) and I'm guessing I need to use (3,-1,1), extracted from the parametric line equation as the parallel vector, and possibly also the point (-1,2,0), extracted from the same. But not sure how to proceed??

Physics news on Phys.org
Minimize the distance from (x,y,z) to (3,-1,1). The distance D just a function of t. Use calculus. Hint: you'll find it's nicer to minimize D^2.

There is a way to do this using vector projection, does anyone remember it?

I think you are on the right track. What I would do, instead of minimizing the distance, is to take advantage of the geometry.

Draw a vector [tex]\vec{p}[/tex] from the origin to the point. Draw another vector from the origin to the parameterized vector function: [tex]\vec{r}(t) = (3t-1, 2-t, t)[/tex].

Now, let [tex]\vec{d}[/tex] be the vector from the point to the place on the line at time t. In other words, [tex]\vec{p} + \vec{d} = \vec{r}(t)[/tex].

It might help to draw a picture. Once you do, you will notice that the minimum distance will occur when [tex]\vec{d}[/tex] is perpindicular to [tex]\vec{r}(t)[/tex] and hence also orthogonal to [tex]\vec{r}'(t)[/tex].

So all you need to do is use what you know about the dot product and orthogonality to solve for when d and r'(t) are orthogonal, and you can find the distance from there.

Call the point on the line P, the point off the line Q, and a direction vector for the line D. Draw the perpendicular from Q to the line hitting the line at S. Let

[tex]\vec V = PQ,\ \hat D = \frac {\vec D}{|\vec D|}\hbox{ and }\theta\hbox{ be the angle between }\vec V \hbox{ and }\hat D[/tex].

From the right triangle PQS you have formed you can see the distance from the point to the line is:

[tex]d = |\vec V| \sin\theta[/tex]

But this is the same as the magnitude of the cross product:

[tex] d = |\vec V \times \hat D|[/tex]

That is the most direct way to get the distance because it is easy to write down

[tex]\vec V \hbox{ and }\hat D[/tex]

and take the cross product and its length.

1. What is the concept of distance from a 3-space line?

The distance from a 3-space line refers to the shortest distance between a point and a line in a three-dimensional space.

2. How is the distance from a 3-space line calculated?

The distance from a 3-space line is calculated using the formula d = |ax + by + cz + d| / √(a^2 + b^2 + c^2), where (a,b,c) is a direction vector of the line and (x,y,z) is a point on the line.

3. What is the significance of calculating the distance from a 3-space line?

Calculating the distance from a 3-space line is useful in many applications, such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. It helps in determining the closest point on a line to a given point, which is essential in solving various geometric and physical problems.

4. Can the distance from a 3-space line be negative?

No, the distance from a 3-space line is always positive. This is because the absolute value function is used in the calculation, which ensures that the result is always a positive value.

5. How does the distance from a 3-space line differ from the distance from a 2-space line?

The distance from a 3-space line takes into account the additional dimension of depth, while the distance from a 2-space line only considers the two dimensions of length and width. This means that the distance from a 3-space line will always be longer than the distance from a 2-space line, assuming the same point and line are being compared.