Distance from a point to a plane

In summary, the task is to find the distance from a point (3,0,10) to a plane with the equation 2x+3y+z=2. The formula used for this is D= absv(ax+by+cd)/ sqrt(a^2+b^2+c^2). The attempt at a solution involves finding the normal vector of the plane, which is 2i + 3j + k. By plugging in the values, the distance is calculated to be sqrt(14).
nns91

Homework Statement

Find the distance from (3,0,10) to the plane 2x+3y+z=2

Homework Equations

D= absv(ax+by+cd)/ sqrt(a^2+b^2+c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found vector n= 2i + 3j + k

Thus, the distance is 16/sqrt(14). Can you guys check the result for me ? I am not sure if I am right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your vector n is the normal to the plane. Can you show us how you got the distance you show?

That's how I have solved this question :
[; ax+by+cz+d=0 \rightarrow 2x+3y+z-2=0 \\
(x_0,y_0,z_0) \rightarrow (3,0,10) \\
D=\frac{a\cdot x_0+b\cdot y_0+c\cdot z_0-d}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2+c^2}}
= \frac{2\cdot3+3\cdot0+1\cdot10-2}{\sqrt{2^2+3^2+1^2}}=\frac{14}{\sqrt{14}}=\sqrt{14} ;]

http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=13210615.gif"

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the two answers shown: 16/sqrt(14) and sqrt(14), I agree with the latter.

Related to Distance from a point to a plane

1) What is the distance from a point to a plane?

The distance from a point to a plane is the shortest distance between the point and any point on the plane. It is perpendicular to the plane and can be measured using a straight line.

2) How do you calculate the distance from a point to a plane?

To calculate the distance from a point to a plane, you can use the formula: d = |ax + by + cz + d| / √(a^2 + b^2 + c^2), where (x,y,z) is the coordinates of the point and (a,b,c) is the normal vector of the plane.

3) Can the distance from a point to a plane be negative?

No, the distance from a point to a plane is always a positive value. If the point is on the same side of the plane as the normal vector, the distance will be positive. If the point is on the opposite side, the distance will be negative.

4) Why is the distance from a point to a plane important?

The distance from a point to a plane is important in many applications, including computer graphics, engineering, and physics. It can be used to determine the shortest distance between two objects or to calculate the angle between a point and a plane.

5) How does the distance from a point to a plane relate to the equation of a plane?

The equation of a plane (ax + by + cz + d = 0) can be used to find the distance from a point to a plane. The absolute value of the constant term (d) divided by the square root of the sum of the squares of the coefficients (a,b,c) is equal to the distance from the point to the plane.