Distance from a point to tangent plane

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of the normal line and the point at a distance of 4 from the tangent plane at a given point P0 on a surface defined by the equation f(x, y, z) = -x2 + sin(y) - 2z2 = 0 in 3 dimensions. The equations for the normal line and tangent plane are provided, but there is a mistake in the original problem as the point P0 does not lie on the surface. The speaker is unsure of how to use the distance formula to find the point and is seeking guidance on how to approach the problem.
rac_se
f(x, y, z) = x2 + sin(y) - 2z2 = 0 defines a surface in 3 dimensions. First I need to find the equation of the normal line to the surface at point P0(2pi, 0, 3/2). Then, I need to find the point which is at a distance of 4 from the tangent plane at the point P0

Equation for the normal line at a point P0 is given by:
x = x0 + fx(Po)t
y = y0 + fy(Po)t
z = z0 + fz(Po)t

Equation for the tangent plane is given by:
fx(P0)(x-xo) + fy(P0)(y-yo) + fz(P0)(z-zo)

I used the first equation to find the normal line at P0 and the answer I got is:
x = 2pi-4pi*t
y= t
z = 3/2 - 6t
I know that the distance between a point P0 on a plane with normal n and a point P is given by the dot product of the vector projection of P0P and n/|n|. I get the equation for normal n from first part. But, |n| =sqrt(x2 + y 2 + z2) gives very complicated result. Then, I am not sure how to use the distance formula to find the point. Or, there is some other way to solve this problem.

I hope someone could guide me on how to approach this problem. This is the first time I am posting to this forum. So, please correct me if I made any mistake

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The point P0 isn't on the surface. Are you sure you copied the problem down correctly?

I am sorry, but yes there is a little mistake, the function that defines the surface is:

f(x, y, z) = -x2 + sin(y) - 2z2 = 0

I missed the minus sign before x2

f(P0) still won't equal 0, so P0 doesn't lie on the surface.

1. What is the formula for finding the distance from a point to a tangent plane?

The formula for finding the distance from a point to a tangent plane is given by d = |Ax₀ + By₀ + Cz₀ + D| / √(A² + B² + C²), where (x₀, y₀, z₀) is the coordinates of the point and A, B, C, and D are the coefficients of the equation of the tangent plane.

2. How is the distance from a point to a tangent plane related to the normal vector of the plane?

The distance from a point to a tangent plane is equal to the absolute value of the dot product between the normal vector of the plane and the vector from the point to any point on the plane. This means that the distance is perpendicular to the plane and is the shortest distance between the point and the plane.

3. Can the distance from a point to a tangent plane be negative?

No, the distance from a point to a tangent plane is always positive. This is because it is the shortest distance between the point and the plane, and cannot be negative.

4. How is the distance from a point to a tangent plane calculated in three-dimensional space?

The distance from a point to a tangent plane in three-dimensional space is calculated using the formula d = |Ax₀ + By₀ + Cz₀ + D| / √(A² + B² + C²), where (x₀, y₀, z₀) are the coordinates of the point and A, B, C, and D are the coefficients of the equation of the tangent plane.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding the distance from a point to a tangent plane?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding the distance from a point to a tangent plane. For example, in engineering, this concept is used in the design of curved surfaces, such as the wings of an airplane. It is also used in physics to calculate the distance between a particle and a curved surface. In computer graphics, this concept is used to render 3D objects realistically. Additionally, it is used in navigation and surveying to calculate the distance between a point and a curved surface, such as the Earth's surface.