Distance of Closest Approach Between Two Charges

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter gracy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Approach Charges
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
70 replies · 12K views
jbriggs444 said:
they yield equal but opposite torques
Which results in zero torque.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
Which results in zero torque.
That depends on what you are talking about.

If you are talking about net torque on the system within which both objects are members, then the net torque on that system is zero, yes. That is one way of coming up with the idea that angular momentum must be conserved in a closed system.

If you are talking about the torque on one object or the other then the torque on that object will not be zero [except for the corner case when the "equal but opposite" torques are both zero].
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gracy
gracy said:
What's that?
You really do need to use google. Or read books.
 
jbriggs444 said:
You really do need to use google.
Shall I type" corner case in torque"?
 
Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
corner case
I think you meant extreme case and that's what I asked when and how that occurs in case of torque ?
jbriggs444 said:
If you are talking about the torque on one object or the other then the torque on that object will not necessarily be zero
I think I have got enough and helpful answers in this thread .Thanks .Not going to ask any further questions on this.
 
jbriggs444 said:
The location of ##q_1## is a good choice for a reference point. The fact that it is not moving (in your chosen coordinates) is one reason. Another good reason is because whatever external force holds ##q_1## in place exerts no torque if we choose the location of ##q_1## as the reference point.
In my opinion:
The fact that q1 is stationary, implies that the system of the two particles (charges) is not closed (isolated). There are external forces on q1, keeping it stationary as it interacts with q2. There is a non-zero torque on this system about its center of mass.​

That being said, you can consider the two charges as a system, and as jbriggs444 states, " whatever external force holds ##q_1## in place exerts no torque" {on the system} "if we choose the location of ##q_1## as the reference point."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gracy
In a pm, gracy asked:
Why are we even taking angular momentum into account{?} I can't see any rotational motion.I mean what will I take in place of r in angular momentum formula L=mvr as r has to be radius of rotation.
​
See Posts #28 and #35. They're gracy's posts.

See what briggs said in post # 34.

Calculate angular momentum as I suggested in post #60.
(I've got to get to my office now. Let briggs continue to help, as he is able.)

(This post has been edited slightly. No relevant content was changed.)
 
Last edited:
The gentle advice from Vanadium 50 in #49 seems most appropriate. All that need be said has been said. We are doing gracy no favors by responding.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BvU