Horizontal Distance of Cannon Fired at 30 Degrees: 85,000m

• Thread starter ucdawg12
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the horizontal distance in meters that a projectile launched at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal with a muzzle velocity of 980m/s will travel before striking the ground. The correct answer is 85,000 meters, which can be found by calculating the time it takes for the projectile to reach its peak and then return to the ground. The initial velocity in the horizontal direction is 850m/s, and the time it takes for the projectile to return to the ground is 100 seconds. This results in a total horizontal distance traveled of 85,000 meters.
ucdawg12
Here is the question: A large cannon is fired over level ground at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. The muzzle velocity is 980m/s. What horizontal distance (in meters) will the projectile travel before striking the ground?

I know the answer, it is 85,000 meters, however I am having trouble arriving at that answer myself. Here is what I am doing. First I find how long it is in the air, I find the 980sin(30) to find the vertical velocity of 490. then I use the v=v(initial) + at, 0 = 490 +(-9.8t), t=50. Then to find the horizontal distance I do 980cos(30) = 850. Then v=x/t, vt=x, 850(50)=43000. But that isn't the right answer. Does anyone know what I did wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
you are basically right, BUT, who told you the final velocity is zero? could it be zero in your case? if not, what is it?

oh god I just realized what I did, right, when the velocity was 0 the t was 50seconds but that only meant that it took 50 seconds to reach its peak, it would take another 50 seconds for it to come back down so it is 850(100)=x=85000m.

1. What is the horizontal distance of a cannon fired at 30 degrees with a range of 85,000m?

The horizontal distance of a cannon fired at 30 degrees with a range of 85,000m is approximately 73,752.17m.

2. How is the horizontal distance of a cannon calculated?

The horizontal distance of a cannon is calculated using the formula: d = R * cos(theta), where d is the horizontal distance, R is the range, and theta is the angle of elevation.

3. What is the angle of elevation needed to achieve a horizontal distance of 85,000m?

The angle of elevation needed to achieve a horizontal distance of 85,000m is approximately 30.96 degrees.

4. What other factors can affect the horizontal distance of a cannon fired at 30 degrees?

Other factors that can affect the horizontal distance of a cannon include air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the mass and velocity of the projectile.

5. How accurate is the calculation of the horizontal distance of a cannon fired at 30 degrees?

The calculation of the horizontal distance of a cannon fired at 30 degrees is an idealized calculation and may not fully account for all real-world factors. However, it provides a good estimate of the horizontal distance given the initial conditions.