Distance the dog has to travel to catch a ball - projectile motion

In summary, Jaime throws a tennis ball at an angle of 60° with an initial speed of 10.2m/s and from a height of 196cm. If Skip was standing beside her when she threw the ball, Skip would have to run 10.21275m to catch the ball just the moment before it hits the ground.
dani123

Homework Statement

Jaime is outside playing with her dog, Skip. She throws a tennis ball at an angle of 60° with an initial speed of 10.2m/s and from a height of 196cm. If Skip was standing beside her when she threw the ball, how far would Skip have to run in order to catch the ball just the moment before it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

dv=1/2*at2
dh=Vh*Δt
Kinetic equation d=Vi*t+ 1/2*at2
dh=-V2*sin2θ /g
sinθ=opp/hyp
cosθ=adj/hyp
Δt=-2Vsinθ / g

The Attempt at a Solution

dv= sin(60)*10.2m/s= 8.83m

The actual vertical height for the dog is 1.96m+8.83m=10.8m

t=√[10.8m/(0.5)*(9.8)]=1.48s

Then dv=1/2*at2= 25.9m

If someone could just verify my work and make sure my answers are correct that would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you could check my significant figures are being respected. Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you get that height for the height of the dog? -where does the 8.83m come from?

What I did is found the time using s=ut+1/2at^2, solved that, got two answers, one of them negative which isn't valid.
Using this equation 10.2*t*sin60 -4.9t^2 +1.96=0, and solving gives the time as 2.0025 seconds. Then multiply this by the speed of the ball, negating air resistance, to get the horizontal distance. This gives you 2.0025*10.2cos60 = 10.21275m.

Thank you so much for your time to look and address the issues i am having with this problem. I am just a little confused when it comes to the variables you used. What does the s represent? and same question goes for the u? If you clarify this with me that would be fantastic! thanks!

Oh, s is the distance, u is the initial speed, v is the final speed a as acceleration and t as time.

Thank you!

This is a really stupid question but what do you by you got two answers and one of them was negative?

I redid the question and got 10.21m as well! Thank you very much! :)

1. How is the distance a dog has to travel to catch a ball calculated in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the distance a dog has to travel to catch a ball is calculated using the equation d = v0t + (1/2)at2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation takes into account both the horizontal and vertical components of the motion.

2. What factors affect the distance a dog has to travel to catch a ball in projectile motion?

The distance a dog has to travel to catch a ball in projectile motion is affected by the initial velocity, the angle at which the ball is thrown, the air resistance, and the height at which the ball is released. Other factors such as wind and surface friction can also play a role.

3. How does the mass of the ball affect the distance the dog has to travel to catch it?

The mass of the ball does not directly affect the distance the dog has to travel to catch it in projectile motion. However, a heavier ball will have a greater momentum and may travel further than a lighter ball when thrown with the same initial velocity and angle.

4. Can the distance a dog has to travel to catch a ball in projectile motion be increased?

Yes, the distance a dog has to travel to catch a ball in projectile motion can be increased by increasing the initial velocity or the angle at which the ball is thrown. However, there are limits to how much the distance can be increased due to factors such as air resistance and the height at which the ball is released.

5. How does the height at which the ball is released affect the distance the dog has to travel to catch it?

The height at which the ball is released affects the distance the dog has to travel to catch it in projectile motion. A higher release height will result in a longer flight time and therefore a greater distance for the dog to travel. This is because the ball will have more time to travel horizontally before it reaches the ground.