Solving Distance of Train from Start to Stoppage

• Thread starter Canha
  • Start date
In summary, the train goes at 280km/h and starts to break with a constant acceleration of -2m/s-2. It performs until it stops completely. The equation for constant acceleration is needed to find the distance the train traveled. The equations for kinematics were used to find the position of the train before it stopped.
Canha

Homework Statement

Train goes at 280km/h. Starts breaking with a constant acceleration of -2m/s-2. How many meters does it perform until it stops completely? Sorry if the English is poor.

Homework Equations

If I had them I probably wouldn't be asking.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, 280km/h equals to about 77.78 m/s. Great, what now?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are going to do kinematic exercises you should know the basic equations.

[tex]v=v_{0}+at[/tex]
[tex]v^{2}=v^{2}_{0}+2ae[/tex]
[tex]x=x_{0}+v_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]

Try with those, one should work, and write them down for the next problems.

Canha said:

Homework Statement

Train goes at 280km/h. Starts breaking with a constant acceleration of -2m/s-2. How many meters does it perform until it stops completely? Sorry if the English is poor.

Homework Equations

If I had them I probably wouldn't be asking.

Constant acceleration is the hint. There are kinematic equations that should be used to answer this question.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, 280km/h equals to about 77.78 m/s. Great, what now?:confused:

ok. that's a start. =) write down your knowns: v initial, v final, a. Your unknown is distance.

I do know the first and third, but those don't seem to help do they? What do I do with the time in there? I don't have any reference to the time. What's the 'e' in the second one?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh, should I discover the time at which the final v is at 0 and then substitute in the motion equation to find out the position?

Last edited:
look at your knowns and look at the equations.

e is distance

Canha said:
I do know the first and third, but those don't seem to help do they? What do I do with the time in there? I don't have any reference to the time. What's the 'e' in the second one?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh, should I discover the time at which the final v is at 0 and then substitute in the motion equation to find out the position?
Don't need to find time!

mizzy said:
Don't need to find time!

But would it work?
Anyway I never heard about the second equation but it did work! I don't understand but it did lol.

those are the 3 main equations to know for constant acceleration

mizzy said:
those are the 3 main equations to know for constant acceleration

I don't think I would pull this off in an exam (now I would).

Thank you both!

you're welcome =)

1. How do you calculate the distance of a train from start to stoppage?

To calculate the distance of a train from start to stoppage, you will need to know the speed of the train, the time it takes to travel from start to stoppage, and the acceleration of the train. You can use the formula d = (v0 * t) + (1/2 * a * t^2) to calculate the distance, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

2. What factors affect the distance a train travels from start to stoppage?

The distance a train travels from start to stoppage is affected by the speed of the train, the time it takes to travel, the acceleration of the train, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance. The weight and length of the train can also affect the distance traveled.

3. Can the distance of a train from start to stoppage be different for different trains?

Yes, the distance a train travels from start to stoppage can vary depending on the speed, acceleration, and weight of the train. Different trains may also have different braking systems that can affect the distance traveled.

4. How can the distance of a train from start to stoppage be measured?

The distance of a train from start to stoppage can be measured using various methods such as GPS tracking, radar, or laser distance measuring devices. Train operators may also use landmarks or track signals to estimate the distance traveled.

5. Is it possible to calculate the distance of a train from start to stoppage without knowing the speed and time?

No, the speed and time are essential components in calculating the distance of a train from start to stoppage. Without this information, it would not be possible to accurately determine the distance traveled by the train.