Distance until a spherical wave is seen as a plane wave.

Your Name]In summary, the problem involves finding the distance at which the phase of a spherical wave deviates by less than 45° from that of a plane wave, for an observer interacting with the light across a small area. This requires using the equations for a spherical wave, a plane wave, and a circle, and considering the geometry of the problem.
Bhumble

Homework Statement

A point source emits a spherical wave with lambda = 450 nm.
If an observer is far away from the source and he/she is only interacting with the light across a small area, one can approximate the local wave as a plane wave. How far from the source must the observer be so that the phase of the wave deviates from that of a plane wave by less than 45° (pi/4 rad) over an illuminated spot 2 cm in diameter?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure if my equations are correct but this is what I've gathered/assumed so far.
Spherical Wave

[tex] \Psi = \frac{A}{r} \cos{r +/- vt}[/tex]

Plane Wave

[tex]\Psi = A \cos{x -/+ vt}[/tex]

I'm set them equal to each other and solved for x which left me with x= r -/+ 2ct.
Since this is light.

Any help with problem setup is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

You are on the right track with your equations. However, there are a few things to consider in order to properly set up this problem.

First, make sure you are using the correct equation for a spherical wave. The equation you have written is for a plane wave, not a spherical wave. The correct equation for a spherical wave is:

\Psi = \frac{A}{r} e^{ikr}

where A is the amplitude, r is the distance from the source, k is the wave number (equal to 2\pi/\lambda), and e is the base of the natural logarithm.

Next, you will need to consider the geometry of the problem. The observer is far away from the source, so the wave can be approximated as a plane wave. This means that the wavefronts are nearly parallel, and the wave can be described by a single value for the phase (x in your equation). This value will be the same at any point along the wavefront.

To find the distance at which the phase deviates by less than 45° over a 2 cm diameter spot, you will need to use the equation for a circle:

(x - x_0)^2 + (y - y_0)^2 = r^2

where (x_0, y_0) is the center of the spot and r is the radius (1 cm in this case). This equation will give you a range of values for x, representing the points within the spot where the phase deviates by less than 45°.

Finally, you can use the equation for a plane wave to find the distance from the source at which the phase deviates by 45°. This will give you two possible values, one for each direction of propagation (i.e. -/+ in your equation).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

FAQ: Distance until a spherical wave is seen as a plane wave.

What is a spherical wave?

A spherical wave is a type of wave that propagates outward in all directions from a single source. It is characterized by a wavefront that forms a sphere around the source.

What is a plane wave?

A plane wave is a type of wave that propagates in a single direction with a constant amplitude and phase. It is characterized by parallel wavefronts that are perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

What is the distance until a spherical wave is seen as a plane wave?

The distance until a spherical wave is seen as a plane wave is known as the "far-field" or "Fraunhofer distance". It is the point at which the curvature of the wavefront becomes negligible and the wave can be approximated as a plane wave.

How is the distance until a spherical wave is seen as a plane wave calculated?

The distance until a spherical wave is seen as a plane wave is calculated using the equation D = 2L²/λ, where D is the distance, L is the size of the source, and λ is the wavelength of the wave. This equation is based on the Fraunhofer diffraction pattern.

Why is it important to know the distance until a spherical wave is seen as a plane wave?

Knowing the distance until a spherical wave is seen as a plane wave is important for understanding the behavior of waves in different scenarios. It allows scientists to make accurate predictions and calculations in fields such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetics. It is also essential for designing and optimizing wave-based technologies and systems.