Distribution of weights and net force

In summary, changing the angle of applied force can alter the resultant force due to the vector nature of forces. A free body diagram can be used to determine the vector sum and it is important to consider both magnitude and direction when dealing with vectors.
SpicyRamen
Can someone explain to me why putting different weights in certain angles can alter the force. I was just doing a lab in class using a force table, where the weights dangled and you have to prevent the ring from touching the pole in the center. If the mass of the object doesn't change and ( I'm assuming the gravity is the same applying to all weights), why does the force become greater( or less) in certain areas? and what would one use find the resultant force of two angles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you look at that table and mentally see "x" and "y" axes? What angles would those axes be at?

Since forces are vectors, they can be "broken up" into x and y components. How do you do that?

What formulas describe static equilibrium.

Come back with some of these, or similar, questions answered and some work shown.

SpicyRamen said:
If the mass of the object doesn't change and ( I'm assuming the gravity is the same applying to all weights), why does the force become greater( or less) in certain areas?

Because the angle of applied force has changed.

SpicyRamen said:
...and what would one use find the resultant force of two angles?

The resultant force is the vector sum of the components.

"Because the angle of applied force has changed."

It can't be just as simple as that can it? Just the angle? Is there another factor that is acting on it that increases( or decreases) the force, besides the the angle, the mass, and gravity? I already turned in the lab before I made this thread so you guys don't have to worry about me leeching, I am just curious how changing a couple of degree, even if minor can have such a great affect.

SpicyRamen said:
"Because the angle of applied force has changed."

It can't be just as simple as that can it? Just the angle? Is there another factor that is acting on it that increases( or decreases) the force, besides the the angle, the mass, and gravity? I already turned in the lab before I made this thread so you guys don't have to worry about me leeching, I am just curious how changing a couple of degree, even if minor can have such a great affect.

Yes it is that simple.

Draw a free body diagram, which will help you determine the vector sum.

Think about what a vector is. It has magnitude AND direction. So as the direction (angle) changes so will the resultant force.

What is the distribution of weights?

The distribution of weights refers to the way in which the weight of an object or system is distributed among its different components or parts.

How is net force calculated?

Net force is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on an object or system, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

What is the relationship between distribution of weights and net force?

The distribution of weights affects the net force acting on an object or system. If the weights are evenly distributed, the net force will be balanced. If the distribution of weights is uneven, there will be a net force acting in a certain direction.

How does a change in distribution of weights affect net force?

A change in the distribution of weights can result in a change in the net force acting on an object or system. If the distribution becomes more uneven, the net force will increase. If the distribution becomes more even, the net force will decrease.

Why is understanding distribution of weights and net force important in science?

Understanding the distribution of weights and net force is important in science because it helps us to predict the motion and behavior of objects and systems. It also allows us to design and engineer structures and machines that can withstand and manipulate different forces.