• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Divergence and curl

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the divergence and curl of the vector field

A = (x/([tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]))i + (y/([tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]))j + (z/([tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]))k

3. The attempt at a solution

Im not going to go through the whole lot but i have done the whole Differentiation but it would take for ever to input it into this.

and i got the curl to be 0i+0j+0k and the divergence to be 0, is this possible or likely?

vela

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
According to Mathematica, the curl is 0, but the divergence isn't.

find the divergence and curl of the vector field

A = (x/([tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]))i + (y/([tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]))j + (z/([tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]))k

3. The attempt at a solution

Im not going to go through the whole lot but i have done the whole Differentiation but it would take for ever to input it into this.

and i got the curl to be 0i+0j+0k and the divergence to be 0, is this possible or likely?

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{A} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}(\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}})[/tex]

All three terms are not zero.

I'm really realy sorry, i inputed the question wrong here, the square root should be cubed like this

[tex]
\nabla \cdot \vec{A} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{x}{(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2})^3}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}(\frac{y}{(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2})^3}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(\frac{z}{(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2})^3})
[/tex]

thanks a million for the replys,but could you tell if mathematica gets 0 and 0 for the curl and div now, thanks

I'm really realy sorry, i inputed the question wrong here, the square root should be cubed like this

[tex]
\nabla \cdot \vec{A} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{x}{(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2})^3}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}(\frac{y}{(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2})^3}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(\frac{z}{(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2})^3})
[/tex]

thanks a million for the replys,but could you tell if mathematica gets 0 and 0 for the curl and div now, thanks
Hi why do you need mathematica to do the div for you. Just do some simple mental sums, apply product rule to each partial. Anyway its pretty clear that the div is zero.

vela

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Yes, the div A and curl A both vanish, at least for [itex](x,y,z)\ne(0,0,0)[/itex].

If you've taken a course on electromagnetism, you might have noticed that

[tex]\vec{A} = \frac{1}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]

which is like the electric field around a point charge, so you'd expect the divergence to be zero away from the origin. Also, knowing the electric force is conservative, you would expect the curl to be zero as well.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving