Answer: Calc III: Find Div(F) in Terms of r

In summary, Calc III is a college-level mathematics course that covers topics such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and partial derivatives. Div(F), or the divergence of a vector field, represents the rate at which a vector field is flowing out of a given point. When finding Div(F) in terms of r, we are calculating the divergence of the vector field with respect to the distance from the origin. This is important because it provides useful information about the behavior of the vector field and has various real-world applications in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and aerodynamics. The divergence of a vector field can be calculated using the formula div(F) = ∂F/∂x + ∂F/∂
craig16

Homework Statement

Let r = x i + y j + z k and R = |r|. Let F = r/R^p.

find div(F) in terms of r.. i can't figure out how to express it in therms of r

Homework Equations

div(F) = the gradient added together

Physics news on Phys.org
First: express F in terms of x,y,z
Second: Compute the divergence of F by hand
Third: try to identify r in div F

hahaha sweet.. i figured it out. I was thinkin it was just too complicated but when you replace all the stuff with r it works out nicely.

thanks!

1. What is Calc III?

Calc III, short for Calculus III, is a college-level mathematics course that builds upon the concepts learned in Calc I and Calc II. It covers topics such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and partial derivatives.

2. What does it mean to find Div(F) in terms of r?

Div(F) is the divergence of a vector field, which represents the rate at which a vector field is flowing out of a given point. In terms of r, this means that we are finding the divergence of the vector field with respect to the distance from the origin, which is denoted as r.

3. How is Div(F) calculated?

The divergence of a vector field, Div(F), can be calculated using the formula: div(F) = ∂F/∂x + ∂F/∂y + ∂F/∂z, where ∂F/∂x, ∂F/∂y, and ∂F/∂z represent the partial derivatives of the vector field in the x, y, and z directions respectively.

4. Why is finding Div(F) in terms of r important?

Expressing the divergence of a vector field in terms of r can provide useful information about the behavior of the vector field as the distance from the origin changes. It can also help in solving problems involving flux, divergence theorem, and other applications in physics and engineering.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding Div(F) in terms of r?

Finding Div(F) in terms of r has various applications in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and aerodynamics. It can help in analyzing the flow of fluids, calculating electric and magnetic fields, and predicting the behavior of air around objects like airplanes and rockets.