Divisibility problem with prime numbers

I'm going to assume you mean that if p divides the product of two integers, then it must divide one of the integers.In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving a prime number p, three integers a, b, and c, and their powers. The goal is to show that if p divides the sum of a, b, and c and p divides the sum of their fifth powers, then p must also divide either the sum of their squares or the sum of their cubes. The discussion involves using various equations and methods to prove this statement directly.
Detektyw

Homework Statement

Let's take a prime number p not equal to 5.
Now let's take three integers a,b,c.

Prove that if p | (a + b + c) [tex]\wedge[/tex] p | (a^5 + b^5 + c^5), then
p | (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) [tex]\vee[/tex] p | (a^3 + b^3 + c^3)

Homework Equations

I think:

(a + b + c)^2 = a^2 + b^2 + c^2 + 2ab + 2ac + 2bc
and
the same for third and fifth power.

The Attempt at a Solution

If either (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) or (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p, then the product of them will too be divisible by p.

(a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) = (a + b + c)^5 - 3(a + b + c)^2 * (ba^2 + ca^2 + ab^2 + cb^2 + ac^2 + bc^2 + 2ab) - 2(a + b + c)^3 * (ab + bc + ca) + 6(((a + b + c)^2 - (a^2 + b^2 + c^2)) * ((a + b + c)^3 - (a^3 + b^3 - c^3)))

(a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) = (a + b + c)^5 - 3(a + b + c)^2 * (ba^2 + ca^2 + ab^2 + cb^2 + ac^2 + bc^2 + 2ab) - 2(a + b + c)^3 * (ab + bc + ca) + 6((a + b +c)^5 - (a + b + c)^2 * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) - (a + b + c)^3 * (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) + (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3))

By moving 6 * (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) on the right hand side:

-5 * (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) = 7 * (a + b + c)^5 - 3 * (a + b + c)^2 * (ba^2 + ca^2 + ab^2 + cb^2 + ac^2 + bc^2 + 2ab) - 2 * (a + b + c)^3 * (ab + bc + ca) - 6 * (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a + b + c)^3 - 6 * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) * (a + b + c)^2

In a different arrangement:

-5 * (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) = (a + b + c)^2 * (7 * (a + b + c)^3 - 3 * (ba^2 + ca^2 + ab^2 + cb^2 + ac^2 + bc^2 + 2ab) - 2 * (a + b + c) * (ab + bc + ca) - 6 * (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a + b + c) - 6 * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3))

Which basically proves that 5 * (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p, as every term on the right hand side is a product of (a + b + c) and something else, which by the assumptions is divisible by p.

It seems that I'd have to figure out some way to prove that either (a + b + c)^2 is divisible by 5, or that 7 * (a + b + c)^3 - 3 * (ba^2 + ca^2 + ab^2 + cb^2 + ac^2 + bc^2 + 2ab) - 2 * (a + b + c) * (ab + bc + ca) - 6 * (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a + b + c) - 6 * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by 5, as either of these would prove the thesis.

Comments and hopefully pointers appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Detektyw

Physics news on Phys.org

Maybe I missed it, but I can't find anywhere that you have used the hypothesis that p | a + b + c.

Well, I'm using it to state that because I can factor out (a + b + c)^2 from the right hand side, this means that it's divisible by p.

In your very first line there is a problem.
Detektyw said:
If either (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) or (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p, then the product of them will too be divisible by p.
This is what you are trying to prove. You can't start off by assuming that either (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) or (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p.

If you want to do a proof by contradiction, you could assume that neither expression is divisible by p, and then work with your given information to establish a contradiction.

If you prove your statement directly, start with the given information that p is a prime not equal to 5, p | a + b + c, and p | a^5 + b^5 + c^5.

If p | a + b + c, then for some integer r, pr = a + b + c. Use the same sort of logic for p | a^5 + b^5 + c^5.

Sorry if I stated something wrong. The sentence "If either (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) or (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p, then the product of them will too be divisible by p." is true. Actually the thing I was using is the reverse, which is true as a, b and c are integers.

"If the product of (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) and (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p, then either (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) or (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p".

Now in the third step of the original post I set out to prove that (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p using the statements "p | (a + b + c) and p | (a^5 + b^5 + c^5)". Therefore, I don't assume that either (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) or (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p.

I'm aiming for a direct proof but seem to be a little stuck with the algebra here.

It's difficult following your logic here because some of your steps are huge ones and some are redundant. Some of the steps have explanations that are unclear. Example of huge step:
Detektyw said:
(a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) = (a + b + c)^5 - 3(a + b + c)^2 * (ba^2 + ca^2 + ab^2 + cb^2 + ac^2 + bc^2 + 2ab) - 2(a + b + c)^3 * (ab + bc + ca) + 6(((a + b + c)^2 - (a^2 + b^2 + c^2)) * ((a + b + c)^3 - (a^3 + b^3 - c^3)))
It's not at all obvious why the first term on the right side is (a + b + c)^5. When you multiply the two factors on the left, you'll have 9 terms, and will need to do a lot of rearranging to get (a + b + c)^5, or for that matter, (a + b + c)^2.

Example of redundant step. I believe these two equations are identical.
Detektyw said:

(a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) = (a + b + c)^5 - 3(a + b + c)^2 * (ba^2 + ca^2 + ab^2 + cb^2 + ac^2 + bc^2 + 2ab) - 2(a + b + c)^3 * (ab + bc + ca) + 6((a + b +c)^5 - (a + b + c)^2 * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) - (a + b + c)^3 * (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) + (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3))

Unclear descriptions.
Detektyw said:
By moving 6 * (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) on the right hand side:
Are you moving it to the right side? Or just moving it from one place on the right side to another place on the same side?
Detektyw said:
In a different arrangement:
What did you do to get the new arrangement?

Detektyw said:
Sorry if I stated something wrong. The sentence "If either (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) or (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p, then the product of them will too be divisible by p." is true. Actually the thing I was using is the reverse, which is true as a, b and c are integers.

"If the product of (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) and (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p, then either (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) or (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p".

Now in the third step of the original post I set out to prove that (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) * (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p using the statements "p | (a + b + c) and p | (a^5 + b^5 + c^5)". Therefore, I don't assume that either (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) or (a^3 + b^3 + c^3) is divisible by p.

I'm aiming for a direct proof but seem to be a little stuck with the algebra here.

There is a direct proof and I think you might already have it. To make stuff easier to write let's define f(n)=a^n+b^n+c^n. Then you claim to have written 5*f(2)*f(3) as an expression where each term contains factors of f(1) or f(5), correct? That's the same thing I found. I haven't checked your algebra, I've got my own to worry about. But if that's ok, then since p divides f(1) and f(5), p must divide 5*f(2)*f(3). And that's basically the end. Why are you worried about proving that things are divisible by 5?

This is wrong . 2ab in the second line can't be right and the last minus sign has to be a plus because of symmetry. even with 2abc instead of 2ab and +c^3 instead of c^3 it's still wrong. try a=b=1, c=0.

I used computations (mod p) myself. All equations are (mod p) from this point.

we know a = - (b+c) and a^5 = -(b^5 + c^5)

a^5 = - (b+c)^5 = -(b^5 + c^5) => 5 bc (b^3+2b^2c+2bc^2+c^3) =
5bc[(b+c)^3 - b^2c - bc^2] = 0
p isn't 5, so bc[(b+c)^3 - b^2c - bc^2] = 0 (lemma 1)

now let's compute (a^2+b^2+c^2)(a^3+b^3+c^3) =
a^5+b^5+c^5 + a^3(b^2+c^2) + a^2(b^3+c^3) + b^3c^2 + b^2c^3

replace a with -(b+c) and using a^5+b^5+c^5 =0 you get

-(b+c)^3(b^2+c^2) + (b+c)^2(b^3+c^3) + b^3c^2 + b^2c^3 =

-(b+c)^3(b^2+c^2) + (b+c)^3(b^2+c^2-bc) + b^3c^2 + b^2c^3 =

-bc[(b+c)^3 - b^2c - bc^2] which happens to be 0 because of lemma 1

so (a^2+b^2+c^2)(a^3+b^3+c^3) =0 (mod p) and p | (a^2+b^2+c^2) or
p | (a^3+b^3+c^3)

Yeah, I was assuming the 2ab was a typo and there could probably be more. Which I ignored. But the OP was claiming 5*f(2)*f(3) was divisible by p, which is exactly what I got. So I didn't try detailed checking of the algebra. I was more worried about why the OP thought divisibility by 5 was something that ought to be checked.

Related to Divisibility problem with prime numbers

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. In other words, it has no other factors besides 1 and itself.

2. How do you determine if a number is prime or not?

To determine if a number is prime, you can use a process called trial division. This involves dividing the number by all smaller integers and checking if the remainder is 0. If the remainder is 0, then the number is not prime. If the remainder is not 0 for any of the divisions, then the number is prime.

3. What is the divisibility rule for prime numbers?

The divisibility rule for prime numbers is that any number that is not a multiple of the prime number cannot be divided evenly by that prime number.

4. Can a number be divisible by more than one prime number?

Yes, a number can be divisible by more than one prime number. For example, 12 is divisible by both 2 and 3, which are both prime numbers.

5. How can divisibility problems with prime numbers be useful in real life?

Divisibility problems with prime numbers are useful in many fields such as cryptography, computer science, and number theory. They are also used in everyday life, for example, in determining the most efficient way to divide a pizza into equal slices.