DIY Exoplanet Detector with a DSLR

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of using a camera lens without a telescope to detect exoplanet transits. The speaker mentions their own experience with a similar project and the limitations of using just a camera. They also mention an article that provides more information on the topic. Overall, the conversation highlights the speaker's interest in the project and the complexity of the task.
Great project to do!

DIY Exoplanet Detector with a DSLR

Likes Amine Quentin
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, he's right on the edge of the noise floor. I've done this exact project with a CCD camera and an 8 inch telescope and I can tell you that just using a camera lens without a telescope it's going to be very difficult to see any exoplanet transits. Even with my setup the quality of my data points was lower than I'd have liked. With just a camera you're simply not gathering enough light. (Not to mention how much gets rejected by the bayer array on the camera's sensor)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Likes Amine Quentin and Drakkith
great video:smile:
thank's :biggrin:

1. How does the DIY Exoplanet Detector with a DSLR work?

The DIY Exoplanet Detector with a DSLR works by using the principle of transit photometry, where the light from a star is measured over time to detect any changes in brightness that may be caused by an orbiting planet. The DSLR camera captures images of a specific star and the changes in brightness are analyzed to determine if there is a planet passing in front of it.

2. What materials are needed to build a DIY Exoplanet Detector with a DSLR?

To build a DIY Exoplanet Detector with a DSLR, you will need a DSLR camera, a telescope or telephoto lens, a tripod, a computer, and a software program for analyzing the data. You may also need additional accessories such as a cable release, filters, and a tracking mount for longer exposures.

3. Can any DSLR camera be used for this project?

Yes, any DSLR camera can be used for this project as long as it has the capability to take long exposures and can be connected to a computer for data analysis. However, cameras with larger sensors and higher resolution will produce better quality images and improve the chances of detecting an exoplanet.

4. How long does it take to detect an exoplanet using a DIY Exoplanet Detector with a DSLR?

The time it takes to detect an exoplanet using a DIY Exoplanet Detector with a DSLR can vary depending on factors such as the size of the planet, the distance from its star, and the sensitivity of the equipment used. In general, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months of observation to detect an exoplanet.

5. Can the DIY Exoplanet Detector with a DSLR be used by amateur astronomers?

Yes, the DIY Exoplanet Detector with a DSLR can be used by amateur astronomers as it does not require expensive or specialized equipment. However, it does require some knowledge and understanding of astronomy, photography, and data analysis. It is recommended that beginners work with experienced astronomers or join an astronomy club for guidance and support.