DIY Scooter Voltage Regulator and Rectifier Circuit Help - New User"

• Thread starter dutsidoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the individual is attempting to create a voltage regulator and rectifier for their scooter in order to charge the battery while driving. They have a 70VAC input from the stator and have created a bridge rectifier using diodes, as well as added a resistor and capacitor. However, when testing the circuit, there is not enough current to light a 12VDC light bulb. The individual is seeking help or a circuit drawing to improve the circuit and charge the battery successfully. They are also questioning if their alternator is suitable for the task.
dutsidoo
OK, New to this site. here is my task at hand.

I am trying to make a votage regulator and Rectifier for my scooter to charge the battery while driving it.

I have about 70 VAC coming from my stator (not really sure what the amp out is). I have made a bridge rectifier using (4) diodes. I put a 10K ohm resistor across the bridge as well as a 100 Volt 500 mf capacitor on the out side of the rectifier.

I then am using a 5 watt 13.6 Zener diode to drop it to 13.6 VDC. On the bench (plugging it into 120VAC) this works great and I get 13.6 volts DC out of the circuit. But not even enough juice to light a 12 VDC light bulb. I'm trying to charge my battery with this circuit, but have very little current.

What am I missing?? Any help or a circuit drawing would be much appreciated.

Thanks much

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you using the alternator that came with the scooter? I would expect that to put out 12VDC, just as in a car. The primary purpose is battery charging.

I suspect that the 70VAC you found is a specialized secondary winding for special purposes, and that there is another 12VDC output with enough amps to charge the battery. Look again.

1. How do I build a simple circuit?

To build a simple circuit, you will need a power source (such as a battery), wires, and a load (such as a light bulb or motor). Connect the positive end of the battery to one end of the load, and the negative end of the battery to the other end of the load. The remaining ends of the load should be connected to each other with a wire. This forms a complete circuit and allows current to flow, powering the load.

2. What is the purpose of a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a visual representation of a circuit that shows how the components are connected and the flow of current through the circuit. It helps to plan and design circuits, troubleshoot problems, and communicate ideas and designs with others.

3. How do I calculate the voltage in a simple circuit?

To calculate the voltage in a simple circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (V = IR), where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. Measure the current using an ammeter and the resistance using an ohmmeter. Then, plug in the values into the formula to calculate the voltage.

4. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, and the current flows through each component in sequence. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, and the current can flow through each branch independently. This means that a break in one component in a series circuit will stop the flow of current, while a break in one branch of a parallel circuit will not affect the other branches.

5. How can I troubleshoot problems with a simple circuit?

If your simple circuit is not working, start by checking all connections to make sure they are secure. Then, use a multimeter to check for any breaks in the circuit or incorrect readings for voltage or current. If necessary, replace any faulty components. Also, make sure you have the correct power source and that it is connected properly. If you are still having trouble, consult online resources or seek help from a knowledgeable individual.