Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Do atoms give off radiation that determines the colour?

1. Oct 12, 2016 #1
    Do atoms give off radiation that determines the colour? I want to understand this, please give me explanation.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is quite a bit written about hoe objects get their colour - have you tried a google search?
    This sort of question is commonly posed as a homework research assignment - but even if this is not the case, it is a good exercize for you to try finding out for yourself: you will learn more that way.

Generally - you see objects because light from the Sun (or other light source) gets scattered off the surface and some of that light ends up in your eyes.
    Not all colours of light are scattered equally, and some colours get absorbed, so they don't scatter at all.
    Not all colours are available in the light all the time either ... but when they are, it is called "white light".
    ... and some objects to emit their own light.

With that in mind - have another look through the internet and tell me what you find.

4. Oct 12, 2016 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

@LSMOG, please do some reading first and come back if you have more precise questions. Also, be careful to properly label the thread: you had indicated an Advanced thread, but this is definitely Basic.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook