Do electrons move closer to nucie?

• Thread starter bayan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary: When an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower energy level, the difference in potential energy causes a photon to be emitted. The higher the energy level, the closer the photon will have to be to the nucleus to be emitted.
bayan
i had a question about electrong moving to a higher level of energy.
When they do move to higher level energy do they get closer to nucie or do they move further from the nuclie (ie when forming a Photon.)

When sodium makes a yellow light would the wave length get smaller if an electron from a diffrent shell moves or does it get bigger?

i am doing year 11 physics and i asked this question to my teacher and he said that he wants me to find it out.
I know that he knew the answer but he wants me to find the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Potential energy in the field of a nucleus for an electron is negative. The closer an electron gets to the nucleus, the more negative its potential. This means that the electron is bound, that it can't leave the potential well without energy being applied to it (to raise it to at least 0).

So a higher shell has a less negative energy, which is why when an electron falls from a higher shell to a lower shell, the difference in potential energy is emitted in the form of a photon.

That being said, we can think about the wavelengths of photons that are emitted when electrons change energy level. The energy of a photon is related to its wavelength by the formula

[tex]E = h\nu[/tex]

So the greater difference in energy between the two states between which the electron is transferring, the greater the frequency ([itex]\nu[/itex]) and the less the wavelength ([itex]\lambda[/itex]), because

[tex]\lambda = \frac{c}{\nu}[/tex]

So you tell me, which will result in a photon with a higher frequency, an electron falling from the n=2 level to the n=1 level or an electron falling from the n=3 level to the n=1 level?

cookiemonster

Last edited:
would it be the electron from the 3rd shell transfering to 1st shell?

what i have understood from this is that doesn't matter if an electron moving from the 5th to 4th shell would have the same frequency and wavelength as an electron moving from 8th shell to 7th shell. Am i right or wrong.

i saw a picture of energy levels that referred if energy level is lower it is closer to nulie is that right or is it the higher the energy level the closer it gets?

1. What is the role of electrons in an atom?

Electrons are negatively charged particles that orbit the nucleus of an atom. They are responsible for the chemical and physical properties of elements and are involved in chemical reactions and bonding.

2. Do electrons move closer to the nucleus as the atomic number increases?

Yes, as the atomic number increases, the number of protons in the nucleus also increases. This leads to a stronger attractive force between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electrons, causing them to move closer to the nucleus.

3. Can electrons move closer to the nucleus in an excited state?

Yes, in an excited state, electrons can absorb energy and move to higher energy levels further away from the nucleus. However, they eventually return to their ground state and move closer to the nucleus.

4. How does the distance between the electrons and nucleus affect the stability of an atom?

The closer the electrons are to the nucleus, the more stable the atom is. This is because the attractive force between the two is stronger and helps to keep the electrons in orbit.

5. What happens when an atom has more or less electrons than protons?

If an atom has more electrons than protons, it becomes negatively charged. If it has less electrons than protons, it becomes positively charged. This imbalance of charges can affect the stability and reactivity of the atom.