Do Grad schools care about your topic of undergrad research

In summary, the conversation discusses whether graduate schools care about the specific topic of research a student did as an undergraduate and how to prepare for HEP theory in grad school. The main takeaway is that grad schools are more interested in a student's ability to handle research and make original contributions, rather than the specific field they worked in. It is also mentioned that it can be difficult to find research positions in HEP theory as an undergrad, but it is possible with hard work and determination. Independent study and reading courses are also recommended as ways to gain knowledge and network in the field.
LBloom
Hi everyone,

So my question is, do grad schools care about the topic of your research when you're an undergrad? I'm interested in high energy/particle theory but obviously I'm not doing research in that since I'm an undergrad. I did a semester's worth of work with the high energy exp group but I didn't get much out of that. Right now I'm part of an optics REU and I'll be working in an ultracold/BEC lab next semester. I find these subjects interesting and the experiences useful, but I doubt I'll be going into these subjects in grad school. I'm not sure if I want to go into HEP theory specifically, but I'm still leaning towards theory.

On a related note, how do you prepare for HEP theory for grad school? I'm a double major in math and physics and I'm trying to do independent study subjects in advanced topics but are there undergraduates who are doing research in theory? I'd imagine it would be difficult but I suppose you could always do computational work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Grad schools are interested in people that can handle the course load and that can come up with original contributions. If you did undergrad research and it went well (and your professor can write positively about you), then you've shown you can handle research. That's the only thing the grad schools care about. I don't think they care if it wasn't in any particular field.

To first order, no. What graduate admissions committees are interested in is a demonstrated capacity to make progress on a research project. As a student, you take advantage of the opportunities you have and most committee members are well aware that (a) students don't always have their choice of projects to get involved with, (b) have not decided on any particular path and need the opportunity to explore, or (c) may have realized after working in a particular field that it's not for them.

To second order, yes it can. Chances are your project mentor will be one of the people you ask for a reference letter. If that person happens to be well known in the field you're trying to get into, it's possible his or her recommendation could carry more weight.

The second point is far less important than the first. Doing a great job on a project you enjoy will go much further than a mediocre job on a project you don't. And doing something is better than doing nothing at all.

It is difficult to find a position doing HEP theory research as an undergrad but they do exist. I'm also a physics/math double major and was able to land a position doing string theory this summer. You may have to look very hard or in unusual places to do so, but there are several other undergrads here also working in HEP theory. For example, I only ended up here since I wanted to do noncommutative geometry (I don't really have much interest in string theory), and it just happened that this professor (who primarily works in noncommutative geometry) was thinking about a problem in string theory related to noncommutative geometry that I could understand.

EDIT: Independent study in advanced topics is a great idea. I've probably spent an average of an hour or two per day just studying whatever interests me for the past few years, and doing this alongside working very hard in classes I believe is the only reason I've ended up with enough knowledge to work in noncommutative geometry and string theory as an undergrad. Also try to see if you can do a reading course with a professor - I did a reading course on some specialized aspects of mathematical physics with a professor, which led to me working for that professor for a summer, which led to him referring me to the professor I'm working for now. So, you get to learn topics you are truly interested in and do some valuable networking.

Last edited:

I can tell you that grad schools do care about the topic of your undergraduate research. While it may not be the only factor considered in your application, it does play a significant role in showing your interests, skills, and potential for future research. It also demonstrates your ability to work independently and contribute to a larger scientific community.

In your case, even though you may not have conducted research in high energy/particle theory, your involvement with the high energy experiment group and REU in optics still shows your interest in theoretical physics. These experiences can also be valuable in developing skills that are transferable to HEP theory, such as data analysis and critical thinking.

To prepare for HEP theory in grad school, you can continue to take advanced courses in math and physics, as well as participate in independent study projects. While it may be challenging to find undergraduate research opportunities in theory, you can still gain valuable experience through computational work or by working closely with a professor in the field. It's also important to stay updated on current research and developments in HEP theory through reading journals and attending seminars or conferences.

Overall, while your research topic in undergrad may not define your entire graduate school experience, it is still an important aspect of your application and can demonstrate your potential for success in HEP theory or any other field of research. So continue to pursue your interests and gain experience in any way you can, as it will only strengthen your application and prepare you for a successful career in science.

Related to Do Grad schools care about your topic of undergrad research

1. Do graduate schools prefer applicants with research experience in a specific topic?

It is not necessary for graduate schools to prefer applicants with research experience in a specific topic. What matters more is the quality of your research and the skills you have gained from it. However, if your research aligns with the program you are applying to, it can strengthen your application.

2. Will my chances of getting into a graduate program be affected if my research topic is not related to the field I want to pursue?

Not necessarily. While having research experience in the same field as your desired graduate program can be beneficial, it is not a requirement. What matters more is the skills and knowledge you have gained from your research, which can be applicable to various fields.

3. Can I change my research topic in graduate school?

Yes, you can change your research topic in graduate school. In fact, it is common for graduate students to switch their research focus or even their entire field of study. Graduate programs are designed to allow students to explore and develop their interests, so it is not uncommon for students to change their research topic during their studies.

4. Will my undergraduate research topic affect my opportunities for graduate research funding?

Your undergraduate research topic may not directly affect your opportunities for graduate research funding. Scholarships and grants are often awarded based on the quality of your research proposal and your academic achievements. However, if your research topic aligns with the funding organization's goals and priorities, it can increase your chances of receiving funding.

5. Is it necessary to have research experience to be accepted into a graduate program?

It is not necessary to have research experience to be accepted into a graduate program, but it can be beneficial. Research experience shows that you have the necessary skills, such as critical thinking and data analysis, for graduate-level studies. However, if you do not have research experience, you can highlight other experiences or skills that make you a strong candidate for the program.