1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do I need a 360 servo or stepper motor?

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1
    Hey guys. Jarfi here,

I'm working on some gear, a system powered by a rotation that needs to move at least 360 degrees.

Requirements:

Fast rotations(used for stabilization)
    Fast response time
    needs to be able to hold a position like servos do
    needs to be not too big, under 5x5cm area and under <3,5cm height
    -okay with not too much precicion, it's not a 3d printer
    -okay with not too much torque, it's not a robotic arm

Servo; larger area and small height, Ideal for the situation. Holds position, fast rotation/response time
    but the only con was that a 360 degree servo is expensive and there aren't many out there, it's 90% 180°.

Stepper motor; ????

I just know that a stepper motor has continuous rotation, so that it's not limited to 180° like standard servos are. But is it good for the task? is it more or less expensive than a 360° servo? I've never worked with one so I'm a bit hazy on all this.

My thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I really know very little about stepper motors, but from what I've read I believe that such is the appropriate device for your purposes. Don't take my word for it, though.

4. Nov 3, 2014 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

I would have thought that a DC motor would have met the requirement.
    Do you really need digital step control or just a DC servo?

5. Nov 5, 2014 #4
    Off the top of my head from the info on your post that precision or torque aren't critical but holding is just use a 90 or 180 servo with a 4 or 2:1 speed increaser. (the opposite of a reducer) . Bear in mind you will lose torque proportionally to the change in speed plus some inefficiencies in the power transmission through the gears.

6. Nov 6, 2014 #5
    Ah yes, that is wise... I ended up doing something similar, just narrowed down the rotation required from around 250° to under 180° by modifying the gears

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook