Brushless gimbal motors vs servo?

In summary, the conversation discusses different types of motors and systems used for stabilization, including servo and stepper motors, 360° servos, and gimbal motors. The speaker expresses frustration with the lack of information available on these systems and suggests seeking advice from photography equipment experts.
Jarfi
anybody know anything about stabilization systems? I posted the question "Servo vs. Stepper motor for stabilization" before, and I eventually learned that stepper motor draw power while holding position, which servos do not, so I was fixated on servos for a while.

Then I started realizing how rare and expensive 360° servos were, 180 degree rotation is very limiting, then there's the gear backlash, and not so outstanding precision, you can literally see the steps the motor takes in it's quantized movement.

So recently I learned about gimbal motors. Does anybody know if they are used to stabilize say helicopters or anything similar?

I'm thinking because of their high precicion and fast response time they'd be perfect for making a really smooth and natural stabilization, but as far as I know they are only used for camera gimbals.

what are the any sort of motors or systems that are used specifically for robotic/aircraft stabilization? this seems to be really intangible wisdom to find out about. Infuriating even.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might be farther ahead by checking with photography equipment experts, since they're the ones who use those particular systems.

1. What is the difference between brushless gimbal motors and servo motors?

Brushless gimbal motors and servo motors are both types of electric motors used in camera gimbals. The main difference between them is their design and function. Brushless gimbal motors are designed specifically for gimbals and have a higher power-to-weight ratio, while servo motors are more versatile and can be used in a variety of applications. Additionally, brushless gimbal motors use electronic speed control (ESC) to rotate the motor, while servo motors use a feedback control system to adjust their position.

2. Which type of motor is better for camera stabilization?

Both brushless gimbal motors and servo motors can be effective for camera stabilization. However, brushless gimbal motors are often preferred due to their higher power and responsiveness. They are also more compact and lightweight, making them easier to integrate into a camera gimbal system. Servo motors may be a better choice for larger cameras or applications that require precise positioning, as they have more control and feedback options.

3. Are brushless gimbal motors more expensive than servo motors?

In general, brushless gimbal motors tend to be more expensive than servo motors. This is because they are designed specifically for camera gimbals and use specialized components. Servo motors, on the other hand, are more widely used and have a broader range of applications, making them more affordable. However, the cost difference may vary depending on the specific motor and manufacturer.

4. Can I use a servo motor instead of a brushless gimbal motor in my camera stabilizer?

It is not recommended to use a servo motor instead of a brushless gimbal motor in a camera stabilizer. While both types of motors can rotate and provide stability, they have different designs and control mechanisms. Servo motors may not be able to provide the same level of smooth and precise movement that brushless gimbal motors offer, which could affect the quality of your footage. It is best to use the type of motor that is specifically designed for camera stabilization.

5. How do I choose between a brushless gimbal motor and a servo motor for my camera gimbal?

Choosing between a brushless gimbal motor and a servo motor for your camera gimbal will depend on your specific needs and preferences. If you are looking for a compact and lightweight option with high power and responsiveness, a brushless gimbal motor may be the better choice. However, if you need more control over the positioning of your camera, a servo motor may be a better fit. It is also important to consider the compatibility of the motor with your camera and gimbal system, as well as your budget.