1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do magnets attract all metals, and is the speed of light in a water

1. May 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Do magnets attract all metals, and is the speed of light in a water constant?

2. Relevant equations
    None that I know of

3. The attempt at a solution
    I would assume that magnets attract almost all metals because they have an electron sea in them and they would be attracted to the magnet.

But what about the speed of light in water? My physics teacher said that the speed of light in water depends on the medium it comes from. But I read that its always a constant value (3 *10^8m/s / 1.33)

Is it true that the speed of light in water would be different if the light came from a vacuum, compared to if the light came from say a diamond?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. May 24, 2013 #3
    After reading those articles, it is my understanding that not all metals are attracted by magnets (like copper is repelled) and that the speed of light in water will always be constant, no matter what medium it comes from.

Can you confirm that this is correct?

5. May 24, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes to both.

6. May 24, 2013 #5
    Thank you for clearing up my confusion

7. May 24, 2013 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. May 24, 2013 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted