Do not know how to projectile velocity at given time.

In summary, it seems that the projectile velocity was found at 1.2 seconds after being fired and it had a velocity of 30m/s. The max height was also found to be 90.1m.
karateman1
*Do not know how to find projectile velocity at given time!*(Seems easy, please help)

1. Please help I wasn't taught this in class...

I have a diagram of a projectile being fired at 40 Degrees at 30m/s. The path of the projectile is an arc/semi-circle, showing it landed. I used a triangle to split the 30m/s into vertical and horizontal.

2. I also used V2=V1+AT to find hang time of 3.92 seconds and horizontal distance was found to be 90.1 m. How do I find velocity at the given time of 1.2 seconds? And max Height, thank you, I am a noob.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• SCAN0012.jpg
    SCAN0012.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone please give me a hint, at least, please, i think that i supplied enough info.

One little error you may want to look at is the way you used the formula to find the hangtime. You solved for time when the velocity (on the y-axis) was equal to zero. So that will give you the time it takes for the object to reach the point when it is no longer going upwards, and it is about to start falling. Try to think about just the vertical for a moment, when your starting y and final y are the same number (perferably zero for easier math) then the object has hit the ground.

You did a good job seperating x and y velocities. Now write down what you know. (starting point for both x and y, ending point for y, intial velocity for both x and y). Post whatever you get in a second.

Dougggggg said:
One little error you may want to look at is the way you used the formula to find the hangtime. You solved for time when the velocity (on the y-axis) was equal to zero. So that will give you the time it takes for the object to reach the point when it is no longer going upwards, and it is about to start falling. Try to think about just the vertical for a moment, when your starting y and final y are the same number (perferably zero for easier math) then the object has hit the ground.

You did a good job seperating x and y velocities. Now write down what you know. (starting point for both x and y, ending point for y, intial velocity for both x and y). Post whatever you get in a second.

Thank you so much for replying, though I don't quite understand my error, the velocity I entered was zero (for it being in the middle of the arc) no vertical velocity, I then found the time at halfway, then multiplied by 2 to get the full hang time. ?
thats what he showed us to do, calculate the time that it takes for the full motion to complete.

That will work, I haven't checked the math on your work, but finding the time to the middle of the arc would be a possible way to do it.

Now to go any further, take that list of formula's you have been given and split them all into x and y categories. Don't plug in numbers right away. Then based on what you want to know, you can then decide what values you want to put where.

Dougggggg said:
That will work, I haven't checked the math on your work, but finding the time to the middle of the arc would be a possible way to do it.

Now to go any further, take that list of formula's you have been given and split them all into x and y categories. Don't plug in numbers right away. Then based on what you want to know, you can then decide what values you want to put where.

I want to use the formula D=1/2(V2+V1)T because I don't know acceleration, to find the velocity at 1.2 s what do i do? How do i split this one, and how do i put it back together, man I am confused...

Thanks soo much, I have a lot of homework that i don't know how to finish... Could you please lead me through how you woul do it, and speak to me like i am stupid? thanks

Now let's think about projectile motion here for just a moment. There is one beautiful thing about it that makes our lives and the math we do a lot easier. The x and y velocities and acceleration can be completely seperated. Now if I throw something through the air (ignoring air resistance), after it leaves my hand, would it accelerate? Nothing else would be causing it to accelerate, gravity is acting down, not left and right. So actually, using the formulas with acceleration in them is easier, because you get to drop certain terms.

I hate to do this, but I am going to have to leave you man. There are many other helpers who can continue to help, plus I will check this in the morning. It is nearly 4 AM here and I wake up to go to the airport at 5:30 and I still haven't packed.

Dougggggg said:
Now let's think about projectile motion here for just a moment. There is one beautiful thing about it that makes our lives and the math we do a lot easier. The x and y velocities and acceleration can be completely seperated. Now if I throw something through the air (ignoring air resistance), after it leaves my hand, would it accelerate? Nothing else would be causing it to accelerate, gravity is acting down, not left and right. So actually, using the formulas with acceleration in them is easier, because you get to drop certain terms.

I hate to do this, but I am going to have to leave you man. There are many other helpers who can continue to help, plus I will check this in the morning. It is nearly 4 AM here and I wake up to go to the airport at 5:30 and I still haven't packed.

What an amazing dude, I had no idea there were dedicated, helpful people out there like you, i don't even care about the question anymore...WOW 4am... THANKS

karateman1 said:
I want to use the formula D=1/2(V2+V1)T because I don't know acceleration, to find the velocity at 1.2 s what do i do? How do i split this one, and how do i put it back together, man I am confused...

But you DO know the acceleration!

Think about it...
What is the acceleration in the vertical direction?
What is the acceleration in the horizontal direction?

This is an outdated question. It would be simple to separate velocity and then work on vertical velocity at 1.2s. Then you can add the components back together to get the velocity.

1. How do I calculate projectile velocity at a given time?

To calculate projectile velocity at a given time, you will need to know the initial velocity, acceleration, and time. You can use the formula Vf = Vi + at, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. Plug in the known values and solve for Vf to find the projectile velocity at the given time.

2. What units should I use for projectile velocity?

The units for projectile velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s). However, you should always use the units that are consistent with the rest of your problem and calculations. For example, if you are using meters for distance and seconds for time, then the unit for projectile velocity should also be meters per second.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile velocity?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the velocity of a projectile. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts against the motion of the projectile, slowing it down. The amount of air resistance depends on the shape and size of the projectile, as well as the density of the air and the projectile's velocity.

4. Can I calculate projectile velocity without knowing the initial velocity?

No, the initial velocity is a crucial component in calculating projectile velocity at a given time. Without the initial velocity, you will not have enough information to solve for the final velocity. If you do not know the initial velocity, you may be able to calculate it using other known variables, such as the angle of launch and the distance traveled.

5. How can I measure the accuracy of my calculated projectile velocity?

The accuracy of your calculated projectile velocity can be measured by comparing it to the actual velocity of the projectile. This can be done using experimental data or by using other methods, such as video analysis. Additionally, you can check for any errors in your calculations or assumptions that may have affected the accuracy of your result.