Do physics grad admissions care about the general GRE?

In summary, the PGRE is often considered a crucial factor in graduate admissions for physics programs. However, many departments do not place much weight on the general GRE and may even explicitly state that they do not consider it in their evaluation process. This is because the general GRE is seen as a bureaucratic requirement and does not necessarily reflect an applicant's qualifications. While a low quantitative score may raise concerns, the general GRE is not a significant factor in differentiating between applicants. Overall, the focus is on grades and letters of recommendation rather than the general GRE score.
DukeofDuke
I know that the PGRE is a big deal, in that a poor one can easily disqualify you, but what about the regular GRE's? Should I spend much time studying for them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Every department I applied to didn't give a rip about the physics GRE. Some departments even go so far as to say on their website that they don't even look at your general GRE. You have to take it for your school's graduate college to stay happy, and you probably should take it slightly seriously. But it can't do you any serious harm (or help).

i don't understand this reasoning. all things being a position will go the graduate applicant with the higher gre score. the point is not that general gre says anything about your qualifications but that it's another easily parsable metric that allows graduate committees to differentiate between applicants.

ice109 said:
i don't understand this reasoning. all things being (equal?) a position will go the graduate applicant with the higher gre score. the point is not that general gre says anything about your qualifications but that it's another easily parsable metric that allows graduate committees to differentiate between applicants.

I suppose the general GRE could be used as another free parameter, all other things being equal. Then again, how often do you see any applications that are identical in every other way? And it's certainly conceivable that a very low quantitative score might make a committee raise an eyebrow, but physicists have to work hard to screw up the math section. As I said, some committees explicitly state that they won't even look at the general GRE.

I think the reasoning is that the general GRE exists purely for bureaucratic reasons. The graduate college at the institution you're applying to probably requires a score, and so they make you take it. If this isn't the case, then I have no idea why they'd even bother.

DukeofDuke said:
I know that the PGRE is a big deal, in that a poor one can easily disqualify you, but what about the regular GRE's? Should I spend much time studying for them?

On the plus side, you really don't need to study for them provided you have can do high school algebra and have a decent vocabulary. The test really is rather trivial.

I think the test could be used to keep someone out but wouldn't guarantee acceptance over another qualified candidate. I don't think admissions committees care if you scored a 700 on the math section and the next guy scored a 780. More important are your grades and letters of recommendation.

1. Do physics grad admissions care about the general GRE?

Yes, most physics graduate programs require applicants to submit their scores from the general GRE exam. However, the weight placed on these scores varies among programs. Some may consider it as one factor among many, while others may place more emphasis on it.

2. How important are general GRE scores for physics grad admissions?

It depends on the specific program and its admissions criteria. Generally, a high score on the general GRE can strengthen an applicant's overall profile, but it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and statement of purpose also play a significant role.

3. Can I still get into a physics grad program if I have a low general GRE score?

Yes, it is possible to get into a physics grad program with a low general GRE score. As mentioned before, admissions committees consider multiple factors when evaluating applicants. A strong research background, excellent letters of recommendation, and a well-written statement of purpose can make up for a lower GRE score.

4. What is a good general GRE score for physics grad admissions?

There is no set score that is considered "good" for physics grad admissions. Each program has its own standards and may also consider the average GRE scores of their current students. It is best to research the average GRE scores of the programs you are interested in and aim to score at or above that average.

5. Can I retake the general GRE if I am not satisfied with my initial score?

Yes, you can retake the general GRE if you are not satisfied with your initial score. However, keep in mind that some programs may only consider your highest score, while others may take an average of your scores. It is essential to research the policies of the programs you are applying to before retaking the exam.