Maggiore Book misunderstanding

• Thread starter kroni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a generator T and a unitary matrix V to find another basis for the representation of a structure equation. However, the effectiveness of this method is questioned and it is suggested that the author of the book may have made a mistake in distinguishing different vector spaces. The importance of Lie algebras and Lie groups in quantum theory is also emphasized.
kroni
20160222_202843.gif

Well, Look at the image.
If T is a generator so VTV* (with V unitary) is another basis of the representation too, i am totally agree because it satisfy the structure equation. Now, he say that we can find V that set Gij = tr(TiTj) diagonal BUT when i try, i have :
Gij = Tr(VTiV*VTjV*)
= Tr(VTiTjV*) because V is unitary
= Tr(TiTj) because Tr(AB) = Tr(BA)
So V as no effect and it can't diagonize it. I don't understand why it don't work ?

Thanks for all

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are right. Indeed, the Killing form (Cartan metric) can be expressed in terms of structure constants, which clearly don't depend on V.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_form
https://www.encyclopediaofmath.org/index.php/Killing_form

To diagonalize ##G_{ij}## (for the case it is not already diagonal), the diagonalization matrix should act in the vector space in which ##G_{ij}## are components of a tensor, i.e. the diagonalization matrix should itself have the ##ij## components. It seems that the author of the book failed to distinguish different vector spaces, which is a mistake similar to that in
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/do-we-really-mean-hermitian-conjugate-here.858987/

Last edited:
To conclude, i send an email to Maggiore himself, he said that the matrix V act directly on Gij, that seems logic but the sentence in the book is confusing because he speak of VTiV* implying that V act on the générators.

Thanks for the answer.

Likes dextercioby
kroni said:
To conclude, i send an email to Maggiore himself, he said that the matrix V act directly on Gij, that seems logic but the sentence in the book is confusing because he speak of VTiV* implying that V act on the générators.

Thanks for the answer.
At the very least, I think he would need to rewrite this (small and inessential) part of the book.

I'd say that's one of the most essential parts of any book on QT, because Lie algebras are at the heart of all QT :-).

vanhees71 said:
I'd say that's one of the most essential parts of any book on QT, because Lie algebras are at the heart of all QT :-).
Then why books on non-relativistic QM (which is also a part of quantum theory) rarely mention Lie algebras? :wink:
I'm sure every branch of theoretical physics can be expressed in terms of Lie algebras, but I think they are really essential only in Yang-Mills gauge theories.

That speaks against the books. Already angular-momentum algebra is a (non-)abelian Lie algebra. Also, how do you motivate the commutation relations of the observables if not via the Lie algebra of the Galilei group? I think, you can not overstate the importance of Lie algebras and Lie groups in QT!

Likes Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
Also, how do you motivate the commutation relations of the observables if not via the Lie algebra of the Galilei group?
Ask Heisenberg! :wink:

vanhees71 said:
I think, you can not overstate the importance of Lie algebras and Lie groups in QT!
I certainly can't, but you can. :biggrin:

1. What is the "Maggiore Book misunderstanding"?

The "Maggiore Book misunderstanding" refers to a controversial scientific study published in 2007 by Italian physicist Roberto Maggiore. The study claimed to have found evidence for a new, undiscovered type of particle, but was later found to be flawed and retracted by the journal it was published in.

2. What was the impact of the "Maggiore Book misunderstanding" on the scientific community?

The "Maggiore Book misunderstanding" had a significant impact on the scientific community as it raised questions about the peer-review process and the importance of rigorous testing and replicability in scientific studies. It also highlighted the need for scientists to carefully consider and address potential biases in their research.

3. How was the "Maggiore Book misunderstanding" discovered to be flawed?

The flaws in the "Maggiore Book misunderstanding" were discovered through independent attempts to replicate the results. Other scientists were unable to reproduce the findings, and upon closer examination, it was revealed that there were errors in the experimental design and data analysis.

4. Has the "Maggiore Book misunderstanding" been completely debunked?

Yes, the "Maggiore Book misunderstanding" has been completely debunked. The paper was retracted by the journal and subsequent studies have not been able to reproduce the results. The scientific community has also thoroughly scrutinized the study and it is no longer considered a valid or reliable source of information.

5. What can we learn from the "Maggiore Book misunderstanding"?

The "Maggiore Book misunderstanding" serves as a cautionary tale for scientists to be diligent in their research methods and to carefully consider potential biases. It also highlights the importance of peer review and the need for replication studies to validate scientific findings. Additionally, it emphasizes the responsibility of scientists to communicate their results accurately and to acknowledge and correct any errors that may arise.