Do you feel stuck in your research field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the feeling of being stuck in a chosen field and the regret of not choosing something else while studying. One person mentions that this feeling can also be present in the industry. Another person expresses their regret that one lifetime is not enough to learn everything they find interesting, and hopes for immortality or reincarnation. They also mention successfully changing their career through self-study and luck, but still wish they had chosen something different in university.
jamalkoiyess
Does any researcher/scholar/professor here ever feel stuck with the field they have chosen to pursue? Do you ever feel it's too late to switch or regret not choosing something else while studying?

Physics news on Phys.org
YES.

The situation like that can be just as bad in industry.

Likes jamalkoiyess and wukunlin
No, not really, but I do regret that one life time is not enough to learn everything I find interesting, even when just considering mathematics, let alone everything else. So, I hope for immortality (without dementia) or reincarnation (into a reasonably intelligent life form).

• Informative
Likes jamalkoiyess, Astronuc and BvU
I couldn't find a job I enjoy with what I graduated, so I self studied and made a successful career change with some luck. I do wish I chose something different in University but there was no way to know.

Likes jamalkoiyess

1. What is the common cause of feeling stuck in a research field?

The most common cause of feeling stuck in a research field is a lack of progress or breakthroughs in your research. This can be due to various reasons such as a lack of resources, limited access to relevant literature, or difficulty in finding a suitable research question.

2. How can I overcome feeling stuck in my research field?

One way to overcome feeling stuck in your research field is to seek advice and feedback from colleagues or mentors. They may offer new perspectives or suggest different approaches that can help you move forward in your research. Additionally, taking a break from your research and engaging in other activities can also help refresh your mind and inspire new ideas.

3. Is it normal to feel stuck in a research field?

Yes, it is normal to feel stuck in a research field. Research is a complex and challenging process, and it is common for researchers to experience periods of feeling stuck or stagnant. It is important to remember that these moments are a normal part of the research process and can often lead to significant breakthroughs.

4. Can changing research fields help with feeling stuck?

Changing research fields can be a potential solution for feeling stuck, but it is not always necessary. It is essential to evaluate the reasons for feeling stuck and assess if changing research fields is the best course of action. Sometimes, simply collaborating with researchers from other fields or incorporating new techniques can help overcome feeling stuck.

5. How can I maintain motivation and enthusiasm for my research when feeling stuck?

Maintaining motivation and enthusiasm for your research can be challenging when feeling stuck. One way to overcome this is to focus on the bigger picture and the potential impact of your research. Additionally, setting small achievable goals and celebrating small successes can also keep you motivated. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of your passion and interest in your research topic and the valuable skills and knowledge you have gained through your research.