Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you have to be a Genius to

1. Nov 28, 2008 #1
    Do you have to be a "Genius"to...

get an admission in Harvard University? It seems to me that only exceptional people get in there...What's your view?

By the way, do we have members attending Harvard?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Do you have to be a "Genius"to...

Depends on how you define genius.

4. Nov 28, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I wouldn't say genius, but you have to be very motivated and very strong academically, then it's also who you, or rather your parents know in some cases. There are exceptions. My last boyfriend graduated from Yale and got his PhD from Harvard. He both came from a very rich old money family and was very motivated and very intelligent. The father of a friend graduated from Havard and got his PhD from Cambridge, again very rich, old money family.

I believe we have Harvard grads here.

5. Nov 28, 2008 #4

It seems as though a significant data point, for our standards of "genius" or even "very motivated and very strong academically", is that George W. Bush received a graduate degree from Harvard.

6. Nov 28, 2008 #5

Can you elaborate more on this: "...but you have to be very motivated and very strong academically" (Evo)?

7. Nov 28, 2008 #6

Evo

You can easily find out what the posted criteria for admission to Harvard is. My ex-husband was pre-med at Yale and graduated from Dartmouth. As an alumni, it was understood that our children would get preferential consideration to be accepted. If there was someone similarly eligible, my kids would be the ones to get in. That's just the way it is. My ex didn't get into Yale because he qualified academically, his dad pulled some strings. If your parent knows the right people and/or is a large contributor, your kid can most likely get in, even if their grades are marginal. That's just a sad fact of life. That doesn't guarantee they will make it. My ex graduated near the bottom of his class. But on his resume, no one looks at how he did, just where he got his degree.

8. Nov 28, 2008 #7

I worked with a lot of people from MIT, arguably even better than Harvard in terms of physics. Were they geniuses? Nope. Normal people like me, except maybe more hardworking. ;)

They talked like normal people, worked like normal people, and they made mistakes like normal people.

If you work hard, do some good research, get good GRE scores, and have a whole lotta luck, you can get in.

Why luck? Because it's not really up to you if you end up in a group that will publish a paper with your help. I worked for a year for my professor and I never got anything published. Just how it goes. My friend on the other hand worked less than that and already has his name on a paper. Also, how well you do on your GRE's depends on how well others do on theirs. So there's more luck right there.

9. Nov 28, 2008 #8

Evo

Yeah, I have a friend that graduated from MIT.

Don't forget they also have a female "quota" and a very limited number of slots to fill.

10. Nov 28, 2008 #9

this is silly. a genius is clearly someone who is mentally superior to the vast majority of other people. you can measure this with intelligence tests.

you don't need to be a genius, but you do need to be very intelligent. they are very selective and only let very bright students in.

of course if you are wealthy, they can easily make accomodations for you. having connections with the faculty can also work wonders. usually people who are connected and are wealthy usually are intelligent as well though, or are broomed that way with privledged education.

this and the fact that harvard is so famous that it attracts the best students, yeah, its safe to say the average harvard student is a lot smarter than most other schools. but this does not mean other schools lack talent entirely, they just have less of it. a real genius is extremely rare, and i dont think there are enough of them to fill the ranks of any school.

and Bush was president TWICE. sounds like a genius to me.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  11. Nov 28, 2008 #10

A lot of the prestige behind these schools is the name though so don't let it turn you off from other options...

12. Nov 28, 2008 #11

Yeah, the name is a lot of the reason, but you can safely say that MIT will have physics and engineering classes where the expectations are high, and if you graduate, you know your stuff. Whereas if you examine Podunk University in Alabama, there's no telling. You'd have to actually do an in-depth study of the department, and nobody wants to deal with that.

13. Nov 28, 2008 #12

ideally yes, but in the real world the name really counts for something. the good companies will only go to the good schools, and the lesser known schools will generally get paid less.

exactly, its just like brand names. and brand names have better quality control. though you may miss out on non-brand goods.

14. Nov 29, 2008 #13

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

15. Nov 29, 2008 #14

So, what would you recommend to a 10th grader to increase his chances? I've been recommended by my teachers to join the IB program next year...though this won't really mean a lot to them.

I'm not dying to get into Harvard, I mean universities like MIT,Yale,Cambridge etc would be as good as Harvard :).

16. Nov 29, 2008 #15

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Work hard.

17. Nov 29, 2008 #16

Elaborate, please :P.

18. Nov 29, 2008 #17

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No secret. Work hard at your studies and you can go anywhere you want.

19. Nov 29, 2008 #18

Like keep your GPA as high as possible as well as doing extra curricular activities...Its pretty simple, in theory.

20. Nov 29, 2008 #19
  21. Nov 29, 2008 #20

Why can't we come to the realization that being a leader/the president has nothing to do with being intelligent. Leadership /=/ intelligence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?