Do you see a problem with the wording of this chemistry question?

• Thread starter smulc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation is discussing the question of whether the wording in a chemistry problem is confusing and how to interpret the phrase "account for" in the context of the question. The relevant bit of the conversation explains that in [Mn(DMSO)6](ClO4)3, the coordination to manganese is via oxygen and the complex is six-coordinate with two longer bonds. The question then asks to account for the geometry of the complex using an energy-level diagram. The person speaking is questioning the logic of using information about the complex's geometry to create a diagram to account for the same geometry. After discussing with their tutor, they realize they may be overcomplicating the question and that they should simply consider the complex's geometry
smulc
I don't need help with the actual question, I just wanted to know if anyone else thinks there's an issue with this question of it it's just me. I've spoke to my tutor and he's confirmed what I need to do so I'm fine on that front, but I was curious if I'm just interpreting the wording incorrectly. So this is the relevant bit...

In [Mn(DMSO)6](ClO4)3, coordination to manganese is via oxygen. The complex is six-coordinate, with two bonds that are opposite each other being longer than the other four.

(a) With reference to a suitably labelled crystal field energy-level diagram, account for the geometry of the complex.

So based on the question giving me information about the geometry of the complex, I can draw an energy level diagram. But the question has already told me the geometry of the complex. I just can't see how it makes sense to use my diagram that I constructed based on information I've been given about the geometry of the complex to account for the geometry of the complex. Does that make sense? Is the question fine and I'm just over complicating it?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would interpret it as "consider the geometry of the complex in order to create the diagram" (because it will influence this diagram?).

Likes smulc
Okay thanks. I think I'm just interpreting "account for" in the wrong way.

1. What specific part of the wording do you think is problematic?

The use of vague or ambiguous terms can make it difficult to understand the intended meaning of a question. It is important to provide clear and precise language in order to accurately address the topic at hand.

2. Can you give an example of a question with problematic wording?

For example, a question that uses the term "substance" without specifying which substance is being referred to can be confusing and may result in different interpretations from different individuals.

3. How can problematic wording affect the results of a study?

If a question is not clearly worded, it may lead to inaccurate responses from participants and ultimately affect the validity of the study's results. It can also make it difficult to replicate the study or compare the results to other studies.

4. What steps can be taken to improve the wording of a question?

To improve the wording of a question, it is important to carefully consider the specific language used and make sure it is clear, specific, and unambiguous. It may also be helpful to have others review the question and provide feedback.

5. Why is it important for scientists to pay attention to the wording of their questions?

The wording of a question can greatly influence the outcome of a study and the interpretation of its results. As scientists, it is important to ensure that our questions are accurately and precisely worded in order to obtain reliable and valid data.