Docking with ISS: Questions on Orbital Mechanics

• Thread starter LydiaJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iss
In summary, the video is discussing a space rendezvous, and the end part of the process where they slow down the capsule and steer it to its destination. They say that if they slow down the capsule, it will drop into a lower orbit and the ISS would fly past it.
LydiaJ
I was watching the following video, and I have a question about something they said that seemed kind of vague (I know I could have asked in the video comments section, but this forum tends to supply much better answers, so I hope it's OK that I am asking about a YouTube video here):

If you don't want to watch the video I'll here's the part I don't get: They say that when a capsule docks with the ISS they fly the capsule into the same orbit as the ISS, but in front of it (that is, moving at the same velocity, and in the same direction the ISS is orbiting). Once the capsule is lined up with the ISS in the same orbit, they slow down to let the ISS catch up with them, and then they steer the capsule to where it needs to go right at the end.

My question is, wouldn't slowing down the capsule cause it to drop into a lower orbit (in which case the ISS would just fly past them)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I couldn't get that vid to play due to the poor internet bandwidth that I have thanks to BT/Openreach.

The short answer is yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_rendezvous

The first attempt failed because this wasn't understood...

.. the Gemini 4 attempts at rendezvous were unsuccessful largely because NASA engineers had yet to learn the orbital mechanics involved in the process. Simply pointing the active vehicle's nose at the target and thrusting was unsuccessful. If the target is ahead in the orbit and the tracking vehicle increases speed, its altitude also increases, actually moving it away from the target. The higher altitude then increases orbital period due to Kepler's third law, putting the tracker not only above, but also behind the target. The proper technique requires changing the tracking vehicle's orbit to allow the rendezvous target to either catch up or be caught up with, and then at the correct moment changing to the same orbit as the target with no relative motion between the vehicles (for example, putting the tracker into a lower orbit, which has a shorter orbital period allowing it to catch up, then executing a Hohmann transfer back to the original orbital height).[6]

Likes LydiaJ
Still can't get it to play but...

LydiaJ said:
My question is, wouldn't slowing down the capsule cause it to drop into a lower orbit (in which case the ISS would just fly past them)

Actually if you slow down and drop into a lower orbit you go faster (orbit the Earth faster), so if you are already ahead of the ISS the gap would actually increase.

See "methods of approach"...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_rendezvous#Methods_of_approach

To keep the chaser on the V-vector, other thrusters are fired in the radial direction

Last edited:
Likes LydiaJ
LydiaJ said:
Once the capsule is lined up with the ISS in the same orbit, they slow down to let the ISS catch up with them, and then they steer the capsule to where it needs to go right at the end.

My question is, wouldn't slowing down the capsule cause it to drop into a lower orbit (in which case the ISS would just fly past them)?
The final closing in manoeuvres, once you're in the same orbit and reasonably close to the target, are no longer Hohmann transfer manoeuvres. You can use your engines to stay put in the same orbit and move around - for example, if you want to get closer to the ISS that's trailing behind you, you thrust towards it a bit, and make sure to correct for any subsequent tendency to drop in orbit. I.e., you use your engines to 'hover' in an orbit that you don't have the correct velocity to stay in unaided (in free fall).

If you're interested in orbital mechanics, and have a few hours to waste, head to: http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/ it's a freeware, highly accurate simulation of spaceship flight. The tutorial mission (refer to the manual) takes you to the ISS where you do exactly those kinds of things as described in the video.

Likes LydiaJ
Bandersnatch said:
you use your engines to 'hover' in an orbit that you don't have the correct velocity to stay in unaided (in free fall).

Oh, I see, so they aren't exactly just floating there waiting for the ISS to catch up. They are actually keeping themselves lined up by using their own power.

Thanks for a help.

CWatters said:
The first attempt failed because this wasn't understood...

Thanks for the answer.

It's kind of crazy that no one thought to study this issue more closely before they went and actually tried to do it in real life. I guess that's easy to say in hindsight though.

LydiaJ said:
It's kind of crazy that no one thought to study this issue more closely before they went and actually tried to do it in real life. I guess that's easy to say in hindsight though.

Maybe the engineers missed that class in their general physics course.

1. How do you calculate the trajectory for docking with the ISS?

The trajectory for docking with the ISS is calculated using orbital mechanics, which takes into account the orbital parameters of both the spacecraft and the ISS, such as their speed, position, and direction. This calculation is done using complex mathematical equations and computer simulations to ensure precise and safe docking.

2. What is the role of orbital mechanics in docking with the ISS?

Orbital mechanics plays a crucial role in docking with the ISS as it helps in determining the correct trajectory, speed, and timing for the spacecraft to reach and dock with the ISS. It also takes into account the gravitational pull of the Earth and other celestial bodies to ensure accurate navigation.

3. How does the ISS maintain its orbital position during docking?

The ISS maintains its orbital position using thrusters and gyroscopes, which help in adjusting its speed and direction. During docking, the ISS's thrusters are used to align its orbit with the incoming spacecraft and maintain a stable position for the docking process.

4. What are the challenges of docking with the ISS?

Docking with the ISS can be challenging due to the high speeds and precise calculations required for a successful docking. Any slight miscalculations or errors can lead to a failed docking attempt, which can be costly and dangerous. Additionally, the ISS is constantly moving in its orbit, making it difficult to align with the incoming spacecraft.

5. How is the docking process controlled and monitored?

The docking process is controlled and monitored by a team of experienced engineers and astronauts on the ground and on the spacecraft. They use a combination of computer systems, sensors, and visual monitoring to ensure the spacecraft is on the correct trajectory and position for docking. Any adjustments or corrections needed during the process are communicated to the spacecraft in real-time.