Sign Documents Electronically - No Printing Needed!

• Thread starter mathman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for digitally signing and returning documents received through email. Some suggestions include using a graphics tablet or a font that resembles one's handwriting, and exploring the options within Adobe Acrobat Reader DC for filling out form-formatted PDFs. The conversation also mentions the limitations of using an older computer and the need for a newer device for easier document signing.
mathman
Science Advisor
At times I receive a document through e-mail which requires my signature and return. What I do now is print out the document, sign it, scan the signed copy back into the computer, and return via e-mail.

Is there a program which would allow me to sign the document directly on the computer (without printing) and return it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
mathman said:
At times I receive a document through e-mail which requires my signature and return. What I do now is print out the document, sign it, scan the signed copy back into the computer, and return via e-mail.

Is there a program which would allow me to sign the document directly on the computer (without printing) and return it?
Something like this, connected to your computer via USB? http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/hand-writing-touch-pad-holding-pen-against-computer-38936492.jpg

What format are the documents you are receiving? Word, PDF?

I do this all the time. Adobe PDF let's you write on the document and so does the newest version of Word.

EDIT: Shoot, Stevie beat me to it :redface:

Maybe you could upload a picture of your signature and paste it into the document?

Borg said:
Maybe you could upload a picture of your signature and paste it into the document?
That is usually what I do, as well.

But if you are getting PDF's and don't have Adobe Acrobat (compared to Adobe Reader), would you be able to edit the PDF to enable pasting a pic of your signature in the appropriate area?

Borg said:
StevieTNZ said:
That is usually what I do, as well.
That seems really impractical. But perhaps I'm different.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
That seems really impractical. But perhaps I'm different.
I only do it because the device I have isn't compatible with my current laptop. Need to get a newer one!

But of course I'm not doing this on official documents. I rarely get forms emailed to me that need filing out and a signature.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
StevieTNZ said:
I only do it because the device I have isn't compatible with my current laptop. Need to get a newer one!
What "device" do you speak of? :) I've got a graphics tablet that I use all the time. It makes writing on the computer as easy as writing on paper, too. Do you mean something like that?

Thanks for the replies, but I am somewhat limited. My computer is an old-fashioned PC so I don't have any stylus or anything like that. The only freely moving instrument I have is the mouse - cursor. Documents are often PDF and I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

As long as you have a way for plugging a USB type A plug into your PC, it shouldn’t matter how old your computer is . . . . and graphic tablets run quite cheap. Since you wouldn’t be using it for rigorous digital design/art, you could find one for as low as $40 to $50.

Another idea: Download a font that looks similar to your handwriting and just type your name in that font (?)

mathman said:
Documents are often PDF and I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

Are the PDF's form formatted, where Adobe Reader allows you to insert text (or tick a box) at various input points?

StevieTNZ said:
Are the PDF's form formatted, where Adobe Reader allows you to insert text (or tick a box) at various input points?
I don't know. What do I look for?

mathman said:
I don't know. What do I look for?
Ah, I see. You're only after requiring the PDF to be signed, and the rest intact. Never mind.

1. How does electronic signature work?

An electronic signature, or e-signature, is a digital version of a handwritten signature that is used to sign documents electronically. It uses a mathematical algorithm to create a unique code that is attached to the document, ensuring its authenticity and integrity.

2. Is electronic signature legally binding?

Yes, electronic signatures are legally binding in most countries, including the United States, as long as they meet certain requirements such as consent from all parties involved and the ability to verify the authenticity of the signature.

3. How do I sign a document electronically?

To sign a document electronically, you can use a variety of methods such as a digital signature platform, an e-signature software, or even your own email. Simply follow the instructions provided by the platform or software to upload your document, create your signature, and apply it to the document.

4. Are there any security concerns with electronic signatures?

While electronic signatures are generally considered secure, it is important to use a reputable platform or software that has encryption and authentication measures in place. It is also important to follow best practices such as keeping your login credentials safe and not sharing them with others.

5. Can I use electronic signature for any type of document?

Electronic signatures can be used for most types of documents, including contracts, agreements, forms, and other legal documents. However, there may be some exceptions, such as wills, trusts, and other documents that require notarization or witnesses.