Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Document signature

1. May 29, 2016 #1

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At times I receive a document through e-mail which requires my signature and return. What I do now is print out the document, sign it, scan the signed copy back into the computer, and return via e-mail.

Is there a program which would allow me to sign the document directly on the computer (without printing) and return it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2016 #2
    Something like this, connected to your computer via USB? http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/hand-writing-touch-pad-holding-pen-against-computer-38936492.jpg

What format are the documents you are receiving? Word, PDF?

4. May 29, 2016 #3

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I do this all the time. Adobe PDF let's you write on the document and so does the newest version of Word.

EDIT: Shoot, Stevie beat me to it :redface:

5. May 29, 2016 #4

Borg

Gold Member

Maybe you could upload a picture of your signature and paste it into the document?

6. May 29, 2016 #5
    That is usually what I do, as well.

But if you are getting PDF's and don't have Adobe Acrobat (compared to Adobe Reader), would you be able to edit the PDF to enable pasting a pic of your signature in the appropriate area?

7. May 29, 2016 #6

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That seems really impractical. But perhaps I'm different.

8. May 29, 2016 #7
    I only do it because the device I have isn't compatible with my current laptop. Need to get a newer one!!

But of course I'm not doing this on official documents. I rarely get forms emailed to me that need filing out and a signature.

9. May 29, 2016 #8

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What "device" do you speak of? :) I've got a graphics tablet that I use all the time. It makes writing on the computer as easy as writing on paper, too. Do you mean something like that?

10. May 29, 2016 #9
  11. May 30, 2016 #10

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the replies, but I am somewhat limited. My computer is an old-fashioned PC so I don't have any stylus or anything like that. The only freely moving instrument I have is the mouse - cursor. Documents are often PDF and I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

12. May 30, 2016 #11

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

As long as you have a way for plugging a USB type A plug into your PC, it shouldn’t matter how old your computer is . . . . and graphic tablets run quite cheap. Since you wouldn’t be using it for rigorous digital design/art, you could find one for as low as $40 to $50.

Another idea: Download a font that looks similar to your handwriting and just type your name in that font (?)

13. May 31, 2016 #12
    Are the PDF's form formatted, where Adobe Reader allows you to insert text (or tick a box) at various input points?

14. May 31, 2016 #13

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know. What do I look for?

15. May 31, 2016 #14
    Ah, I see. You're only after requiring the PDF to be signed, and the rest intact. Never mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted