Documentary on the International Math Olympiad

In summary, the conversation discussed a BBC documentary on the International Mathematical Olympiad and a list of favorite math-related movies, including Gifted, Good Will Hunting, Beautiful Mind, The Man Who Knew Infinity, and Proof. The participants also shared their thoughts on various other movies, such as Rain Man, Phenomenon, and Numb3rs. The conversation highlighted the struggles and isolation that often come with being a gifted individual and the importance of understanding and support from loved ones.
TL;DR Summary
BBC documentary on the IMO following several students around as they compete for spots on the team.

and the associated movie staring Asa Butterfield as Nathan Ellis (Daniel Lightwing in the documentary)

You can find the movie on Amazon Prime Video as a Prime movie.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pinball1970, pbuk and mcastillo356
Mathematics news on Phys.org
While we're on the topic of math movies, here's my list of favorites:
- Gifted - 7 yr old girl has the gift from her mother and her uncle tries to raise as a normal child
- Good Will Hunting - rebellious teen with the gift gets discovered and must decide his path in life
- Beautiful Mind - John Nash, a brilliant student with the gift suffers from mental illness
- The Man Who Knew Infinity - life of Ramanujan
- Proof - family mystery behind a math proof accredited to father by daughter

of these I like Gifted the most. Its a beautifully told story.

The sadness of brilliance is to be misunderstood and to live of the edge of sanity.

Likes pinball1970
jedishrfu said:
Summary:: BBC documentary on the IMO following several students around as they compete for spots on the team.

and the associated movie staring Asa Butterfield as Nathan Ellis (Daniel Lightwing in the documentary)

You can find the movie on Amazon Prime Video as a Prime movie.

Quite sad to watch, even if they are not diagnosed with Asperges syndrome some of them to suffer from isolation and bullying.

Daniel could not face going up to received his well-earned Silver medal.

One of the most difficult parts was watching Jos describing the role of his parents in his life.

jedishrfu said:
- Gifted - 7 yr old girl has the gift from her mother and her uncle tries to raise as a normal child
- Good Will Hunting - rebellious teen with the gift gets discovered and must decide his path in life
- Beautiful Mind - John Nash, a brilliant student with the gift suffers from mental illness

The sadness of brilliance is to be misunderstood and to live of the edge of sanity.
I can reply to the movies I have seen and discussed.

'Good Will' enjoys an excellent script and acting by Matt Damon and friends. Hollywood loves extremes. Matt's character is not only smart, his brilliance baffles Field medal winners. Love interest Minnie Driver is not only pretty and smart but must move to Palo Alto to attend Stanford U, far away from Boston. Will satisfies every child's revenge fantasy by attacking grade school bullies without warning. As an 'adult'.

The emphasis on childhood abuse and poverty adds realism to an already outstanding plot.

'Beautiful Mind' novel and film are both interesting though the movie far outpaces the novel IMO. The formulae scribbled on glass aptly portray a geometrically inclined mind forced to inscribe deep thoughts via insufficient ephemeral symbols. Ed Harris performs brilliantly as the possibly imaginary secret agent provocateur.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
jedishrfu said:

“The man who knew infinity” I have not seen. One to watch for me.

“Little man Tate” Is about a child prodigy, not based on a real story from memory.

There is also “Rain man” of course which is based on a real character.

One of my favourites though is “Phenomenon” with John Travolta, where a normal guy has an experience that causes exceptional changes to his mind.

Robert Duval is brilliant and Brent Spinor also makes an appearance, worth a watch if you have not seen it.

“Infinity” was a bit disappointing, all the stuff they could have covered but they decided to make a love story instead.

I really liked Gifted. The story really resonated with me on so many levels.

A TV series I liked was Numb3rs. Every episode introduced some new math although many times it was tacked on and was a stretch to believe.

In one episode called Prime Suspect, a brilliiant grad student Niel Patrick Harris cracked the Reimann Hypothesis. His daughter was kidnapped while he was so preoccupied with his work and he was forced to use it to get her back. However, the main character Charlie Epps finds the flaw in the proof meaning it would never work.

jedishrfu said:
I really liked Gifted. The story really resonated with me on so many levels.
Seen it once. I can't remember how it ends, I'll have to watch again.

1. What is the International Math Olympiad?

The International Math Olympiad (IMO) is an annual mathematics competition for high school students from around the world. It was first held in 1959 and has since become the most prestigious and difficult math competition for students at the high school level.

2. How are students selected to participate in the IMO?

Each participating country has its own selection process for choosing students to represent them at the IMO. Generally, students are chosen based on their performance in national math competitions or through a rigorous selection test.

3. What types of problems are included in the IMO?

The problems in the IMO are challenging and require creative problem-solving skills. They cover a wide range of mathematical topics including algebra, geometry, number theory, and combinatorics. The problems are designed to test students' mathematical knowledge, critical thinking, and ability to work under pressure.

4. How is the IMO scored?

The IMO is scored out of a maximum of 42 points, with each problem worth 7 points. The scoring system is designed to reward students for both correct answers and creative approaches to problem-solving. Partial credit may also be given for partially correct solutions.

5. What are the benefits of participating in the IMO?

Participating in the IMO can provide students with the opportunity to challenge themselves and showcase their mathematical abilities on an international stage. It can also open doors for further academic and career opportunities, as well as foster a sense of camaraderie and cultural exchange among participants from different countries.