Does accelerating electrons give a higher voltage

In summary: Drift_speedIn summary, voltage is the measure of how fast one coulomb of charge is passing a point, and increasing the number of electrons passing a point will also increase voltage. The concept of electron volts may be mentioned in relation to the acceleration of electrons through an electric potential difference. It is important to understand the difference between voltage and current when studying electricity.
microfracture
the way I am understanding how voltage works is how fast one coulomb is passing a point. so if i push more electrons passed a point, it actually gives it a higher voltage?
that and, if i have a screen with a positive potential across it and an electron stream flowing towards it, would the stream accelerate up to the voltage?
ps, I am pretty sure the term electron volts is going to be said, I am too tired to think and just regurgitated hours of trying to understand this.
goodnite

Physics news on Phys.org
the way I am understanding how voltage works is how fast one coulomb is passing a point. so if i push more electrons passed a point, it actually gives it a higher voltage?

Seems like you may have voltage and current mixed up...it's difficult to tell from your phrasing. That's common when starting out studying electricity.

One way to think about it is via the old analogy: think of water molecules as "electrons" flowing and water pressure as voltage. A coulomb is analogous to a quantity of water (molecules)...say a quart or a liter (and a coulomb is q =it). So if you have more water (molecules) passing a point, you have more CURRENT (molecules) flowing. That can be accomplished by increasing the size of the pipe, like decreasing resistance, for example, or by increasing the pressure (voltage).

To push more electrons past a point, given a fixed circuit resistance, yes you'd have to increase voltage...that's the only way to get more current flowing.

It's typically convenient to think of voltage as causing the motion of electrons in a circuit...typically they won't move much by themselves except locally as in their local electron cloud. Some voltage (energy) needs to be applied to break them losse from their local attraction to a positively charged nucleus.

An electron volt is the amount of kinetic energy gained by an electron when it accelerates through an electric potential difference of one volt. So given enough time and distance, an electron might reach the full KE available from the local voltage potential...or it might strike the positive grid potential before it reaches that energy level.

Last edited:

1. How does accelerating electrons affect voltage?

Accelerating electrons can increase the voltage by increasing the energy of the electrons. When an electron is accelerated, it gains kinetic energy, which can then be converted into electrical potential energy, resulting in a higher voltage.

2. Is there a direct relationship between accelerating electrons and voltage?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between accelerating electrons and voltage. As the electrons gain more kinetic energy, the voltage also increases. This relationship is described by the equation V = Kq, where V is the voltage, K is a constant, and q is the charge of the electron.

3. Can accelerating electrons produce a voltage without a power source?

No, accelerating electrons alone cannot produce a voltage without a power source. The electrons must be accelerated by an external force, such as an electric field or a magnetic field, which requires a power source.

4. How does the voltage change when the speed of the accelerated electrons changes?

The voltage increases as the speed of the accelerated electrons increases. This is because the kinetic energy of the electrons is directly proportional to their speed, and as mentioned earlier, the voltage is directly related to the kinetic energy of the electrons.

5. Is there a limit to how high the voltage can be increased by accelerating electrons?

Yes, there is a limit to how high the voltage can be increased by accelerating electrons. This limit is determined by the energy source used to accelerate the electrons and the distance over which the acceleration occurs. Additionally, there may be physical limitations in the materials used to create the electric or magnetic fields that accelerate the electrons.