Transitivity of Ideals in Rings: Exploring Exceptions and Guarantees

• Thread starter esisk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an ideal I not being an ideal of a ring R, even if it is an ideal of another ideal J, and when this transitivity may occur. Examples and conditions for transitivity are provided, as well as a discussion on the definition of ideals and rngs.
esisk
Hi All,
If I is an ideal of J and J is an ideal of R (the ring)... Is it possible that I is not an ideal of R. When are we guaranteed to have this transitivity, if at all? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still trying to work out the details, but would this be an example?

Let Z be the ring of integers, then 2Z is an ideal of Z and 4Z is an ideal of 2Z. But 4Z is also an ideal of Z. I would guess that is you have the situation you described, then I would always be an ideal of R.

Let R be a ring and let J be an ideal of R. We must first ensure that J is a ring in order for it to have any ideals. So as long as its closed under subtraction and multiplication, its a ring, which we can confirm. Next let I be an ideal of J. Then all elements in I must be in R, since I is an ideal of J and J is one of R. So, as long as we can take any element in R, multiply by an element in I and still stay in I, then I would say that I is an ideal of R. Give that a try and see what happens.

esisk said:
Hi All,
If I is an ideal of J and J is an ideal of R (the ring)... Is it possible that I is not an ideal of R. When are we guaranteed to have this transitivity, if at all? Thank you

In general this is not true: Consider [tex]I= \langle x^2 \rangle = \{ fx^2 : f\in J= \langle x \rangle \}[/tex] with both [tex]I[/tex] and [tex]J[/tex] considered as subsets of [tex]R= \mathbb{R} [x][/tex]. By definition [tex]I[/tex] ideal of [tex]J[/tex] and [tex]J[/tex] ideal of [tex]R[/tex], but [tex]I[/tex] is not an ideal of [tex]R[/tex] since [tex]ax^2 \notin I[/tex] for all [tex]a\neq 0,1[/tex] such that [tex]a\in \mathbb{R}[/tex] . As for conditions that guarantee transitivity I can't think of any but that [tex]J=R[/tex].

Well, in all honesty, it's a bit silly to talk about "an ideal of an ideal" since we define (particularly in commutative algebra) ideals to be subsets of rings and proper ideals are not rings (ie. they are not subrings).

Some authors use the word "ring" to refer to rngs, so ideals of ideals makes sense (because any ideal of a rng is a rng).

In what I've read I've never seen that usage -- although most authors will make an explicit statement they are not adopting that convention.

I'm going to assume the opening poster is talking about rngs.

Jose, there is an error in your example: because J doesn't have a unit, the ideal of J generated by x2 is not equal to x2J.

Hurkyl said:
Jose, there is an error in your example: because J doesn't have a unit, the ideal of J generated by x2 is not equal to x2J.

You're right, but couldn't we "close" it under addition and then it still won't have any, for example, irrational miltiples of [tex]x^2[/tex]?

I believe that is true.

1. Does an example exist: What does it mean?

When someone asks if an example exists, they are typically asking if there is a specific instance or demonstration of something. This could refer to a specific object, concept, or situation.

2. Does an example exist: Why is it important to have examples?

Examples are important because they provide tangible evidence and help clarify complex ideas. They can also serve as a reference point for understanding and applying concepts.

3. Does an example exist: How do I find examples?

Examples can be found through various sources such as textbooks, research articles, online resources, and personal experiences. It is important to critically evaluate the reliability and relevance of the examples you find.

4. Does an example exist: Can an example be used to prove something?

An example can support a claim or argument, but it cannot definitively prove something. It is important to consider the context and limitations of an example when using it to support a statement.

5. Does an example exist: Are examples always necessary?

Examples are not always necessary, but they can be helpful in understanding complex ideas or providing evidence for a claim. It ultimately depends on the context and purpose of the discussion or research.