Maximal Ideals and the Correspondence Theorem for Rings .... Rotman Proposition 5.9

In summary: Therefore, $B$ consists of two elements: $B=\{ \phi (I), \phi (R) \}$. We have $\phi (I) = (0)$ and $\phi (R) = R/I$. Thus $B=\{ (0), R/I \}$.$B$ is the set of ideals in $R/I$, so $R/I$ has no other ideals than $(0)$ and $R/I$.Conversely, $R/I$ has no other ideals than $(0)$ and $R/I$, i.e., $B=\{ (0), R/I \}
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Joseph J. Rotman's book: Advanced Modern Algebra (AMA) and I am currently focused on Section 5.1 Prime Ideals and Maximal Ideals ...

I need some help with understanding the proof of Proposition 5.9 ... ...Proposition 5.9 reads as follows:
View attachment 5934 In the proof of Proposition 5.9, Rotman writes:

" ... ... The Correspondence Theorem for Rings shows that \(\displaystyle I\) is a maximal ideal if and only if \(\displaystyle R/I\) has no ideals other than \(\displaystyle (0)\) and \(\displaystyle R/I\) itself ... ... "

My question is: how exactly (in clear and simple terms) does Rotman's statement of the Correspondence Theorem for Rings lead to the statement that "\(\displaystyle I\) is a maximal ideal if and only if \(\displaystyle R/I\) has no ideals other than \(\displaystyle (0)\) and \(\displaystyle R/I\) itself" ... ...

Hope that someone can help ...

Peter

============================================================

The above post refers to Rotman's statement of the Correspondence Theorem for Rings, so I am providing a statement of that theorem and its proof, as follows:View attachment 5936

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Joseph J. Rotman's book: Advanced Modern Algebra (AMA) and I am currently focused on Section 5.1 Prime Ideals and Maximal Ideals ...

I need some help with understanding the proof of Proposition 5.9 ... ...Proposition 5.9 reads as follows:
In the proof of Proposition 5.9, Rotman writes:

" ... ... The Correspondence Theorem for Rings shows that \(\displaystyle I\) is a maximal ideal if and only if \(\displaystyle R/I\) has no ideals other than \(\displaystyle (0)\) and \(\displaystyle R/I\) itself ... ... "

My question is: how exactly (in clear and simple terms) does Rotman's statement of the Correspondence Theorem for Rings lead to the statement that "\(\displaystyle I\) is a maximal ideal if and only if \(\displaystyle R/I\) has no ideals other than \(\displaystyle (0)\) and \(\displaystyle R/I\) itself" ... ...

Hope that someone can help ...

Peter

============================================================

The above post refers to Rotman's statement of the Correspondence Theorem for Rings, so I am providing a statement of that theorem and its proof, as follows:
Maybe I should not be responding to my own post but I have been reflecting on the question in the above post and now suspect that the answer is quite simple and goes along the lines ... ... as follows:

\(\displaystyle I\) maximal

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow\) there are no ideals in \(\displaystyle R\) that contain \(\displaystyle I \) except \(\displaystyle R\) itself ...

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow\) there are no ideals in \(\displaystyle R/I\) (except \(\displaystyle R/I\) itself) since there exists a bijection between the set of ideals of \(\displaystyle R/I\) and the ideals of \(\displaystyle R\) containing \(\displaystyle I\) ... ...

BUT ... it seems that the only ideal in \(\displaystyle R/I\) is \(\displaystyle R/I\) itself ... but how do we explain the existence of \(\displaystyle (0)\) ...?

Seems that I still need some help ... ...

Peter

Given $I\lhd R$ (notation: $I$ is ideal in $R$), $I$ is proper, i.e., $I\neq (0)$ and $I\neq R$.
If $J\lhd R$, define $\overline J = \{a+I \mid a\in J \}$, you can prove that $\overline J = J/I$.

Define $A= \{ J\lhd R \mid I\subset J \}$ and $B=\{ K \lhd R/I \}$.

The Correspondence Theorem says that there is a bijection $\phi : A\to B$ given by $J\mapsto \overline J=J/I$.

What does this say?
a) If we have an ideal $K\lhd R/I$ then there exists an ideal $J\lhd R$ with $I\subset J$ and $J/I=K$

b) If we have an ideal $J\lhd R$ such that $I\subset J$ then $J/I \lhd R/I$

Let $I\lhd R$ be maximal, then $I$ is proper and there are no ideals between $I$ and $R$.
This means that $A$ consists of two elements: $A= \{ I, R \}$.
Therefore, $B$ consists of two elements: $B=\{ \phi (I), \phi (R) \}$.
We have $\phi (I) = (0)$ and $\phi (R) = R/I$. Thus $B=\{ (0), R/I \}$.
$B$ is the set of ideals in $R/I$, so $R/I$ has no other ideals than $(0)$ and $R/I$.

Conversely, $R/I$ has no other ideals than $(0)$ and $R/I$, i.e., $B=\{ (0), R/I \}$.
Then $A= \{ \phi ^{-1} ((0)), \phi ^{-1} (R/I) \} = \{ I, R \}$

Can you fill in the the details and apply example 5.8, now? I am going to have a break. If necessary, we continue later.

steenis said:
Given $I\lhd R$ (notation: $I$ is ideal in $R$), $I$ is proper, i.e., $I\neq (0)$ and $I\neq R$.
If $J\lhd R$, define $\overline J = \{a+I \mid a\in J \}$, you can prove that $\overline J = J/I$.

Define $A= \{ J\lhd R \mid I\subset J \}$ and $B=\{ K \lhd R/I \}$.

The Correspondence Theorem says that there is a bijection $\phi : A\to B$ given by $J\mapsto \overline J=J/I$.

What does this say?
a) If we have an ideal $K\lhd R/I$ then there exists an ideal $J\lhd R$ with $I\subset J$ and $J/I=K$

b) If we have an ideal $J\lhd R$ such that $I\subset J$ then $J/I \lhd R/I$

Let $I\lhd R$ be maximal, then $I$ is proper and there are no ideals between $I$ and $R$.
This means that $A$ consists of two elements: $A= \{ I, R \}$.
Therefore, $B$ consists of two elements: $B=\{ \phi (I), \phi (R) \}$.
We have $\phi (I) = (0)$ and $\phi (R) = R/I$. Thus $B=\{ (0), R/I \}$.
$B$ is the set of ideals in $R/I$, so $R/I$ has no other ideals than $(0)$ and $R/I$.

Conversely, $R/I$ has no other ideals than $(0)$ and $R/I$, i.e., $B=\{ (0), R/I \}$.
Then $A= \{ \phi ^{-1} ((0)), \phi ^{-1} (R/I) \} = \{ I, R \}$

Can you fill in the the details and apply example 5.8, now? I am going to have a break. If necessary, we continue later.
Thanks for for your assistance, Steenis ... most helpful ...

Reflecting on what you have said ...

Thanks again,

Peter

1. What is the definition of a maximal ideal in a ring?

A maximal ideal in a ring is a proper, non-zero ideal that is not contained in any other proper, non-zero ideal. This means that there are no other ideals in the ring that properly contain the maximal ideal.

2. How does the Correspondence Theorem for rings relate to maximal ideals?

The Correspondence Theorem states that there is a bijective correspondence between the set of all ideals in a ring and the set of all ideals in the quotient ring. This means that for every ideal in the original ring, there is a unique ideal in the quotient ring that corresponds to it. This also means that maximal ideals in the original ring correspond to maximal ideals in the quotient ring.

3. Can a ring have more than one maximal ideal?

Yes, a ring can have multiple maximal ideals. In fact, if a ring has at least two maximal ideals, then it is not a field.

4. How is Proposition 5.9 used in the context of maximal ideals and the Correspondence Theorem?

Proposition 5.9 states that if I is an ideal in a ring R, then the quotient ring R/I is a field if and only if I is a maximal ideal. This proposition is useful in proving that certain ideals are maximal, and therefore correspond to fields in the quotient ring.

5. Are maximal ideals unique in a ring?

No, maximal ideals are not necessarily unique in a ring. In fact, in some rings there may not be any maximal ideals at all. However, if a ring has at least one maximal ideal, then it will have infinitely many maximal ideals.