Does an impeller need a driveshaft?

• Thread starter theycallmevirgo
  • Start date
In summary, the current offerings for watercraft impellers do not meet the design goals for a design you are working on. Other factors you want to improve upon include power transfer, water speed range, duct characteristics, etc. Design constraints include but are not limited to target dimensions, power transfer, water speed range, duct characteristics, etc.
theycallmevirgo
TL;DR Summary
Is there any reason for an impeller driveshaft other than stability?
I have good basic FEA books, but all the stuff online is focused on chemical mixing.

Thanks so much

Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, I just wanted to get a basic idea of what's going on. At this point I can't even select from available options on the market, and I strongly suspect that my application is going to be 50% the size of anything I can buy.

ETA: but I found a book already. I'll be posting another question shortly.

I'll move your thread to the ME forum for better replies. Did you look through the hits in my link?

Also, please post your design constraints. We won't be able to help you unless you post your target dimensions, power transfer, water speed range, duct characteristics, etc. Thanks.

Likes theycallmevirgo
Here's a picture of an impeller from J S Carlton (Marine Propellers and Propulsion 2nd edition 2007)

1589504988903.png

If I understand correctly, the driveshaft is there for the gas motor. If I had an electric motor, could I just use coils around the impeller? Or, alternately, can I drive an electric with gas?

Thanks

Joe

theycallmevirgo said:
I'll be posting another question shortly.
Multiple threads merged...

Likes theycallmevirgo
berkeman said:
Multiple threads merged...

Thanks for the help. I don't know half the terms you're listing as design constraints, which is why I need to do some reading. All I know for now is that I strongly suspect overall diameter is going to be 50% of anything on the market right now.

OK, very cool. This is now a project worth pursuing.

theycallmevirgo said:
If I had an electric motor, could I just use coils around the impeller?
Yes, there are several marine propulsion designs that do basically that. You may need a much bigger diameter of that duct. Here's one that uses permanent magnets. I'm not sure what their top RPM is. I just searched "marine magnetic propulsion".

1589506005077.png

• Informative
Likes berkeman and theycallmevirgo
Yeah I looked at the first link, if their efficiency is as they claim it is very promising. Thanks for the help folks!

Am I missing something, btw, wrt turbines? If they can be used for hydroelectric generation why not propulsion?

theycallmevirgo said:
Am I missing something, btw, wrt turbines? If they can be used for hydroelectric generation why not propulsion?
Turbines being spun by what? Your example of hydroelectric implies you think a water turbine could work here...

russ_watters said:
Turbines being spun by what? Your example of hydroelectric implies you think a water turbine could work here...

Yes, that's correct, driven by emagnets.

anorlunda said:
recently, diesel-electric has the competitive advantage.
Why do you think that is?

Also, just to make clear, I meant specifically turbine driven by em forces pushing water, not gas turbines pushing a prop (which I've seen numerous examples of).

theycallmevirgo said:
Yes, that's correct, driven by emagnets.
"Driven" by magnets? Hang on, just to make sure we have our definitions right:

Impeller: spins and pushes water.
Turbine: is spun by water.

Turbines do not get driven by magnets.

russ_watters said:
"Driven" by magnets? Hang on, just to make sure we have our definitions right:

Impeller: spins and pushes water.
Turbine: is spun by water.

Turbines do not get driven by magnets.
OK, let me rephrase, because I'm guessing I'm using the wrong terms. You have a hydro power turbine, which is rotated by water to make electric power. Why can't a (nearly) identical system use electrical power to move water for propulsion?

theycallmevirgo said:
OK, let me rephrase, because I'm guessing I'm using the wrong terms. You have a hydro power turbine, which is rotated by water to make electric power. Why can't a (nearly) identical system use electrical power to move water for propulsion?
You can - the other guys have given several examples. I guess I'm not seeing what is unsatisfactory in what you've been given.

russ_watters said:
You can - the other guys have given several examples. I guess I'm not seeing what is unsatisfactory in what you've been given.

Well, from my (super-cursory) overview the mechanisms used for generation are much more involved (and much closer to air propulsion turbines) than what was shown. But it's entirely possible I'm mistaken.

theycallmevirgo said:
Turbines are internally much like a waterwheel, whereas an impeller generally resembles a fan.

By stretching definitions just a little bit, sidewheel and sternwheel boats could be called sideturbine and sternturbine driven. (Sidewheel aka paddlewheel)

Cheers,
Tom

theycallmevirgo said:
That's what your impeller is. An electric motor turns the shaft and the impeller is a water turbine. That's where you started in this thread.

EM fields directly moving water is called magnetohydrodynamics. It has been researched for decades, but few applications exist. It was even the theme of a Hollywood movie named "Hunt for Red October"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetohydrodynamics

1. Does an impeller need a driveshaft?

Yes, an impeller typically requires a driveshaft in order to function properly. The driveshaft is responsible for transferring power from the motor to the impeller, allowing it to rotate and create the necessary force to move fluid.

2. What is the purpose of a driveshaft in an impeller?

The main purpose of a driveshaft in an impeller is to transfer power from the motor to the impeller. This allows the impeller to rotate and create the necessary force to move fluid, such as in a pump or turbine.

3. Can an impeller function without a driveshaft?

No, an impeller cannot function without a driveshaft. Without a driveshaft, there is no way for the impeller to receive power and rotate, rendering it unable to move fluid.

4. What are the different types of driveshafts used in impellers?

There are several types of driveshafts that can be used in impellers, including solid shafts, flexible shafts, and hollow shafts. The type of driveshaft used will depend on the specific application and design of the impeller.

5. How do you maintain a driveshaft in an impeller?

To maintain a driveshaft in an impeller, it is important to regularly check for any signs of wear or damage. The driveshaft should also be lubricated regularly to ensure smooth operation. If any issues are detected, the driveshaft should be repaired or replaced as needed.