Does Biot-Savart law apply at high frequencies?

In summary, the Biot-Savart law does not include a time delay, and calculating magnetic fields due to time harmonic currents can be difficult.
apchar
The Biot-Savart law for calculating magnetic fields due to a current is presented in my freshman physics book as a general way of getting B from I. But there's no time delay implied by the integral. Can I just manually throw the time delay into the integral? For instance, to numerically calculate the magnetic field at some point due to a time harmonic current in, say, an antenna, can I just:
1. Break the antenna up into known discrete current elements,
2. Calculate the delay between each element and the point of interest,
3. Use Biot-Savart to find B due to each element, and multiply each term by it's associated phase shift (exp(-i*w*delay)).
4. Add em up.
It may not be computationally efficient but it would be simple. But would it give the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Part of the Biot-Savart derivation sets all the time derivatives in Maxwell's equations to zero (current is and always has been circulating in the loop), so I'm not sure how one would be able to use that result when there is time variation.

You could perhaps calculate the vector potentials with the retarded time current integrals and then take the curl. That's probably very messy so maybe there's a better way?

Pure magnetic fields to not radiate, nor do pure electric fields. In a half-wave antenna, the input impedance is about 72 ohms, and the current is maximum in the center, and the voltage is maximum at the ends. You first should study both transmission line theory and antenna theory and design. Signal velocities in transmission lines vary from about 0.66 c to 0.98c. When you have an open-end on a transmission line, using a sinusoidal excitation, you get a standing wave similar to the voltage and current distribution on an antenna, except without the radiation reaction. The output radiated output signal is electromagnetic radiation, with both the electric E and magnetic H fields perpendicular to the direction. The ratio of E/H = 377 ohms, the impedance of free space.

apchar said:
The Biot-Savart law for calculating magnetic fields due to a current is presented in my freshman physics book as a general way of getting B from I.

The Biot-Savart law applies only in magnetostatics, i.e. when B and I do not vary with time. If you read your book carefully, you'll probably find a statement to this effect somewhere. (It may be easy to overlook, depending on how well the book is written.)

If the current varies "slowly" we can often use a "magnetostatic approximation" in which we ignore effects caused by changing B fields inducing changing E fields which in turn induce more changing B fields etc. At a high enough frequency (how high depends on the situation) this approximation breaks down.

If you want to calculate the radiation from a time harmonic field on a wire, then you are better off looking at an antenna textbook for rough approximations and full wave solvers for complex antennas and more accurate results. A method of moment's book like Harrington's or Walton Gibson would be good but Balanis' books would also have the material.

1. What is the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between an electric current and the magnetic field it produces. It states that the magnetic field at a point in space is directly proportional to the current, the length of the current, and the sine of the angle between the current and the point in space.

2. Does the Biot-Savart law apply at high frequencies?

Yes, the Biot-Savart law applies at all frequencies, including high frequencies. This is because the law is based on fundamental principles of electromagnetism and does not depend on the frequency of the current.

3. How does the Biot-Savart law apply to high frequency circuits?

In high frequency circuits, the Biot-Savart law can be used to calculate the magnetic field produced by moving charges and currents. This is important in understanding the behavior of components such as inductors and transformers, which rely on the magnetic field created by high frequency currents.

4. Are there any limitations to the Biot-Savart law at high frequencies?

While the Biot-Savart law is generally valid at high frequencies, there are a few limitations to keep in mind. The law assumes that the current is constant and does not take into account any changes in the current over time. Additionally, it does not account for any effects of non-uniform current distribution or the presence of other electromagnetic fields.

5. What other laws and principles are related to the Biot-Savart law at high frequencies?

The Biot-Savart law is closely related to other laws and principles in electromagnetism, including Ampere's law, Faraday's law, and Lenz's law. In high frequency circuits, it is also important to consider the effects of capacitance and inductance, as well as the concept of reactance.