Does Enterprise see the shuttle approach?

• Thread starter NikkiNik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
In summary, the conversation discusses the relative speeds of two spaceships, Enterprise and a shuttle, approaching Deep Space Nine from opposite directions. The formula V2 = (v1-v2)/(1+v1v2/c^2) is used to calculate the relative speed between the two ships, with v1 representing the speed of the shuttle and v2 representing the speed of Enterprise. The final answer should be a speed greater than both 0.6c and 0.4c, but less than the speed of light (c). The conversation also clarifies the use of positive and negative signs in the formula and the concept of relative speed.
NikkiNik

Homework Statement

Deep Space Nine sees Enterprise and a shuttle approach from exactly opposite directions with 0.6 c and 0.4 c, respectively. At what fraction of the speed of light (b) does Enterprise see the shuttle approach?

Homework Equations

V2=(v1+ v1,2)/[1 +(v1*v1,2/c^2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used -0.6c as v2 and 0.4c as v1 but when I solved it in the end I had 1c= 1v1,2 so I know I did something wrong I just don'e know what

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

The way you've written the formula, you should be using v1,2 = -0.6c and solving for V2. Although I think a better way to write it is
[tex]u = \frac{v_1 - v_2}{1 + \frac{v_1 v_2}{c^2}}[/tex]

Last edited:

Thanx!

Oh wait, I made a sign error - see my edit. It should be a minus sign on top. (Because, think about it: if both Enterprise and the shuttle were approaching DS9 at the same speed, .5c, you definitely should not be getting 0 for the relative velocity.)

Ok I solved it the way you said and I got 2.63e-1c but that's not right. I even got the same answer when I solved it my way?

Oh ok

Sorry one more question...if I add the velocities at the top then it would be 1/7.6e-1 and the answer would be 1.32c which I don't think is right. And if I solved it the first way, the answer being 0.263c (positive or negative) is incorrect...what am I doing incorrect?? Sorry I keep replying so quickly

I think you're plugging in some number incorrectly. When I plug in, I get a relative velocity that's higher than both 0.6c and 0.4c, but that is still less than c.

Think of the expression in the numerator--the v1 - v2 term--as being the classical relative velocity. Classically, the relative speed would be 1c (0.6c + 0.4c), right? Is that what you used?

yes I did (.4c)-(-.6c) =1c

then I didvided by (1 +(-.24c^2/c^2)=0.76

I divided the first answer by the second and got 1.316c ?

Why are you using -0.6c and +.4c in the denominator? That would be inconsisent with the numerator, where you're allowing the two speeds to have the same algebraic sign...

Ok I see but why would both of the signs be negative and not only one?? Is it because they are going in opposite directions

NikkiNik said:
Ok I see but why would both of the signs be negative and not only one?? Is it because they are going in opposite directions

Don't think too hard about the signs. Just think about the "relative" speed between the two spaceships. According to either the Enterprise or the Space Shuttle, the other is approaching at 1c classically.

The term in the numerator just gives us the classical relative speeds. Since they are approaching each other, the perceived speed is going to be a speed larger than what the Enterprise perceives for either of them. If you have a negative sign for either of them, the effect will be decreasing the relative speeds, instead of increasing them.

Related to Does Enterprise see the shuttle approach?

1. What is Enterprise and how does it relate to the shuttle approach?

Enterprise is a space shuttle prototype that was built for testing purposes and never flew to space. It was used to test the approach and landing capabilities of the space shuttle program.

2. Can Enterprise see the shuttle approach from its location?

Yes, Enterprise is located at the Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia, which is near the approach path of the shuttles landing at Dulles International Airport. It is possible for Enterprise to see the shuttle approach if it is positioned in the right direction.

3. Does Enterprise have any instruments or equipment to detect the shuttle's approach?

No, Enterprise was not equipped with any instruments or equipment for detecting the shuttle's approach. Its purpose was for testing the approach and landing capabilities, not for observing other shuttles.

4. How far away is Enterprise from the shuttle approach path?

The distance between Enterprise and the shuttle approach path varies depending on the specific approach and landing trajectory chosen by NASA. However, the Udvar-Hazy Center is located about 7-8 miles from Dulles International Airport, which is where the shuttles would land.

5. Are there any other factors that could affect Enterprise's view of the shuttle approach?

Yes, weather conditions and the positioning of Enterprise may affect its view of the shuttle approach. If it is a cloudy day or if Enterprise is not positioned towards the approach path, it may not have a clear view of the shuttle's approach.