Does Higgs Field incorporate with String Theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential connection between the hypothetical Higgs field in the Higgs Mechanism and the String Theory in explaining the masses of particles. The conversation also mentions the need for a basic understanding of mathematics to fully comprehend the topic.
Cygni
Hello Physics Forum members,

I have got a question that really got into my head and i don't seem to get the answers. I tried to look for some extra information over the internet and couple of books but nothing.

So my question is whether the hypothetical Higgs field incorporates with the String Theory, i.e. in the Higgs Mechanism the masses for the particles are given due to the field's resistance, whereas in the string theory, the masses of the elementary particles are due to the energy carried by a string (if i am not mistaken this has to do with E. Einsteins mass - energy equivalence)

P.S. i would really appreciate if You could answer my question in simple terms and/or examples, because i am just a kid :redface:

Thanks in advance Cygni

P.S.S. I would like to say sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum section.

Physics news on Phys.org
String theory does have the Higgs Mechanism, as do all field theories. You will have to learn some maths before you can really discuss it, though, unfortunately.

Hello Cygni,

Thank you for your question. It is a common misconception that the Higgs field and string theory are competing theories. In fact, they are both important parts of our current understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

The Higgs field is a fundamental field in the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the interactions of particles and forces at the subatomic level. It is responsible for giving particles their mass through the Higgs mechanism. This theory has been experimentally confirmed through the discovery of the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider in 2012.

On the other hand, string theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all the fundamental forces of nature, including gravity, into a single theory. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny strings vibrating at different frequencies. These vibrations give rise to the different particles and forces that we observe.

So, while the Higgs field is a key component of the Standard Model, string theory goes beyond it to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the universe. In fact, string theory incorporates the Higgs field into its framework, as the strings themselves possess a Higgs-like field that gives them mass and allows them to interact with other particles.

In conclusion, the Higgs field and string theory are not competing theories, but rather complementary ones that work together to provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in our universe. I hope this helps clarify your question. Keep asking curious questions, and keep learning!

What is the Higgs Field?

The Higgs Field is a theoretical concept in particle physics that explains how particles acquire mass. It is thought to permeate all of space and is responsible for giving particles their mass through interactions with the Higgs boson.

What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny, vibrating strings.

How does the Higgs Field relate to String Theory?

The Higgs Field is thought to play a crucial role in String Theory. It is believed that the Higgs Field and the Higgs boson are necessary for the existence of strings and their interactions, which ultimately give rise to the particles and forces in the universe.

Does the Higgs Field exist in all versions of String Theory?

The Higgs Field is a part of the Standard Model of particle physics, which is a fundamental part of many versions of String Theory. However, there are some versions of String Theory that do not incorporate the Higgs Field, such as some variations of M-Theory.

What evidence is there for the Higgs Field incorporating with String Theory?

There is currently no direct evidence for the existence of the Higgs Field or String Theory. However, the discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider provided some indirect support for the Higgs Field's role in String Theory. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand the relationship between the two theories.