Does Human Knowledge Have Limits?

In summary, Sir Adam believes that the universe exists and that it is beyond the human mind. However, he does not think that anything can be known about it.
Sir Adam
The Universe, does it exist?

here is some of a conversation i had on IRC last night:

[10:52] SShadow_{D-O} What happens happens
[10:53] SShadow_{D-O} No one knows anything
[10:53] SShadow_{D-O} everything that has been "learned" is theories
[10:55] SShadow_{D-O} THE WORLD IS NOTHING
[10:55] SShadow_{D-O} JUST AN ENDLESS CYCLE
[10:55] SShadow_{D-O} OF REOCCURING EVENTS
[10:57] SShadow_{D-O} I don't think there is a universe
[10:57] SShadow_{D-O} I think this is the only world
[10:57] SShadow_{D-O} To ever live
[10:59] [DW]Capt_Kiwi|meditating IN THEORY, THERE MIGHT NOT BE ANYTHING
[10:59] SShadow_{D-O} no kiwi
[10:59] SShadow_{D-O} that is not theory
[10:59] SShadow_{D-O} that is real
[10:29] SShadow_{D-O} Life is nothing
[10:29] SShadow_{D-O} it controlls the future
[10:59] SShadow_{D-O} THERE IS NOTHING
[11:01] SShadow_{D-O} THERE IS NOTHING IN THIS WORLD
[11:01] SShadow_{D-O} ONLY WHAT YOU WANT IT TO BE
[11:06] SShadow_{D-O} there are no humans
[11:06] SShadow_{D-O} there are no people
[11:06] SShadow_{D-O} what does older mean?
[11:06] SShadow_{D-O} answer:
[11:06] SShadow_{D-O} NOTHING
[11:08] SShadow_{D-O} listen:
[11:08] SShadow_{D-O} There is only Time
[11:08] SShadow_{D-O} Past and present
[11:08] SShadow_{D-O} the past has existed
[11:08] SShadow_{D-O} the present does
[11:09] SShadow_{D-O} and the future hasn't

In my opinion, no theory explaining how the universe began, or life began, or what the universe is, is not correct. I believe that the answer is beyond the human mind, beyond our thinking. I do not think that that answer can ever be answered... only a "higher power" knows. What do you all think?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Well, to put you at ease, Sir Adam, the Universe exists. You see, "Universe" refers to everything, and if nothing existed then you wouldn't exist and this question would never have been posted. Therefore, even if you are all that exists, the Universe exists, since "Universe" refers to everything that exists.

I'll have to get to those individual comments later, since I have to get off-line soon. Sorry.

IMHO, the universe is defined as existing. Or, in another way, our concept of existence derives from our understanding of what the universe is.

I believe that the answer is beyond the human mind, beyond our thinking.
But to state that, you must already know something of the answer, no? I see no reason at present to put anything as beyond us.

Everything is another matter...

Originally posted by FZ+
But to state that, you must already know something of the answer, no? I see no reason at present to put anything as beyond us.

Everything is another matter...

I've seen you post this before, and I thought it made perfect sense, but now I have a question: If there isn't anything beyond the human ability to discover it, then why is "everything" beyond us? Everything would be a specified amount of knowledge, and that amount would be something, and should thus not be put beyond us if we're holding to the "don't put anything beyond us" statement.

1. What is the Universe?

The Universe is the entirety of space, time, matter, and energy. It includes all galaxies, stars, planets, and other celestial objects.

2. How old is the Universe?

The current estimated age of the Universe is approximately 13.8 billion years old. This age is determined through various scientific methods, such as the study of cosmic microwave background radiation and the expansion rate of the Universe.

3. Is time travel possible?

According to our current scientific understanding, time travel is not possible. The laws of physics, specifically the theory of relativity, suggest that traveling through time would require an immense amount of energy and would violate causality, the principle that an event cannot occur before its cause.

4. Can we travel to other galaxies?

At this point in time, we do not have the technology to travel to other galaxies. The vast distances between galaxies and the limitations of our current propulsion systems make it nearly impossible for humans to physically reach other galaxies.

5. Can time travel alter the course of history?

The concept of altering history through time travel is a popular theme in science fiction, but there is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that it is possible. The idea of changing the past raises paradoxes and conflicts with the laws of physics, making it highly unlikely that time travel could have a significant impact on history.