1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does my undergrad curriculum matter a lot?

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    Hi. I'm currently a sophomore and I am doing a math major with a concentration in statistics. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of courses there are for the major.

I haven't taken any math classes during my first year, and I just finished up linear algebra (intro level; will be taking upper level linear algebra next semester), multivariable calculus, probability, statistics, and matlab.

I am meeting with my adviser next week to discuss my courses for next year and I wanted to get as much information as possible before the meeting so that I can make the most of it. I know I'll be taking linear algebra next semester but as for the rest, I'm not sure.

I am really interested in math, but I don't know if going to grad school and going into academia is right for me, because it seems really overwhelming. I'll most likely try to get a job with just a bachelor's degree or go for a master's.

Whether it's for the workplace or getting into grad school for a master's in stats, does it really matter what courses I do as an undergrad? There are a lot of courses that I am interested in, but due to time constraints I cannot take them all. How can I take the courses that would be the most useful later? Or is my courseload not very important, as any necessary skills can be picked up with self-teaching and experience?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted