Does Newton's Third Law apply to magnetism?

In summary, Newton's Third Law applies to magnetism in the sense that a moving charge creating a magnetic field will also experience an equal and opposite force from another charge. This is due to the fact that the relative velocities of each charge are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, and the magnetic force is proportional to the velocity.
cryora
Newton's Third Law states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. I'm wondering if and how this applies to magnetism. I would assume that it would mean if a moving charge is creating a magnetic field that causes a magnetic force on another charge, then it can be said that the latter charge causes a magnetic force on the former charge of equal magnitude but opposite direction? I suppose this can be explained from the fact that the relative velocities of each charge is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction of each other, and the magnetic force is proportional to the velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
cryora said:
I would assume that it would mean if a moving charge is creating a magnetic field that causes a magnetic force on another charge, then it can be said that the latter charge causes a magnetic force on the former charge of equal magnitude but opposite direction?
Yes.
I suppose this can be explained from the fact that the relative velocities of each charge is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction of each other, and the magnetic force is proportional to the velocity.
Right!

1. Does Newton's Third Law apply to magnetism?

Yes, Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This applies to all forces, including magnetic forces.

2. How does Newton's Third Law apply to magnetism?

According to Newton's Third Law, when two magnets interact, the force exerted by one magnet on the other is equal in strength and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the second magnet on the first.

3. Can Newton's Third Law be used to explain magnetic attraction and repulsion?

Yes, Newton's Third Law can be used to explain magnetic attraction and repulsion. When two magnets are attracted to each other, it is because the force exerted by one magnet on the other is equal and opposite to the force exerted by the second magnet on the first. When two magnets repel each other, it is because the forces are again equal and opposite, but in this case, the forces are in the same direction, resulting in repulsion.

4. Are there any exceptions to Newton's Third Law in magnetism?

No, there are no exceptions to Newton's Third Law in magnetism. This law applies to all interactions between magnetic objects, regardless of their size, strength, or orientation.

5. How does Newton's Third Law apply to the behavior of magnets in everyday life?

In everyday life, Newton's Third Law can be observed in the behavior of magnets when they are used in various applications. For example, the force that allows a refrigerator magnet to stick to the fridge is due to the equal and opposite forces between the magnet and the metal surface. Similarly, the motion of electric motors and generators also follow Newton's Third Law, as the forces exerted by the magnetic field cause the rotation of the motor or generator.