Does one need Physics with calc or can one just take college physics

In summary, the prerequisites for taking physics without calculus states that you can still take later classes in physics, but you will not be as proficient. However, if you are a math enthusiast and have taken physics in high school, you will excel in this class.
andrewkg
At the university in my town they offer summer physics courses. Although only college physics and not physics with calculus. I have the option to take this and do the first half of physics. Will only taking physics without calc hinder my abilities for later classes in physics? The prerequisites say you can do either and still take latter classes but I wanted your opinions. Also I'm still in high school so will probably take physics with calc when I actually go. but for now after these classes I want to take osculations and waves, etc while still here. Will I be able to understand these at the same level?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Non-calculus physics is geared for non-science majors, or science majors other than the physical sciences. Ie, biology, pre-med, some geologies. Ya certainly could take the non-calculus, and get a "jump start" on calculus based physics you might take later. The primary thing you miss out on in non-calculus physics is the development of a true "intuition" in your problem solving processes. The physics are the same, it's just that route from A to B is shortened. By that I mean, the relationships are "developed for ya" outside of the texts and classroom, you are presented with the "end product" of the derivations in the form a of an algebraic formula. Ya miss the process of deriving the principles.

What is your math background now? I'm not sure you can even take calculus based physics yet. Any physics based calculus course I've seen has Cal 1 as a corequisite. Also, if you have taken any physics in high school, you excel in math-based classes, or consider yourself a "fast-learner," I would not recommend taking General Physics as you're time(and money) would be better served self teaching the concepts, which in General Physics is mostly memorization of formulas.

Well this summer I'm taking calculus 1 and then in the fall I will be in calc 2 and the fall is the next available time that they offer calc based physics. I love math and math based classes and is my belief I'm a fast learner, but as far as self study I could do that but I would prefer to take them in the classroom, when I'm taking the actual class I am far more proficient. And well as far as cost I can take the classes there for next to nothing there's a program that will pay for most it.

So should I just wait and self study or should I just do both?

andrewkg said:
So should I just wait and self study or should I just do both?

Take the class. You'll have a college credit, and you will be able ask for a expansion on the concept under consideration during lectures (ya can't do that with a self study program.) The additional exposure will make calculus based physics that much more fun for you when you get to that.

Given the maths background you listed, I wouldn't see why you couldn't do an introductory calculus based physics if the college offers one. In the introductory physics, you won't find anything much of anything deeper than 2nd derivatives, and some partial/indefinite integrals, first order differentials.

Go for the class, ya'll enjoy it. I didn't realize that you were H.S. taking college classes, good luck, and make it fun.

Thank you for the advice. I think that's what I will do. I'm excited.

1. Does one need Physics with calc or can one just take college physics?

It depends on your intended major and the requirements of the college you are attending. If you are pursuing a science or engineering major, it is highly recommended to take Physics with calculus as it will provide a deeper understanding of physics principles. However, if you are not planning on majoring in a science or engineering field, college physics may be sufficient.

2. What is the difference between Physics with calc and college physics?

The main difference is the level of mathematical rigor and depth of topics covered. Physics with calculus will involve advanced mathematical concepts such as derivatives and integrals to understand and solve problems, while college physics may only require basic algebra. Additionally, Physics with calculus may cover more advanced topics and applications of physics principles.

3. Can I take college physics without taking calculus?

Yes, many colleges offer college physics courses that do not require calculus as a prerequisite. However, it is important to check with your specific college to see if they have any requirements or recommendations for taking calculus before or alongside college physics.

4. Will taking Physics with calc be more challenging than college physics?

It depends on your comfort level with math and your understanding of physics concepts. For some students, Physics with calculus may be more challenging due to the use of advanced math, while others may find it easier to understand physics principles through the use of calculus.

5. What can I do with a degree in Physics with calc?

A degree in Physics with calculus can lead to a variety of career paths, including research, engineering, teaching, and more. The advanced mathematical and analytical skills gained from this degree can be applied to many fields and industries, making it a versatile and valuable degree to have.