Does Q = enthelpy in Constant Temperature?

In summary, the enthalpy in a constant temperature process with added heat is equal to the initial enthalpy plus the Q value. This is because energy is conserved and heat is a form of energy. For the specific problem of steam with a given pressure and dryness fraction, the enthalpy can be calculated by adding the components separately and using the equation Q = ΔH. The question also asks for work, which can be calculated using the equation ΔS = Q/T.
Jameseyboy

Homework Statement

In a constant temperature process, where heat is added - Does the enthalpy after the heat is added equal the initial enthalpy plus the Q value?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
For an ideal gas, if the temperature is constant, the change in enthalpy is zero.

For my particular question I have steam with a given pressure and dryness fraction. Really not sure what to do here

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system (relative to some selected "zero point", we have no theory which allows us to determine the absolute energy of any system). In Classical Physics Energy is conserved. It is neither lost nor gained in any isolated system. In Relativity, if you include Mass, Momentum and stress in your definition of Energy, which is the way it works, then Energy is conserved (locally). Meaning the Laws of Thermodynamics are locally obeyed. So, you need to engrave in your soul that unlike vampires, and Magneto, energy can be neither created nor destroyed. Heat is the flow of energy. If energy is flowing into a system, you shouldn't need to ask if enthalpy is increasing by *EXACTLY* the same amount. Of course it is.
Dryness fraction is an engineering term, and until 30 seconds ago, I'd never heard of it.
Try: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wet-steam-quality-d_426.html
or
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthalpy–entropy_chart
it seems to be a simple problem of adding components of enthalpy together (computed separately).

Jameseyboy said:
For my particular question I have steam with a given pressure and dryness fraction. Really not sure what to do here
No problem. If you have saturated vapor and saturated liquid in equilibrium at a given quality, temperature, and pressure, and you add or remove heat so that the quality changes, then Q = ΔH (provided you don't add or remove enough heat to take you out of the two phase region). Also, ΔS=Q/T.

Chet

Ok makes sense so far just wasn't sure.

It also asks for work later in the question.

(these are only for a few marks as well which is why it's frustrating. The harder questions I have a good idea how they go)

I appreciate the help buddy

Related to Does Q = enthelpy in Constant Temperature?

1. What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the total energy of a system. It takes into account both the internal energy and the amount of work required to change the system's pressure and volume.

2. What is constant temperature?

Constant temperature refers to a system or process in which the temperature remains the same throughout. This means that the amount of heat added to the system is equal to the amount of heat lost, resulting in no change in temperature.

3. What is the relationship between Q and enthalpy at constant temperature?

At constant temperature, the change in enthalpy (ΔH) is equal to the heat added or removed from the system (Q). This is known as the enthalpy of reaction and is commonly used in thermodynamic calculations.

4. How is enthalpy calculated at constant temperature?

Enthalpy at constant temperature can be calculated using the formula: H = U + PV, where H is the enthalpy, U is the internal energy, P is the pressure, and V is the volume of the system.

5. Can enthalpy be negative at constant temperature?

Yes, enthalpy can be negative at constant temperature. This means that the system has released heat to its surroundings, resulting in a decrease in enthalpy. Negative enthalpy values are commonly seen in exothermic reactions.