Does the backward emf reach the Source emf ?

• Thread starter B4ssHunter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emf Source
In summary, when a d.c circuit with a solenoid is turned on, the back EMF affects the entire circuit and can cause changes in the current flow. The total voltage drop across the inductor is equal to the source EMF plus the voltage due to the inductor's resistance. This can cause the current to flow in the opposite direction if the back EMF is greater than the source EMF. In circuits with just an inductor and no other resistors, the voltage across the inductor will always be equal to the source voltage, regardless of changes in the magnetic flux.
B4ssHunter
when turning on a d.c circuit connected to a very simple solenoid, does the backward emf ever reach the source emf ? if it does then how does the current continue to flow ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It affects the entire circuit, but what you should be thinking about are the potential differences. Let's take a very simple circuit consisting of a battery, a resistor, an inductor coil, and a switch. For simplicity, let's assume that only resistor and inductor have resistances, labeled R1 and R2 rsepectively, and only inductor has inductance.

Once with close the circuit with the switch, current is going to start flowing. The increasing magnetic field in the inductor will induce electric field, which will cause back EMF. What does that mean? It means that the total voltage drop across the inductor is going to be VI = VEMF + I R2. Resistor, on the other hand, simply follows Ohm's law, and VR = I R1. We know that current I is the same everywhere. And we know that total of all voltage drops around the circuit must cancel out. (Kirchoff's Laws.) So V - VR - VI = 0, where V is voltage across battery.

These equations are pretty easy to solve. Just substituting the voltages we know, we get the equation: V - VEMF = I (R1+R2). So the current in the entire circuit is going to be affected by the amount of back EMF. And as the current changes, voltage across the resistor is going to change as well. And so the back EMF affects the entire circuit. Furthermore, if VEMF > V, it can get the current to flow the wrong way. This will never happen in this particular circuit, but can happen in general.

aha \
just a couple of questions
shouldn't Vi = Vemf - IR2 ? since these potential differences are opposite * like two opposing batteries *
now the important one , how much of the original V does the induced Emf reach ? when does V = Vemf ?

The I R2 potential also opposes the current. So back EMF and voltage due to resistance are in the same direction.

Of course, this is down to sign convention. You just have to make sure you are consistent.

just to make sure i understand it
if the inductor is alone in the circuit with no other resistors , and even the resistance of the inductor = 0 , the voltage across the conductor must always = to 12 voltage correct ? no matter how the flux changes through time

1. What is backward emf and source emf?

Backward emf is the electromotive force that opposes the current flow in a circuit, while source emf is the electromotive force that drives the current in a circuit.

2. How is backward emf related to source emf?

Backward emf is directly related to source emf as it is caused by the source emf and is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

3. Does the strength of backward emf always equal the strength of source emf?

No, the strength of backward emf can vary depending on the circuit components and the current flow. However, it will always be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the source emf.

4. Does backward emf always reach the source emf?

No, backward emf is affected by the circuit components and can vary depending on the current flow. In some cases, it may not reach the source emf, but it will always oppose it.

5. What is the importance of understanding backward emf and source emf?

Understanding backward emf and source emf is crucial in designing and analyzing circuits. It helps in predicting the behavior of the circuit and ensuring the proper functioning of the components. It is also essential in minimizing power losses and improving the efficiency of the circuit.