Does the Current Stay Constant in Series Resistors Connected to an Insulator?

In summary, the current flowing through a series circuit of resistors is constant, meaning it stays the same throughout the circuit. However, this only applies if the resistors and their values are not changed. If they are altered, the current will also change.
Likith D
I was told that for resistors connected in series (whatever the equivalent resistance be) the current flowing through a circuit will be a constant
Say i had 'n' number of resistors in series connected to say a battery such that the equivalent resistance was equal to that of an insulator, would i still expect to see current flowing through them
Say i also had a bulb connected along the long chain of resistors (series obviously) would i expect to see the bulb glowing ?
if i were to replace my chain of resistors with an insulator ( the one i mentioned ) would there be still some current flowing ?
if i ripped the atoms of the insulator and say that i got each and every atoms of the insulator in series ( that is to avoid current going in parallel because in atomic atoms don't just form 1d structure but also 3d ) would there be current still flowing through it?
{ Given i don't change potential difference or anything else }
OR ARE MY QUESTIONS VALID AT ALL ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Likith D said:
Say i had 'n' number of resistors in series connected to say a battery such that the equivalent resistance was equal to that of an insulator, would i still expect to see current flowing through them
A perfect insulator has infinite resistance, and you never reach infinity if you keep adding real numbers. There are no perfect insulators, however, so you always get some current, both with materials called insulators and with arbitrary long chains of resistors.
Likith D said:
Say i also had a bulb connected along the long chain of resistors (series obviously) would i expect to see the bulb glowing ?
Only if the current is large enough.
Likith D said:
if i were to replace my chain of resistors with an insulator ( the one i mentioned ) would there be still some current flowing ?
Yes with a real insulator, no with a theoretical perfect insulator.
Likith D said:
if i ripped the atoms of the insulator and say that i got each and every atoms of the insulator in series ( that is to avoid current going in parallel because in atomic atoms don't just form 1d structure but also 3d ) would there be current still flowing through it?
If you change the molecular structure of an insulator you can get a conductor (e.g. compare diamond and graphite), or an insulator again, so there is no general answer to that question.

mfb said:
A perfect insulator has infinite resistance, and you never reach infinity if you keep adding real numbers. There are no perfect insulators, however, so you always get some current, both with materials called insulators and with arbitrary long chains of resistors.Only if the current is large enough.Yes with a real insulator, no with a theoretical perfect insulator.If you change the molecular structure of an insulator you can get a conductor (e.g. compare diamond and graphite), or an insulator again, so there is no general answer to that question.
For Q no one, can't vacuum be a perfect insulator ( because i guess that even tesla coils don"t work in vacuum)
For Q no 3, so whatever is connected to two different terminals, there is some current flowing through it, even air ? ( i mean its a gas! atoms hardly touch each other to make a circuit and yet the tesla coil works in air )

Likith D said:
For Q no one, can't vacuum be a perfect insulator ( because i guess that even tesla coils don"t work in vacuum)
You still get some current from thermal emission of electrons, and breakthrough if the electric field is too strong. That is not conductivity in the classical sense, but there is a current flow.
Likith D said:
For Q no 3, so whatever is connected to two different terminals, there is some current flowing through it, even air ?
Right. Especially if the air has some water vapor or dust in it, but even clean dry air conducts a tiny bit of current.

mfb said:
You still get some current from thermal emission of electrons, and breakthrough if the electric field is too strong.Right. Especially if the air has some water vapor or dust in it, but even clean dry air conducts a tiny bit of current.
Why does e- travel even in between air ( vacuum ) just to reach the other terminal

By vacuum, i mean inter molecular spaces

This is no longer about "resistors in series". This is now about vacuum conductivity and field emission. Is this REALLY what you want to learn in this thread?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is no longer about "resistors in series". This is now about vacuum conductivity and field emission. Is this REALLY what you want to learn in this thread?

Zz.
nope

Likith D said:
nope

Then maybe you want to backtrack a bit and figure out if you really want to ask the question in Post #5, because that is the direction you are taking.

Zz.

Likith D said:
I was told that for resistors connected in series (whatever the equivalent resistance be) the current flowing through a circuit will be a constant.

I wondered if you are confusing "constant" and "the same in each resistor"?

In a series circuit the current is the same in each resistor eg its constant as you travel along a line of resistors.

It's does not stay constant if you start changing the value of resistors or the number of resistors.

Sorry if you know this.

Related to Does the Current Stay Constant in Series Resistors Connected to an Insulator?

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of an object's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is measured in units called ohms (Ω).

2. How is resistance calculated?

Resistance is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current. In equation form, it looks like this: R = V/I

3. What factors affect resistance?

The three main factors that affect resistance are the material of the object, the length of the object, and the cross-sectional area of the object. Other factors include temperature and the presence of any impurities or defects in the material.

4. How do you measure resistance?

Resistance can be measured using a device called a multimeter, which passes a small amount of current through the object and measures the resulting voltage. This voltage is then used to calculate the resistance using Ohm's Law.

5. Why is resistance important?

Resistance is important because it determines how much current will flow through a circuit. It also plays a role in the efficiency and safety of electrical systems. Understanding resistance is essential for designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits.