Does the direction of the incoming ball affect the resulting exit velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity of a ball when hit by a tennis player. The first thought is that the ball would have a greater exiting velocity if it started at rest due to the change in direction when it is hit. The conversation then includes calculations using different values and reference frames to determine the velocity of the ball. However, due to the variables of an elastic collision and the convention of positive and negative velocities, it is difficult to determine in which scenario the ball would come out faster.
Peter G.
Hi,

I was trying to figure whether a ball would have a larger exiting velocity if it started from rest or if it was coming towards me at a given velocity.

My first thought is that it would have a greater exiting velocity if it started at rest. When I hit an incoming ball it will change direction and, since momentum is a vector, I believed the exiting speed would be smaller.

I tried using some numbers from an old exercise question:

0.07 kg Ball
Time of Contact between Ball and Tennis Racket: 0.1 second
Maximum force exerted by Tennis Player 28 N
Incoming Speed: -10 m/s

The change in momentum the Tennis player can produce: F x Δt = 2.8 kgms

(I set the incoming velocity as negative)

2.8 = 0.07v - (0.07 * (-10))
2.8 = 0.07v + 0.7
v = 30 ms

Now, if the ball started at rest:

2.8 = 0.07v - 0
v = 40 ms

But if I set the incoming velocity as positive for example:

2.8 = (0.07 * -v) - 0.7
3.5 = (0.07 * -v)
v = - 50 ms

And this would change the whole thing!

I am probably making a stupid mistake somewhere, I am confused :confused:

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

I was trying to figure whether a ball would have a larger exiting velocity if it started from rest or if it was coming towards me at a given velocity.

My first thought is that it would have a greater exiting velocity if it started at rest. When I hit an incoming ball it will change direction and, since momentum is a vector, I believed the exiting speed would be smaller.

I tried using some numbers from an old exercise question:

0.07 kg Ball
Time of Contact between Ball and Tennis Racket: 0.1 second
Maximum force exerted by Tennis Player 28 N
Incoming Speed: -10 m/s

The change in momentum the Tennis player can produce: F x Δt = 2.8 kgms

(I set the incoming velocity as negative)

2.8 = 0.07v - (0.07 * (-10))
2.8 = 0.07v + 0.7
v = 30 ms

Now, if the ball started at rest:

2.8 = 0.07v - 0
v = 40 ms

But if I set the incoming velocity as positive for example:

2.8 = (0.07 * -v) - 0.7
3.5 = (0.07 * -v)
v = - 50 ms

And this would change the whole thing!

I am probably making a stupid mistake somewhere, I am confused :confused:

Thanks,
Peter G.

Using the reference frame for the velocity that you are using in the first equation, a positive velocity would imply the ball is moving away from you and negative means its coming towards you.

In the bold equation you have effective reversed this reference frame so a -ve velocity is moving away from you and +ve is coming towards you.

Also a tennis ball is an elastic collision so it makes it more difficult to calculate the true value as this can depend on the temperature, string tension, age of the ball etc. as these will change the elasticity of the tennis ball.

AL

Sorry, I am still a bit confused. I thought the +ve and -ve were just a convention, can it alter the result? So, even if we use the same ball we can't determine in which scenario it would come out faster?

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction remains constant. This means that the total momentum of all objects in the system stays the same, even if individual objects may experience changes in momentum.

What is exit velocity?

Exit velocity is the speed at which an object leaves a certain point, such as the exit of a cannon or the tip of a bat. It is often used in sports to measure the speed of a ball or puck leaving a player's equipment.

What factors affect an object's momentum?

The two main factors that affect an object's momentum are its mass and its velocity. An object with a larger mass or higher velocity will have a greater momentum.

Can an object have a nonzero momentum but zero velocity?

Yes, an object can have a nonzero momentum but zero velocity. This can occur when an object is at rest, but still has a mass. In this case, the object's momentum is determined by its mass, rather than its velocity.