Does the MWI Imply Reality Splits When Observing Photon Paths?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics, specifically in relation to a half-silvered mirror experiment. It is explained that the photon becomes in a superposition of both passing and reflecting when it encounters the mirror at an angle of 45 degrees. The conversation also delves into the idea of multiple observers and how the superposition of the photon can result in different outcomes for each observer. The concept of decoherence is also mentioned as a possible explanation for the split in reality.
entropy1
I am sorry to bore you people with a very, very simple question (there is no catch unless QM throws it :nb) ): ?:)

If we have a half silvered mirror and we fire a single photon at it at an angle of 45°, it either passes or reflects from the mirror. To be more precise, the photon becomes in a superposition of both, and is taking two paths simultaneously after encountering the mirror, aka 'superposition'.

So, when we have two observers, A at the end of the photon's path passing the mirror, and B at the end of the photon's path reflecting from the mirror, the/a photon is detected either by A or by B, but not both A and B.

Is it right to refer to the MWI and presuppose that reality is split in two, one version where A detects the photon, and one version where B detects the photon? I just wonder if it is that simple.

Where is this split created?

Is the superposition a way of QM to reconcile the particle having to be sliced into smaller pieces by the mirror?

Likes Derek P
Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
Is it right to refer to the MWI and presuppose that reality is split in two, one version where A detects the photon, and one version where B detects the photon? I just wonder if it is that simple.
That is MWI, yes. It is the natural result if you assume the wave function is physical and follows unitary evolution everywhere.
entropy1 said:
The "split" is just our interpretation of the state - in practice you can say it happens from decoherence.
entropy1 said:
Is the superposition a way of QM to reconcile the particle having to be sliced into smaller pieces by the mirror?
I don't understand that question.

Likes entropy1
Does the split only occur as a result of superposition? Or are there other possible causes?

The split is a superposition - of things that stopped influencing each other.

Likes entropy1
mfb said:
In my example, which things stopped influencing each other?

The part of the wave function we describe as "A saw the photon" and the part "B saw the photon".

I have to think about that. Thanks! :smile:

Just found this remarkable D.Wallace's statement, in the book Many Worlds?: Everett, Quantum Theory, & Reality :

Decoherence causes the Universe to develop an emergent branching structure. The existence of this branching is a robust (albeit emergent) feature of reality; so is the modsquared amplitude for any macroscopically described history. But there is no non-arbitrary decomposition of macroscopically described histories into 'finest grained' histories, and no non-arbitrary way of counting those histories.

(page 68)

- so, things like "particle having to be sliced" are our arbitrary ideas about the objective mathematics that is generating the potential variants for our experience.

Last edited:
entropy1 said:
mfb said:
I don't understand that question.
The mirror doesn't slice the photon in half, but sends it on its way to A or B. However, in case of this setup:
HS Mirror setup.jpg

since only the right detector detects a photon due to interference of the two photon paths (M1, M2), the photon seemingly (in my mind) is sliced in two in order to interfere with itself. But this slicing is not possible since the irreducability of a particle, hence the way out using superposition?

Attachments

• HS Mirror setup.jpg
    HS Mirror setup.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 529
If the half-silvered mirror is 70% silvered, do we then get a superposition of the photon of α|A> + β|B> with α=√0.7 and β=√0.3?

entropy1 said:
The mirror doesn't slice the photon in half, but sends it on its way to A or B.
I don't think either of these is a good description. The mirror creates a superposition of |A> and |B>.
entropy1 said:
If the half-silvered mirror is 70% silvered, do we then get a superposition of the photon of α|A> + β|B> with α=√0.7 and β=√0.3?
Sure.

Likes bhobba
mfb said:
I don't think either of these is a good description. The mirror creates a superposition of |A> and |B>.
So is it correct that this setup should be discussed in terms of states/wavefunctions instead of in terms of 'photons'?

Last edited:
It should be discussed with states of photons.

mfb said:
It should be discussed with states of photons.
If the photon takes both paths, in order to be able to interfere with itself, then what is 'traveling' along both paths exactly? Two full photons or two half photons?

entropy1 said:
Two full photons or two half photons?
Neither.

A state with a given amplitude. To understand the system you have to consider the whole state - the superposition of both paths.

Likes QuantumQuest and entropy1
mfb said:
Is the stopping of influencing related to the orthogonality of |A> and |B>?

mfb said:

This may be a pedantic point but they never did influence each other. Different states in superposition evolve independently. The only things that influence each other are different subsystems. What I'm sure you mean is interference. But in interference the "separate" wavefunctions pass through each other without influencing each other. The interference is seen when the observer resolves the superposition in a new basis. The worlds split when this interference is no longer possible because phase coherence has been lost - which makes the split irreversible.

Likes eloheim
Derek P said:
Different states in superposition evolve independently.
Technically correct, but in practice you certainly want to consider them together in many cases, as you need this to evaluate amplitudes.

Likes bhobba
entropy1 said:
I am sorry to bore you people with a very, very simple question (there is no catch unless QM throws it :nb) ): ?:)

If we have a half silvered mirror and we fire a single photon at it at an angle of 45°, it either passes or reflects from the mirror. To be more precise, the photon becomes in a superposition of both, and is taking two paths simultaneously after encountering the mirror, aka 'superposition'.

So, when we have two observers, A at the end of the photon's path passing the mirror, and B at the end of the photon's path reflecting from the mirror, the/a photon is detected either by A or by B, but not both A and B.

Yes it is that simple. As long as you mean phenomenal reality or, as AlexCaledin's Wallace quote calls the worlds, "macroscopically described histories". The universe becomes a superposition of these phenomenal worlds.

The spit is created when the coherent state of the photon interacts with the macroscopic system. This system is then ridiculously complicated but you can ignore the fine detail and closely approximate it as a probability distribution over the macroscopic states of the detectors.

The idea is simple, the maths is not.

You can certainly view superposition as a way of avoiding the paradox of an indivisible particle being in two places at once. For simplicity you could first postulate that different observable states can coexist. |A> state coexisting with |B> would then be written as the superposition |A>+|B>.

Note: It does not necessarily follow that the superposition has to be interpreted as different observable states co-existing. MWI shows that different worlds emerge, it does not insist on the original coherent quantum state being regarded that way. In fact people do argue whether it should or should not be.

Last edited:
AlexCaledin said:
- so, things like "particle having to be sliced" are our arbitrary ideas about the objective mathematics that is generating the potential variants for our experience.
I don't think so. Wallace is talking about decomposing a branch into many finest-grained histories. The branches map 1:1 to the "slices" i.e. the components of the superposition. So the decomposition in that basis is neither arbitrary nor any more fine-grained than the branching itself.

Related to Does the MWI Imply Reality Splits When Observing Photon Paths?

1. What is MWI superposition?

MWI superposition, or the Many-World Interpretation of quantum mechanics, is a theory that states that all possible outcomes of a quantum measurement actually occur in different parallel universes.

2. How does MWI superposition differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

MWI superposition differs from other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, in that it does not require wave function collapse or the observer's role in determining the outcome of a measurement. Instead, all possible outcomes are considered to be equally real in different parallel universes.

3. What evidence is there for MWI superposition?

There is currently no direct evidence for MWI superposition, as it is a theoretical interpretation of quantum mechanics. However, some experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, have been used to support the concept of parallel universes and the existence of multiple versions of reality.

4. Are there any implications of MWI superposition?

One implication of MWI superposition is that the observer's consciousness is constantly splitting into different versions, each experiencing a different outcome of a measurement. This concept has been explored in science fiction and has sparked philosophical debates about the nature of reality and the self.

5. Is MWI superposition widely accepted by the scientific community?

MWI superposition is a controversial interpretation of quantum mechanics and is not widely accepted by the scientific community. While some physicists and philosophers find it to be a compelling explanation for the strange behavior of particles at the quantum level, others argue that it is untestable and goes beyond what can be supported by evidence.