Does the world really need 'more power'?

• Thread starter DarkMattrHole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary: As the surface temperature cannot be increased without increasing the temperature of the bottom layers of the atmosphere, the counter-radiation from the atmosphere to the ground will increase too. The amount we could continuously add as heat while limiting the temperature effect to 1 K is not the same as adding 700 TW of electricity from fusion.
BWV said:
Well yes, but we are near the end of science, so won't know that much more 300 years from now
No matter what metric you use, we are discovering and developing things at a more rapid rate than ever before, and there is no indication that this trend would end any time soon. So far our research produces far more new question than it answers older questions - the number of known unknowns, i.e. future research topics we know to exist, is going up quickly.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
As far as I know, most if not all developed countries are currently reducing their energy intensity (energy use per person), but developing countries have a long way to go...
Not exactly peer reviewed but, that is also supported by this recent article in:
https://www.wired.com/story/opinion-why-degrowth-is-the-worst-idea-on-the-planet/

"In some important areas, however, a very different pattern emerged after 1970: Growth continued, but environmental harm decreased. This decoupling occurred first with pollution, and first in the rich world. In the US, for example, aggregate levels of six common air pollutants (https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2020-05/2019_baby_graphic_1970.png) have declined by 77 percent, even as gross domestic product increased by 285 percent and population by 60 percent. In the UK, annual tonnage of particulate emissions (https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/emissions-of-particulate-matter?time=1970..2016) dropped by more than 75 percent between 1970 and 2016, and of the main polluting chemicals (https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/air-pollutant-emissions?time=1970..2016) by about 85 percent. Similar gains are common across the highest-income countries."

Sustainable and limitless energy (fusion or advanced solar/wind plus storage) would drastically change geopolitical calculations. Fresh water is no longer limited if you have unlimited and low cost electricity. Israel already has developed desalinization to the point where it's providing more fresh water than they need without vast amounts of energy needed. With unlimited fresh water, previously non-arable land could become fertile. Technology and innovation could find substitutes for some scarce materials. By the time all of this is taking place, we could be mining asteroids for those that are depleted. In other words, the rumors of our death are highly exaggerated. And yes, prosperity is has an inverse relationship with family size.

Likes russ_watters
mfb said:
No matter what metric you use, we are discovering and developing things at a more rapid rate than ever before, and there is no indication that this trend would end any time soon.
What sort of metric are you thinking? How about model accuracy compared to experiments/observations? How about fraction of things left to be discovered? Or do you believe the unknowns are infinite in both quantity and impact?

Last edited:
BWV said:
why is 7 billion too many? CO2 began to rise in the 19th century because that was when coal began to be widely used, cannot impact CO2 levels over the long term by burning wood
"because that was when coal began to be widely used"

I think this sounds more like a quasi-political anti-coal claim. I don't have an issue with being anti-coal, but facts are facts; there was a global temperature minimum in the mid 1600s with a minor glaciation destroying various rural parts of the Swiss Alps, major rivers of Europe froze solid, the Storebaelt froze over and Sweden marched an army across it to attack Denmark, etc.

The rise in CO2 from around mid 1700s was incident with the deglaciation. Wood was the main fuel for the early parts of the industrial revolution and coal took the lead later in the early 1800s after CO2 was already on the rise.

DarkMattrHole said:
The answer should depend on the result. If the result is more of what's going on and what's going up, like pollution, extinction, and temperature, then no, the world doesn't need more power, and the solution lies elsewhere.

If we can stop polluting with particles and gassing out as we consume power, we can defeat catastrophic global warming
I think particulates actually contribute to global cooling, and our dirty ways prior to a few decades ago were probably masking a larger underlying rise, cleaning up meant less cooling effect.

The issue of resources and water, as mentioned, is probably the answer to your question, in my thoughts; the use of energy to recycle, reduce usage, desalination, etc, it is not so much more energy for living, but more energy to recover and recycle stuff so we don't have to keep on digging the stuff up.

On another tac, I've never quite understood the argument against nuclear on cost grounds, I mean if we are in this environmental disaster then why does 'cost' still come into it? Long lived waste is an issue worth complaining about of course, but again why is there such opposition to reprocessing which would have the effect of reducing some of the long lived waste. France reprocesses and produces a relatively small quantity of vitrified waste (compared to those that don't).

World population does indeed seem to be the elephant in the room. If the population naturally declines then that has to be a positive for environmental issues, but it doesn't look like anything that anyone has the political appetite to 'make' happen.

Likes russ_watters
Population isn't a problem. As soon as you talk "population reduction", you run into severe moral & ethical conflicts.

As said before, as nations reach 1st world living standards, birth rates fall off to not even replacing population. The answer is christianity-centric societies & government, where personal integrity is highest virtue, and respect for property of others trumps "redistribution". ("Western Civ" used to be called "Christendom" for a reason; Christian religion/morality/ethos is the main reason for the prosperity of the West.) Also personal behaviour suitable to high-density populations is helpful, eg "respect". And the right to defend yourself against sociopaths.

Energy production is not the only approach, there is also reducing energy footprint; for example, work-from-home via internet has reduced automobile traffic & pollution.

Finally, as the Earth gains more people, the hunter-gatherer mentality must be replaced by a farming mentality. Oceans cannot be fished without restocking; garbage cannot be endlessly dumped, that's the real virtue of recycling.

CMB is correct in that burning coal reduced solar input by putting reflective coal dust in the atmosphere. But global warming is inevitable as the Earth leaves the last ice age. Geologically speaking, Earth normally doesn't have ice caps except during ice ages, and the global temperature is normally 10degrees celcius warmer than now.

russ_watters said:
What sort of metric are you thinking? How about model accuracy compared to experiments/observations? How about fraction of things left to be discovered? Or do you believe the unknowns are infinite in both quantity and impact?
Let's first look at things that are easy to measure:
Publications per year is easy to measure and goes up rapidly. Open research problems left in these publications go up rapidly, too - simply from having more publications.
The number of people working as scientists goes up rapidly.

But what's more relevant is probably impact on our lives:
If you put a person from the year 500 to the year 1500, they would adapt quickly (let's ignore language differences here). The farming methods changed a bit, many other things improved a bit, but overall it's the same lifestyle for most people. Put a person from the year 1500 to the year 1800 and they'll have to adapt quite a lot, despite the much shorter time difference. As you get closer to the present the changes get faster and faster. If you take a person from 1990, just 30 years ago, and put them into a street today they'll wonder why everyone is staring at something they hold in their hand. There is a good chance they won't have heard of the internet yet. On even shorter timescales: How many people buy phones that are 10 years old?
cmb said:
Wood was the main fuel for the early parts of the industrial revolution and coal took the lead later in the early 1800s after CO2 was already on the rise.
As BWV already pointed out, there is only so much wood you can burn before you run out of forests and have to replant (which makes burning wood CO2 neutral). Yes, some of the initial CO2 rise came from a reduction in forest area, but coal was much more important.
CosmologyHobbyist said:
"Western Civ" used to be called "Christendom" for a reason; Christian religion/morality/ethos is the main reason for the prosperity of the West.
That's a really bold claim without any evidence, and it's funny especially as the prosperity of the West increased after religion became less important. There is a well-established strong anticorrelation between prosperity/population happiness and religiosity in a country, and the declining importance of religion comes first.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/7/eaar8680.full
CosmologyHobbyist said:
But global warming is inevitable as the Earth leaves the last ice age. Geologically speaking, Earth normally doesn't have ice caps except during ice ages, and the global temperature is normally 10degrees celcius warmer than now.
We are in an ice age right now and not leaving it either (unless humans lead to this change). What you probably mean is a glacial period: We are in an interglacial. But none of this matters for the timescale we consider here, i.e. a few hundred years. Please do a bit more reading before you comment on these topics.

Likes DrStupid and pbuk
mfb said:
If you put a person from the year 500 to the year 1500, they would adapt quickly (let's ignore language differences here). The farming methods changed a bit, many other things improved a bit, but overall it's the same lifestyle for most people. Put a person from the year 1500 to the year 1800 and they'll have to adapt quite a lot, despite the much shorter time difference. As you get closer to the present the changes get faster and faster. If you take a person from 1990, just 30 years ago, and put them into a street today they'll wonder why everyone is staring at something they hold in their hand. There is a good chance they won't have heard of the internet yet. On even shorter timescales: How many people buy phones that are 10 years old?

although the counter to this is that there was a one-time step change to lifestyles in the 20th century analogous to the agricultural revolution in prehistory. The 6th century peasant’s life is not much different than the 16th century peasant, but both are significantly different than the prehistoric hunter gatherer. Similarly, A middle class family in the 1920s was far different than a premodern peasant, but not that dissimilar to us -they had modern sanitation, electricity and electric appliances, telephones, autos and consumer electronics (radios). We are not that different other than the these items are more refined and advanced. The future holds further refinements and advancements of these basic items , but no possible future technology will improve our lives as much as electricity and plumbing. We are at the point where the slope of the logistic curve flattens, but keep looking back thinking that the exponential growth will continue

Likes russ_watters
BWV said:
The 6th century peasant’s life is not much different than the 16th century peasant, but both are significantly different than the prehistoric hunter gatherer.
You are comparing 1000 years to over 10,000 years here.
BWV said:
A middle class family in the 1920s was far different than a premodern peasant, but not that dissimilar to us -they had modern sanitation, electricity and electric appliances, telephones, autos and consumer electronics (radios).
You are comparing 100 years to centuries here. And I would say this family was very different to a 2020 family. Electricity went from lights to being used everywhere, telephones became mobile and so much more powerful, cars became widely used instead of exotic vehicles, many more consumer electronics were added.
We can send messages and even videos to anyone everywhere in the world instantly - no matter where we are, no matter where the receiver is.
BWV said:
but no possible future technology will improve our lives as much as electricity and plumbing
Don't be so sure about that. Historically that approach always failed. "No possible future improvement can be more important" - until it was.
Plumbing is ~2000 years old, by the way. It just wasn't that widespread until recently.

For centuries we were in a Malthusian trap, only industrialization broke the cycle

1602459380266.png

living on this side of the industrial revolution we expect a similar rate of exponential growth in technology and living standards to continue, but there are physical limits. Per capita GDP in the US today is around $63K. The US has delivered real per capita GDP growth of around 2% annually for 150 years. Another 300 years of real 2% GDP growth would bring per capita GDP to $24 million. GDP is somewhat of a proxy for energy consumption and technological advancement. It seems more realistic to think we are on the flattening part of a logistic curve rather than facing a future of infinite exponential growth

BWV said:
GDP is somewhat of a proxy for energy consumption
Not any more, if you look at the last 10-20 years.
In addition to making things more energy efficient: GDP can increasingly grow by things that exist only in computers - which don't need much energy per dollar.

DarkMattrHole said:
The answer should depend on the result. If the result is more of what's going on and what's going up, like pollution, extinction, and temperature, then no, the world doesn't need more power, and the solution lies elsewhere.

If we can stop polluting with particles and gassing out as we consume power, we can defeat catastrophic global warming, and continue to consume more and more power for quite a while. But at some point the absorption of energy for consumption at the surface will once again begin the rise of global temperature to a catastrophic level.

Solar panels will absorb the sun's energy where it is transported to the surface for release. Even orbiting solar panels beam warming energy to the surface where it is consumed by society. So there's a theoretical limit. So I'm wondering what that limit looks like.

If you could beam clean energy into the lights and toasters, and ovens and dryers and all of industry, how much bigger could a pollution-free powered world get than we are now? Without upsetting the planet?
Yes the world needs more power, if it is clean. Should fusion become reality it would render every nuclear power station, coal oil and gas power station obsolete and marked for cleanup. A clean power source could also be used to clean the environment something that can not be achieved with polluting sources.

CosmologyHobbyist said:
Population isn't a problem. As soon as you talk "population reduction", you run into severe moral & ethical conflicts.
I can't agree with you proposing that population isn't a problem. You might be right that it may not 'need' to be a problem and can be managed, but that certainly does not look like it has been possible so far and does not look likely for the foreseeable future.

I'd challenge you to watch a film by David Attenborough I have watched recently, called "A Life on Our Planet" and maintain the same conclusion you have just made there (his life ... the title is a 'take' on his various series 'Life on Our Planet').

He says one stark and ultimately indisputable comment, which I will paraphrase (as I can't remember exactly); "Nature has learned the secret of life; a species will only flourish when all the species around it flourish." but I would go further and say the environment as a whole needs to flourish. I am not simply talking about global warming or whatever, but the holistic effect we are having on the globe both physically and degrading the wild spaces of the planet (as he refers to them as).

It is not necessarily and simply a question of whether our lives are or are not 'sustainable' from here this point now, but whether we can bring back balance to our world. The current scale and demands of our population seem to me to preclude that possibility.

If you watch the film, you might see what is on my mind here when I say this. I encourage you to do so. The question of energy is only a thing in the background of this film, but if you stop and think about it, having the energy to reprocess all of what we need from what we discard, and to be able to live from the minimum of surface areas, must surely be the lowest impact and thus the most sustainable, however we go from here.

cmb said:
I'd challenge you to watch a film by David Attenborough I have watched recently, called "A Life on Our Planet" and maintain the same conclusion you have just made there (his life ... the title is a 'take' on his various series 'Life on Our Planet').

He says one stark and ultimately indisputable comment, which I will paraphrase (as I can't remember exactly); "Nature has learned the secret of life; a species will only flourish when all the species around it flourish." but I would go further and say the environment as a whole needs to flourish...

It is not necessarily and simply a question of whether our lives are or are not 'sustainable' from here this point now, but whether we can bring back balance to our world.
I looked it up and I might watch, but from the synopsis/trailer it appears to be his personal nostalgic vision of planet Earth. That's fine, but at face value, I don't accept the validity of that paraphrase. It's a common belief among environmentalists that feels religious and looks backwards to me.

To me, nature is characterized by violence, not harmony. Organisms don't seek balance or harmony or assisting each other to flourish, but rather they are constantly fighting each other for survival; killing each other. Maybe this is a Gaia type theory personification of "nature", where there's a belief in an overall balance beyond the individual aims of animals/species. But most of the species that have ever lived are extinct exactly because they've lost the evolutionary tournament and have been killed off by more successful species. There are no permanent balances, only temporary stalemates.

Much of environmentalism appears to me to be primarily an aesthetic belief in the beauty of nature, which is then attempted to find a logical wrapper to enable it to be preserved. I don't see any reason to believe it shouldn't be possible to create a fully artificial biosphere containing exactly the plants and animals we deem worthy of serving our needs. That's the basis for speculated permanent settlements on Mars, for example.

mfb said:
Let's first look at things that are easy to measure:
Publications per year is easy to measure and goes up rapidly. Open research problems left in these publications go up rapidly, too - simply from having more publications.
The number of people working as scientists goes up rapidly.
I don't think what we know or have left to learn about the universe is a function of the population of scientists. Rather, I think the barrier to entry is funding. Scientists can invent their own questions to answer, and those questions only have to be interesting enough to be awarded funding. This way, it is conceivable that more and more scientists could answer smaller and smaller questions, forever -- endlessly adding another decimal place to observations of already proven theories.
That's technology not science, so its relevance is limited to how science has unlocked technological progress. For example, the understanding of the inner workings of the atom unlocking nuclear fission power. That was a big set of scientific discoveries. Impactful. But unless it's turtles all the way down, there has to be an end to the impactful discoveries. I agree that the 20th century was one of spectacular progress. But I see it as a sprint to a nearby finish line, not as an entry into an infinite void.

[edit]
Oh, and I'll suggest a metric as a counterpoint to your claim that any metric shows an increasing pace: Accuracy of prediction/measurement of the speed of light. These are asymptotically approaching exact. I use this example because there are sources online listing such measurements which can be plotted, but the same sort of logic/metric can apply to nearly anything we have thought to predict/model for an amount of time. Accuracy of orbit predictions, for example.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
I don't see any reason to believe it shouldn't be possible to create a fully artificial biosphere containing exactly the plants and animals we deem worthy of serving our needs.
It should certainly be possible, but it is difficult. All attempts so far have failed. And people have tried. Biosphere 2 is probably the most notable example. They struggled with the food production, they struggled with the oxygen production, they didn't achieve a stable plant population.
russ_watters said:
I don't think what we know or have left to learn about the universe is a function of the population of scientists.
That was a post about the rate of progress, not about what's left to learn.
russ_watters said:
This way, it is conceivable that more and more scientists could answer smaller and smaller questions, forever -- endlessly adding another decimal place to observations of already proven theories.
If this would be true (a) we wouldn't get funding and (b) we couldn't increase the rate of technological progress.
russ_watters said:
so its relevance is limited to how science has unlocked technological progress
Yes, and the answer is so obvious that I didn't bother writing it out. But here we go: All this technological progress needed tons of recent scientific discoveries.
russ_watters said:
But I see it as a sprint to a nearby finish line, not as an entry into an infinite void.
Based on what? People have made these statements throughout history. Probably the most famous one was Michelson in 1894, just a little bit before special relativity and quantum mechanics started:
it seems probable that most of the grand underlying principles have been firmly established … An eminent physicist remarked that the future truths of physical science are to be looked for in the sixth place of decimals.
All of them were wrong. What makes you confident your prediction is better?
russ_watters said:
Oh, and I'll suggest a metric as a counterpoint to your claim that any metric shows an increasing pace: Accuracy of prediction/measurement of the speed of light.
That's an absurd metric because the speed of light is defined to be exactly 299792458 m/s. It has zero uncertainty, there is nothing you could improve. Does that mean science has been complete since 1983?
If you look at something we actually measure, then measurements often improve by one or two orders of magnitude per decade. Every order of magnitude is much more difficult to achieve than the previous, but despite increasing difficulty we keep this rate of improvement, sometimes over decades. If you include more historic data points, then progress is super-exponential.

russ_watters said:
To me, nature is characterized by violence, not harmony. Organisms don't seek balance or harmony or assisting each other to flourish, but rather they are constantly fighting each other for survival; killing each other. Maybe this is a Gaia type theory personification of "nature", where there's a belief in an overall balance beyond the individual aims of animals/species. But most of the species that have ever lived are extinct exactly because they've lost the evolutionary tournament and have been killed off by more successful species. There are no permanent balances, only temporary stalemates.
There is certainly violence in nature, but not entirely.
There are plenty examples of cooperative interactions between organisms (or formerly separate organisms):
  • fungi-tree interactions
  • coral-photosynthetic algae
  • mitocondria-archeal host cell
  • chloroplast-plant cell pregenitor
  • a person- their gut microbiota
I agree with your Gaia ideas, but it still not clear if species were actually directly killed by competing species or were just out competed in some less violent manner. Or it the case of the last dinosaurs, by violence from outer space.

Likes BWV
BillTre said:
There is certainly violence in nature, but not entirely.
There are plenty examples of cooperative interactions between organisms (or formerly separate organisms):
  • fungi-tree interactions
  • coral-photosynthetic algae
  • mitocondria-archeal host cell
  • chloroplast-plant cell pregenitor
  • a person- their gut microbiota
Fair enough. Such symbiotic relationships are interesting. Do the gut bacteria still compete with each other?
I agree with your Gaia ideas, but it still not clear if species were actually directly killed by competing species or were just out competed in some less violent manner.
Is there a difference? If a tree grows taller than another tree in order to compete for sunlight, isn't it murdering the weaker/shorter tree? If you and I are both hungry and I shove you aside to grab an apple on the ground, did I "out compete" you or kill you? Does the distinction matter?
Or it the case of the last dinosaurs, by violence from outer space.
Good point -- I'm not sure how common that is, but in some cases sure, the environment changed and destroyed species. Humans, of course, are doing both.

Last edited:
mfb said:
It should certainly be possible, but it is difficult. All attempts so far have failed. And people have tried. Biosphere 2 is probably the most notable example. They struggled with the food production, they struggled with the oxygen production, they didn't achieve a stable plant population.
I'm aware. I didn't have a very high opinion of that project at the time, but maybe that was just because Pauly Shore starred in the movie. In any case, it is my understanding that that is the leading concept for longer-term Mars missions. The Martian was better.
That was a post about the rate of progress, not about what's left to learn.
Wat.

How can there be "progress" if there is nothing left to learn? Are we talking about the same thing?
If this would be true (a) we wouldn't get funding
Really? You'd still try though, right? That's an issue of salesmanship, not science, right? Has funding for science been constant over the past century or has it increased with GDP and population?
and (b) we couldn't increase the rate of technological progress.
Disagree. Technological progress may be unlocked by certain discoveries, but it can take years, decades or centuries for such technologies to mature and fully develop. Nuclear power took 9 years from first demonstration to first usable power, and was pretty mature within 4 decades -- which is awesome. Digital computers took 6 decades from invention to ubiquity (ENIAC to iPhone). But chemical rocketry took 1,100 years.

If the pace of advancement is accelerating, there should be identifiable technologies invented decades ago that should profoundly change the world in the next few years. What are they?

Also relevant: we have a lot more people working on these problems than in Newton's time.
Yes, and the answer is so obvious that I didn't bother writing it out. But here we go: All this technological progress needed tons of recent scientific discoveries.
Cool/agreed. The 20th century was amazing. But this current discussion is about the 21st century (and beyond). What groundbreaking discoveries did we have in 2005 that will unleash the next century of technology like we had in 1905?
Based on what?
It's a question as much as a statement, but it has a simple starting assumption: The Laws of the Universe exist. E.G., eventually we will learn how the universe actually works, and after that, there will be nothing else for Science to do but add decimal places to measurements.

It actually would shock me for you to disagree with me here. Are you literally saying you believe that The Laws of the Universe are infinite in extent and as a result we'll never learn them all, no matter how much we learn? Like, after molecules, atoms, protons and quarks there are an infinite number of additional elementary particles to discover? It's turtles all the way down? Really? I don't believe you could believe such a thing. Nor do I believe that you could fail to recognize that as we learn each next level the impact of the discovery decreases vs the impact of the previous discovery.

I could see this being an existential crisis for a scientist and I would imagine many if not most today have pondered the issue. Do scientists today believe there is so much left to learn that they will have the ability to substantially contribute before science Ends? Or hope? Or do they think that if a Grand Unified Theory is developed, that science will be Over?
People have made these statements throughout history. Probably the most famous one was Michelson in 1894, just a little bit before special relativity and quantum mechanics started:
All of them were wrong. What makes you confident your prediction is better?
You're asking/answering the wrong question. The question is: is there an end? If there is an end, then predictions of when it will occur won't necessarily be correct, but predictions that we are getting closer to it are always true.
That's an absurd metric because the speed of light is defined to be exactly 299792458 m/s. It has zero uncertainty, there is nothing you could improve. Does that mean science has been complete since 1983?
You're being disingenuous here. It means, exactly, that THIS aspect of science was declared to be complete in 1983. Prior to 1983 it was improving asymptotically toward zero error and at 1983 it was declared to be complete and perfect/exact. Finished. It wasn't an arbitrary decision to define it to be exact, it was done because it was found to be a constant and measured to enough precision to not be worth bothering to keep trying to make it more accurate. Science = finished.
If you look at something we actually measure, then measurements often improve by one or two orders of magnitude per decade. Every order of magnitude is much more difficult to achieve than the previous, but despite increasing difficulty we keep this rate of improvement, sometimes over decades. If you include more historic data points, then progress is super-exponential.
I'm aware. Again, you seem to be putting your emphasis behind the effort, not the result. As a practicing scientist, that seems appropriate. But I can't help but wonder if you have that existential question poking the back of your brain that the importance of the next order of magnitude of precision isn't defined by its difficulty but its utility.

Likes BWV
On technology; power and transportation are probably our most important and best yardsticks. They've been issues/barriers since the dawn of humanity and inventions of new methods can be cited as benchmarks. From walking, to pulling something, to the wheel, to the steam engine, to the rocket ship, we're always asking "what can I power with this?" or "what can I do with this if I have more power?" To me, the slowdown and even pullback of transportation technology in the past 50 years is telling regarding scientific/technological barriers. What is the next technological advancement to rival the inception of the jet age or space travel 60 years ago? It was 66 years from the Wright Flyer to Apollo 11. It's been 51 years since Apollo 11.

Likes BWV
russ_watters said:
How can there be "progress" if there is nothing left to learn?
You are jumping to completely new questions every time. Let's look at the post history:

I made a post demonstrating that there is more progress than ever before
"But that's progress, not what is left to learn"
I made another post pointing out that, indeed, this previous post was about progress of science.
And how exactly does that lead to your new question, which starts with a wrong premise anyway? The fact that there is progress clearly shows that there is something to learn.
russ_watters said:
Really?
Yes, really. It's absurd to suggest all funding agencies and people setting their budgets would be completely stupid. Especially as we clearly see the results of their funding.
russ_watters said:
Technological progress may be unlocked by certain discoveries, but it can take years, decades or centuries for such technologies to mature and fully develop
[...]
If the pace of advancement is accelerating, there should be identifiable technologies invented decades ago that should profoundly change the world in the next few years. What are they?
There is no minimal waiting period. A new revolutionary technology next year that uses an effect discovered last year wouldn't be any evidence of science slowing down. It's the opposite, in fact. Sudden profound changes of the world are very rare and hard to predict. If you are fine with slower changes, they are all around us, especially in the technology sector.
russ_watters said:
The Laws of the Universe exist. E.G., eventually we will learn how the universe actually works, and after that, there will be nothing else for Science to do but add decimal places to measurements.
Knowing the fundamental laws of the universe does not mean knowing everything. We know all the fundamental physics that's relevant e.g. in a brain. But that doesn't mean we fully understand the brain. We barely started understanding how it works. We also know all the fundamental physics that's relevant in high temperature superconductors. But we don't know why they are actually superconducting. We can't even predict the mass spectrum of all the hadrons we know, relatively simple composite particles following laws we know very well. And so on.
Even if someone magically hands us the fundamental laws of the universe tomorrow we wouldn't be at the end of science. Most scientists wouldn't even see an impact on their work. Some particle physicists would need new jobs after verifying the laws (assuming we can, with our hardware), others would continue studying hadrons just like before.
russ_watters said:
Are you literally saying you believe that The Laws of the Universe are infinite in extent and as a result we'll never learn them all, no matter how much we learn?
I never said anything like that, neither literally nor figuratively. I don't know where you get that from.
I said we are far away from any limits of the total amount of knowledge we can collect.
russ_watters said:
If there is an end, then predictions of when it will occur won't necessarily be correct, but predictions that we are getting closer to it are always true.
Trivially, yes, but where is the point? That doesn't make a daily prediction "we are close to it, this time for real!" useful.
We'll notice when we are getting anywhere close to limits. More and more research will not lead to new open questions that can be addressed. Ultimately such a limit might not come from things that can be studied, but things that can be studied within the limits of a human brain. Unless computers expand that limit. Anyway, not the point. We don't see any indication of such a limit even for humans.
russ_watters said:
You're being disingenuous here. It means, exactly, that THIS aspect of science was declared to be complete in 1983. Prior to 1983 it was improving asymptotically toward zero error and at 1983 it was declared to be complete and perfect/exact.
There was nothing discovered in 1983 (about the speed of light, obviously). We didn't learn anything new about the speed of light in 1983. We just chose to define the meter based on a transition wavelength of a cesium isotope instead of a transition wavelength of a krypton isotope. It's the same cesium isotope that also defines our second, which gives the speed of light an exact value.
russ_watters said:
It wasn't an arbitrary decision to define it to be exact
It was exactly that, an arbitrary decision. It had good motivations, of course, but ultimately the choice was arbitrary. We could also have switched the definition of a second to the krypton isotope, leading to a different value for the speed of light. Or just kept the 1960 definition. It's all arbitrary. In the future we might switch the definition to optical clocks. We'll almost certainly decide to keep the value the same for convenience, but we wouldn't have to.
russ_watters said:
Again, you seem to be putting your emphasis behind the effort, not the result.
Overcoming the effort is proof of the progress. You need to learn more and at a faster rate to keep up with the trend, and we do that.
russ_watters said:
But I can't help but wonder if you have that existential question poking the back of your brain that the importance of the next order of magnitude of precision isn't defined by its difficulty but its utility.
GPS? NMR? MEG? MFI? Time of flight PET? Gravimeters to look for underground resources? All the result of improving the precision of something by many orders of magnitude until it became useful. And that list is far from complete.
Don't worry about me, I see the results of research everywhere.

russ_watters said:
I looked it up and I might watch, but from the synopsis/trailer it appears to be his personal nostalgic vision of planet Earth. That's fine, but at face value, I don't accept the validity of that paraphrase. It's a common belief among environmentalists that feels religious and looks backwards to me.

Much of environmentalism appears to me to be primarily an aesthetic belief in the beauty of nature, which is then attempted to find a logical wrapper to enable it to be preserved. I don't see any reason to believe it shouldn't be possible to create a fully artificial biosphere containing exactly the plants and animals we deem worthy of serving our needs. That's the basis for speculated permanent settlements on Mars, for example.
Trust me, just watch it and let what he puts forward present itself.

I am not an enviro-activist but enjoy my place sitting on the fence. However, this was quite compelling.

Partly it is because I spent a little time in New Mexico and am aware of how fragile that desert habitat is (because there are State rules what not to do and such). This film somehow reminded me of that, and made me realize that although we 'see' thick forests and places filled with animals, birds, fish, whathaveyou, actually, there are just as 'balanced' as that desert environment and as we chip away at it thinking 'there's a lot of this place, how are we affecting it' the simple evidence is that we are affecting it.

The world's biosphere has to find its own set of balances and regulations, and if we have already made the mistake of thinking we have no effect on it, then let us not compound that mistake by now thinking we can set our own controls and regulations for it.

I was particularly struck by Attenborough's description of the early studies of the herds of the Serengeti. Although the herds are too numerous to even see when they appear in a spot to graze, stretching over the horizon in their millions at times, and although the Serengeti is very large (not quite 'endless' as the name suggests), nonetheless that herd is 'a particular size' and the plains are 'a particular size' and if one or other shrinks then it upsets the balance of the whole ecocycle that revolves around them.

If we think we can manage, control and regulate those near infinite number of interactions at the biological scale, then we're even more stupid now than we were when we thought we had no impact on it all. We'd have learned nothing. We have to find a natural balance with the environment, not create our own artificial balances. If we try, we won't be part of that artificial balance for long, and nature will win back control, with or without us.

I am not saying it has to be the same balance as it was centuries ago, we just have to first balance what we do so it is sustainable, then mitigate or reverse other non-sustainable effects that our so-called 'sustainability' is having.

Extra sustainable energy, or even unlimited energy, will surely help us on this mission to enable more compact and less 'impacting' living, and to reprocess used materials.

cmb said:
If we think we can manage, control and regulate those near infinite number of interactions at the biological scale, then we're even more stupid than we were when we thought we had no impact on it all.
Introduce rabbits to Australia, what could go wrong?
Introduce cane toads to Australia, what could go wrong?
Introduce foxes to Australia, what could go wrong?

So many people thought that. There are certainly cases where introducing a new species worked fine, but then you have all the cases where they became harmful to many other species, often including humans indirectly.

Likes cmb
Notably, we will eventually (very long term) need more power of the right kind. The Earth is in thermodynamic equilibrium with space. If we generally a lot more power here on the surface to power machinery and whatnot, that energy eventually all becomes heat, and shifts the Earth's thermal equilibrium towards hotter. This is no different from excess CO2 causing more heat from the sun to be trapped in our atmosphere resulting in global warming. We can have the same effect if we just generate enough power from power plants.

If the power plant is generating "new" energy that would not otherwise have been on planet Earth, then it heats up the earth. Examples might be fossil fuels, nuclear, and geothermal. If the power plant is using energy that is already at the surface of the Earth, such as wind, hydro or solar, then we are just using the energy that would have become heat to do work before it ultimately becomes heat. So those are more benign. But there are exceptions. We would not want to put large solar mirrors in space to increase solar power generation down here on earth, because that would be directing new radiant energy onto the surface that otherwise would not have been here, thereby increasing the total heat load. If we came up with some way to shed vast amounts of heat into space, then we could afford to go crazy with these other sources of power, but I am not sure what that would be. Maybe someone will build a 200 mile high thermoelectric generator + space elevator. :-)

Fortunately, the amounts of energy here are very very large. Solar irradiance on Earth is about 173,000 TW. Global electricity power production (doesn't include fossil fuels used directly for non electricity production) is currently around mean 3 TW. So it is pretty small at the moment, around .002%. But it is not inconceivable that our power needs might climb to 5-10 times what they are today in our lifetimes, and certainly could go much higher than that. It has doubled in the last 20 years. At that rate, maybe in 200 years, it will be around 2% of total solar irradiance and starting to cause big problems if it is not endogenous energy. The good news is that there is still a huge amount of unclaimed energy hitting the Earth in terms of solar radiation, and we should be able to power healthy economic expansion with that for some centuries to come. It just means papering more of the surface of the Earth with solar panels.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
But, but, I don't want to be a herbivore. Well, except, Beyond Burgers and Morning Star "meats" aren't bad. I suppose I could survive on those...

image.png

russ_watters said:
Ultimately the question in the OP comes down to a value judgement because of the word "need". How we decide to live and use our resources is a choice based on what we want for a standard of living.

As far as I know, most if not all developed countries are currently reducing their energy intensity (energy use per person), but developing countries have a long way to go to reach the energy intensity and level of development of the developed countries. But even the developed countries could increase their energy intensity in the future if energy gets cheaper and cleaner. We can always find new ways to expend energy.

We can burn unlimited amounts mining for bitcoin and other make-work problems.
Enforcing scarcity via make-work should be banned.

russ_watters said:
On technology; power and transportation are probably our most important and best yardsticks. They've been issues/barriers since the dawn of humanity and inventions of new methods can be cited as benchmarks. From walking, to pulling something, to the wheel, to the steam engine, to the rocket ship, we're always asking "what can I power with this?" or "what can I do with this if I have more power?" To me, the slowdown and even pullback of transportation technology in the past 50 years is telling regarding scientific/technological barriers. What is the next technological advancement to rival the inception of the jet age or space travel 60 years ago? It was 66 years from the Wright Flyer to Apollo 11. It's been 51 years since Apollo 11.

I feel that we are in for a dramatic expansion in energy demand. The gating problem right now is the inadequacy of robot general purpose AI to successfully function in the real world. Once that problem is solved, labor is no longer a limiting factor. We can have robot cars, robot domestic servants, robots taking care of robots, robots mining more raw materials to make robots, and robots mining yet more raw materials to make those robots, and ultimately robots to achieve modest efficiency improvements by squishing those humans not needed for robot continuance and using them for axle grease.

image.jpeg

Not to mention off world travel, faster offworld travel and relativistic off world travel.

Get labor scarcity out of the way, and the sky is the limit! (or not, since we are talking space travel here..)

iollmann said:
Notably, we will eventually (very long term) need more power of the right kind. The Earth is in thermodynamic equilibrium with space. If we generally a lot more power here on the surface to power machinery and whatnot, that energy eventually all becomes heat, and shifts the Earth's thermal equilibrium towards hotter. This is no different from excess CO2 causing more heat from the sun to be trapped in our atmosphere resulting in global warming. We can have the same effect if we just generate enough power from power plants.

If the power plant is generating "new" energy that would not otherwise have been on planet Earth, then it heats up the earth. Examples might be fossil fuels, nuclear, and geothermal. If the power plant is using energy that is already at the surface of the Earth, such as wind, hydro or solar, then we are just using the energy that would have become heat to do work before it ultimately becomes heat. So those are more benign. But there are exceptions. We would not want to put large solar mirrors in space to increase solar power generation down here on earth, because that would be directing new radiant energy onto the surface that otherwise would not have been here, thereby increasing the total heat load. If we came up with some way to shed vast amounts of heat into space, then we could afford to go crazy with these other sources of power, but I am not sure what that would be. Maybe someone will build a 200 mile high thermoelectric generator + space elevator. :-)

Fortunately, the amounts of energy here are very very large. Solar irradiance on Earth is about 173,000 TW. Global electricity power production (doesn't include fossil fuels used directly for non electricity production) is currently around mean 3 TW. So it is pretty small at the moment, around .002%. But it is not inconceivable that our power needs might climb to 5-10 times what they are today in our lifetimes, and certainly could go much higher than that. It has doubled in the last 20 years. At that rate, maybe in 200 years, it will be around 2% of total solar irradiance and starting to cause big problems if it is not endogenous energy. The good news is that there is still a huge amount of unclaimed energy hitting the Earth in terms of solar radiation, and we should be able to power healthy economic expansion with that for some centuries to come. It just means papering more of the surface of the Earth with solar panels.
I don't believe we will get to the point where our own heat outputs make a measurable difference, as an actual heat source.

There is also about 20 TW coming out of the Earth (natural nuclear power .. cf https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...-as-source-of-more-than-half-of-Earth's-heat/ ) and so we are in the middle of petawatts in and dozens of terawatts out, and those two heat fluxes have to find an equilibrium with 'the rest-of-universe', which is therefore totally dominated by the radiation processes away from, and reflected off, our planet.

Whatever we do, and whatever the actual reality of those heat fluxes, we either work with them or .. we kill ourselves off. So we're not really going to change them on a millennia-averaged timescale, which I think is your "eventually (very long time scale)". Either we have little to no effect (and seek to change our behaviours if we are having an effect), or as a species we die off. Pretty simple choices, really, take your pick.