Career Path Planning: From Civil Engineering to Theoretical Physics

• Thread starter Akira
  • Start date
In summary, the goal is to gain more knowledge and experience in order to move on to a PhD in theoretical physics or computational sciences.
Akira
Hello, first I'd like to say that this is an awesome forum, secondly, I'd like some insight into what I have planned for myself.

I have an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering, I'm 27, I've been working on different infrastructure projects since graduating and I currently work for the UN developing sustainable infrastructure & shelter solutions in crisis. I'm not sure where I want my career to end up but I aspire to be a scientist, in the theoretical domain perhaps (theoretical physics...) but I have an open mind. I plan to do so according to the following steps, your insight into the bellow is most appreciated:

Step 1: Quit my job in 2 months time
Step 2: Obtain a certificate in Data Science (full-time over 3 months)
Step 3: Obtain a certificate in Theoretical Physics (2-week concentrated program)
Step 4: Start a masters in Computational Mathematics (I've already received my acceptance)
*time elapses*
Step 5: Finish a masters in Computational Mathematics
Step 6: Depending on financial situation, either find job (development, consultancies, research...) or continue on to a PhD either in Theoretical Physics, Computational Sciences (Data, Mathematics...)...

That's the rough outline for now. Does any of the above seem out of place ?

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Akira said:
Hello, first I'd like to say that this is an awesome forum, secondly, I'd like some insight into what I have planned for myself.

I have an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering, I'm 27, I've been working on different infrastructure projects since graduating and I currently work for the UN developing sustainable infrastructure & shelter solutions in crisis. I'm not sure where I want my career to end up but I aspire to be a scientist, in the theoretical domain perhaps (theoretical physics...) but I have an open mind. I plan to do so according to the following steps, your insight into the bellow is most appreciated:

Step 1: Quit my job in 2 months time
Step 2: Obtain a certificate in Data Science (full-time over 3 months)
Step 3: Obtain a certificate in Theoretical Physics (2-week concentrated program)
Step 4: Start a masters in Computational Mathematics (I've already received my acceptance)
*time elapses*
Step 5: Finish a masters in Computational Mathematics
Step 6: Depending on financial situation, either find job (development, consultancies, research...) or continue on to a PhD either in Theoretical Physics, Computational Sciences (Data, Mathematics...)...

That's the rough outline for now. Does any of the above seem out of place ?

Cheers.

Do you actually need the certificates? If you are very likely going to graduate school, these certificates will not really give you a competitive edge. The masters in Comp. Math may help to speed your time to degree (PhD), but it may not.

I would spend a bit of time trying to decide if you want to do the PhD or not. If you really want to, go for it now. If you are unsure, look to see if the MS in computational math will help you to get you where you want to go. Are the kinds of jobs that the MS's get from the Program you have been accepted into the kind of jobs that you are interested in?

If the end goal is to get a PhD in theoretical physics, why get a master's in computational mathematics? Is it just a subject you find interesting?

samnorris93 said:
If the end goal is to get a PhD in theoretical physics, why get a master's in computational mathematics? Is it just a subject you find interesting?
The OP said that he may want to get a PhD in theoretical physics or computational sciences. If it is the former, the MS probably serves no purpose, if it is the latter, depending upon the circumstances, it may count towards the "time-served" for obtaining the PhD.

Hello Quantum Defect, thank you for your response.
I currently do not have enough physics in my bag to go into any physics masters program, I also do prefer mathematics as a whole. On the other hand, I am well equipped with mathematics and I do enjoy it very much. Furthermore, like I mentioned earlier, that I imagine my PhD would be in a theoretical field, Theoretical Physics is only an example, I should have included more examples, say Pure Mathematics for instance. However this is speculative from my part, I might end up sticking to computation.

So, by doing a certificate in Data Science, I'm building up further on my computational skills, while the Theoretical Physics one, would give me more of a physics background in the likely case that I will eventually be doing be it Theoretical Physics PhD, Pure Mathematics, Computational Physics...etc.

1. What is the difference between civil engineering and theoretical physics?

Civil engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of structures, roads, and other infrastructure. Theoretical physics, on the other hand, is a branch of physics that focuses on developing mathematical models and theories to understand the fundamental laws of nature.

2. Can a civil engineer transition to a career in theoretical physics?

Yes, it is possible for a civil engineer to transition to a career in theoretical physics. However, it would require additional education and training in physics, mathematics, and theoretical concepts. It may also be helpful to gain research experience in a related field.

3. What skills from civil engineering are transferable to theoretical physics?

Civil engineering and theoretical physics both require strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Additionally, civil engineers often have a strong understanding of mathematics and computer programming, which are essential skills for theoretical physics. Project management, critical thinking, and attention to detail are also transferable skills.

4. How can a civil engineer prepare for a career in theoretical physics?

To prepare for a career in theoretical physics, a civil engineer can take courses in physics, mathematics, and computer science. They can also participate in research projects and attend conferences or workshops to learn more about the field. Building a strong foundation in theoretical concepts and developing strong mathematical and programming skills will also be beneficial.

5. What job opportunities are available for a civil engineer in theoretical physics?

Civil engineers can find job opportunities in theoretical physics in research institutions, universities, and government agencies. They can also work as consultants, helping to apply theoretical concepts to real-world problems in fields such as renewable energy, transportation, and environmental science.