Understanding the vmax = -wA Equation in Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)

• Thread starter Eats Dirt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary: A In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a mass on a spring and finding the period, angular frequency, and amplitude of its motion. The person asking for help initially had difficulty understanding the solution provided, but later realized their mistake in inputting the time for when the velocity is at its maximum. The formula for maximum velocity in simple harmonic motion is v_max = Aω, where ω is the angular frequency and A is the amplitude. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on the formula.
Eats Dirt

Homework Statement

A large mass bobs up and down on a heavy spring. Initially it is at the top. It achieves its maximum downward velocity of 94 cm s-1 in 0.25 s from its release.

What are the period, angular freuqnecy, and amplitude for this motion? Find amplitude .

Homework Equations

vmax=-wA

The Attempt at a Solution

i couldn't figure out the solution so i clicked help and this is what it said, I've never seen this equation used before and was wondering if this is always the case, because to me it doesn't make sense.

the graph starts at its max at t=0 so i take it as a cos function so i use the equation

x=Acos(wt)

derived i get

v=-wAsin(wt)

if t=0, sin(wt)=0 and all i get is zero can someone help me understand? A=0Edit: OOps i didnt input the correct time for when v = Max when i do this sin = 1 i got it now!

clarification on the formula would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are taking t=0 to be when the object is at max displacement ie x = A .
This corresponds to Cosωt =1, which means ωt = 0
This means that ωt = 90 or ∏/2 when the displacement = 0, this is the point of max velocity
v = ωA is the max velocity

yes in shm v[itex]_{max}[/itex] = A[itex]\omega[/itex]

Related to Understanding the vmax = -wA Equation in Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)

1. What is vmax?

vmax, also known as the maximum velocity, is the highest speed reached by a particle in simple harmonic motion (SHM).

2. What does -wA represent in the equation vmax = -wA (SHM)?

-wA represents the amplitude of the oscillations in SHM. It is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position.

3. What is SHM?

SHM is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and the motion follows a sinusoidal pattern.

4. How is vmax calculated in SHM?

vmax is calculated by multiplying the amplitude (A) of the oscillations by the angular frequency (w) of the motion, where vmax = -wA (SHM).

5. Is vmax always a negative value in SHM?

Yes, vmax is always a negative value in SHM as it represents the maximum speed in the opposite direction of the displacement from the equilibrium position.