Why is the range 1.5 to 17.5 for a Ferris wheel with 7m radius and highest point at 15.5m?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Veronica_Oles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Wheel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Veronica_Oles
Messages
141
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Ferris wheel has radius of 7m and its highest point is 15.5 m off the ground. It takes 45 seconds to complete one revolution. State the domain and range.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that the domain is D:{0<=t<=45}s
But for the range I thought the range was R:{1.5<=h<=15.5} but in the answer key it says range is R:{1.5<=h<=17.5} and I'm having troubling understanding why it's 17.5? Can someone help me figure it out.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement


Ferris wheel has radius of 7m and its highest point is 15.5 m off the ground. It takes 45 seconds to complete one revolution. State the domain and range.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that the domain is D:{0<=t<=45}s
But for the range I thought the range was R:{1.5<=h<=15.5} but in the answer key it says range is R:{1.5<=h<=17.5} and I'm having troubling understanding why it's 17.5? Can someone help me figure it out.
What is the function ?
 
SammyS said:
What is the function ?
That is not provided in the question, unless I have to find it?
 
Veronica_Oles said:
That is not provided in the question, unless I have to find it?
What is it in words ?
 
SammyS said:
What is it in words ?
Is not the question?
 
I can guess that you are referring to the domain and range of the function which relates the elevation of some point on the Farris Wheel to time. But it's just a guess on my part.

If this is the case, then you are referring to the elevation of said point as a function of time, as the Farris Wheel rotates.
 
Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement


Ferris wheel has radius of 7m and its highest point is 15.5 m off the ground. It takes 45 seconds to complete one revolution. State the domain and range.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that the domain is D:{0<=t<=45}s
But for the range I thought the range was R:{1.5<=h<=15.5} but in the answer key it says range is R:{1.5<=h<=17.5} and I'm having troubling understanding why it's 17.5? Can someone help me figure it out.

If you stated the question correctly, then your answer is right and the answer key is wrong.
 
Ray Vickson said:
If you stated the question correctly, then your answer is right and the answer key is wrong.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks though.