Domain of a Function with Sign Graph

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the domain of the function f(x) = 3/[(x^2-4x)^1/2], with the use of a sign graph and interval notation. The domain is determined by setting the denominator greater than or equal to zero, and solving for x. The correct method is to set (x-2)^2 greater than or equal to 4, or |x-2| greater than 2. This can also be illustrated with a sign graph of x^2-4x.
math4life

Homework Statement

Find the domain of the function. You will need a sign graph. Answer in interval notation.

Homework Equations

f(x)= (3)/[(x2-4x)1/2]

The Attempt at a Solution

No clue - I don't know how to use a sign graph or what the positive/negative results mean as solutions on a number line.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what a sign graph is.

But the domain is the x values for f being defined. There is a square root, so what is inside can't be less than zero. Since it is a fraction, the denominator can't be zero.

Sine graph?

I meant sine graph instead of sign graph. So what do I do? Should I set the denominator to greater than or equal to zero and solve?

I tried solving using the above method but I think my math is wrong. Nonetheless it is wrong because my teacher wants a sine graph on a number line...

1) (sqrt(x2-4x) greater than or equal 0
2) x2-4x greater than or equal 0 (this step is wrong I'm pretty sure - squaring both sides)
3) x2-4x+4 greater than equal 4
4) (x-2)2 greater than equal 4

... ? I still need the sine graph.

I suspect "sign graph" was the correct original intent.

When solving [itex]x^2-4x = x(x-4) > 0[/itex], this boils down to the cases:

[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{r}{ x > 0 \\ x-4<0} \end{array}[/tex]

[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{rl} {x<0 \\ x-4 >0} \end{array}[/tex]

This can also be illustrated with a sign graph of x^2 - 4x:

+ + + + + + + + + + + - - - - - - + + + + + + + + +
___________________0________4________________

And from this one can determine the domain...

Solving [itex](x-2)^2 > 4 \Rightarrow |x-2| > 2[/itex] is also valid.

--Elucidus

EDIT: Fixed a TeX gaffe.

1. What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values or independent variables for which the function is defined. It is the set of all values that can be plugged into a function to produce a valid output.

2. Why is it important to know the domain of a function?

Knowing the domain of a function is important because it helps us understand the limitations of the function. It tells us which values we can use as inputs and which values are not allowed. This is crucial in avoiding errors and understanding the behavior of the function.

3. How can we determine the domain of a function?

The domain of a function can be determined by looking at the sign graph of the function. The domain is the set of all real numbers that make the function exist. It is also important to consider any restrictions on the function, such as division by zero or negative values inside a square root.

4. Can a function have multiple domains?

No, a function can only have one domain. This is because a function must have a unique output for every input. If a function has multiple domains, it means that it is not well-defined and does not meet the criteria of a function.

5. How do we represent the domain of a function with a sign graph?

The domain of a function can be represented on a sign graph by shading the intervals on the x-axis where the function exists. These intervals are determined by the behavior of the function, such as where it is defined and where it is continuous.